New Hazel recurve.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi All,

Just finished this recurve from a bumpy bit of hazel I cut a while back when out playing in the woods. The bow is 64 inches long and pulls about 45-50 at 28 inches of draw. I reflexed the tips with steam and then heat treated the belly of the bow.
The finish is 2 dyes combined with lots of thin coats of poly varnish, not so primitive but much less maintenance.
The handle is just a few bits of leather wrapped and bound finished with another wrap, may get a leather grip if i find the spare time.

Thanks for lookin,

fulldraw.jpg

bumps1.jpg

fenceback.jpg

fencebelly.jpg

noc1.jpg

brace2.jpg

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That is beutiful work. How does it fire compared with say a modern reflex deflex longbow?

Not sure as i havent shot a glass bow in a long time. They are very different beasts but it is fast and accurate, even more so with a good archer behind it. Wouldnt know how to compare the two.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi Dwardo
Bravo that looks ace Bro.

Cheers mate, missus tells me there is a envelope at home for me so i am guessing its from you :) Cheers bud and will post out some bits of flint int morning.

That look gorgeous. How long did that take to knock out?

I actualy did make some mental notes of how long it took in "work" hours as in not including drying and re-hydrating times and its about 20-30 hours ish. The idea was to see how much i could sell them for and its still a lot even at less than minimum wage, something i beleive is very common place in the arts n crafts world. Something ill consider in the near future.

Thanks for all the nice comments all.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The best books are the "Bowyers Bibles 1-4" lots of great information from some stunning bowyers, very down to earth and honest.
Sites like paleoplanet are a brilliant rescource, wealth of knowledge from experienced bowyers all over the world.

Last edited:

warbzz

Jan 20, 2008
cheshire
just been out for first time in 15 months due to new born
had the pleasure to shoot dwardos bow
wow
280 yards he got within 10 inches but overall amazing shooting and bow
post the pics dwardo mate

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE