New Hazel recurve.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
just been out for first time in 15 months due to new born
had the pleasure to shoot dwardos bow
wow
280 yards he got within 10 inches but overall amazing shooting and bow
post the pics dwardo mate

Was about 200 yards mate 600ft ish, was still a fare old way though.
Will upload the photos tonight when i get home ;)

Here you go mate

P1010062.jpg

P1010063.jpg

P1010031-1.jpg

P1010061.jpg

P1010070.jpg

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks, PM sent Gary.
Not sure on the forum rules yet as i would only be able to knock one out every few months but will check with the people in the know.

M

MartinT

Absolutely beautiful piece of work.
I, too, would be interested in how much one similar would cost....

Cheers,
Martin

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Cheers mate, missus tells me there is a envelope at home for me so i am guessing its from you :) Cheers bud and will post out some bits of flint int morning.

I actualy did make some mental notes of how long it took in "work" hours as in not including drying and re-hydrating times and its about 20-30 hours ish. The idea was to see how much i could sell them for and its still a lot even at less than minimum wage, something i beleive is very common place in the arts n crafts world. Something ill consider in the near future.

Thanks for all the nice comments all.

grand looking bow there mate. :) re 'work hours', its true im afraid you seldom get back your man hours...

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks chaps. It is an old one this, strange how an old thread pops up every now and then.

grand looking bow there mate. :) re 'work hours', its true im afraid you seldom get back your man hours...

Not wrong there mate. Choosing the right tree which can be 1 in a 1000 and usually is, cutting, trimming, splitting not to mention carrying it miles to the car! Then seasoning for months or years and the bow isnt even started yet :)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Looks a beaut Dwardo,
But I had one question, if you are tillering, you do not have the bow stringed right?
or is it okay to do this?
Ýours sincerely Ruud

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
nice that this popped up again I remember drooling last time, fantastic work.

Cheers robin. It has been my goto bow for teaching people to shoot and has probably been shot by about 10 different people from 5ft to 6 n half feet tall.
Its been overdrawn many times, dropped, left out in the rain overnight rather than under a tarp, used to move brush aside whilst scrambling through the woods.
Its had a hard life the poor thing.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That's good to know as hazel like that is readily available and I can turn my attention away from the ash..

Did you have to de-crown it? I couldn't quite tell from the photos..

Just split out favouring one half. Hazel like a lot of trees has a nice oval cross section you can take advantage off.
Definitely worth heat treating the belly whilst adding an inch or two of reflex at the same time. Also and keep the belly flat and wide to help with compression. The high crown will take care of the tension.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE