New handle for Frosts Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Has anyone taken the handle off a mora or clipper?

I'm starting to get into this making side and want to start off cheap. Has anyone started out using the blade from a frost? I was wondering about holes or half tang, anything to bond/attach a handle to.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I've done this on a standard KJ-Eriksson mora #1 knife. They are indeed easy to mod and I plan to do a couple more. This one is reindeer, a strip of leather and some fancy wood that I received from a furniture-maker. Meranti or so. The fit is standard ultra strong epoxy. Just file in some additional notches in the tang for the epoxy to bond. I have never had any problems with loosening the knife.

mora_sideview.jpg

The blade was originally fitted in the standard red handle but it had no rivet at the back. The tang on this model is long enough to go allmost all the way through the handle. Frankly I was quite appalled by the amount of glue when I opened the handle - just a few drops.

mora.jpg

Good luck with the project and do not hestitate to ask for assistance.

-Emile

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Hi, Richeadon.

Yup, Ive had the wooden handles off 3 standard Moras and rehandled ,em.

I used the full length of the tang, each time, so, used a bolster each time, usually a bit o, brass.

Just a couple of tips, which I learned in the process;;;;;;

1. Araldite is fine for the job, just rough-up and clean the tang a bit..
2. Drill the hole BEFORE you start shaping anything!
3. Re-use that small end spring-clip, ( off the old handle), theyre good for centralizing the tang end.
4. Keep the damn dog out of the way.
5. The bolster needs to be as good a fit as you can get. You dont HAVE to use brass.
6. A good rasp, makes shaping much faster.

Lets see how you get on, best of luck.

Ceeg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
My advice is to head to the goodstuffshop (no connection - just a V happy customer - wifes not so happy mind....... :eek: )

you can get a cheap blade from them and use that and if you make a mess (unlikely) you will still have your clipper to use in the meantime!

I'm about to do an order with them mate, giz a shout if you want to add to the list;)

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
My suggestion is that you get a new blade, instead of dehandling (is that a word?) a mora. The mora is a perfectly good knife without a new handle, and you can get blades very cheap. I'm in the early stages of learning how to put on handles, and the blades are not expensive. I'm doing a 63mm lauri carbon progressive tempered one at the moment, and it cuts like excalibur. The slow araldite stuck the tang in just fine, to the point where the risk of making a mess of it by drilling holes for pins is not worth it.

This is my second knife making experiment. the first was when I put a new handle on a cleaver. If you have a decent old blade in the kitchen with a knackered handle, you could help it fall off and get a practice blade for free, and with less effort than cutting plastic off a mora. :)

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Graham,

I've just had a look as goodstuff, and it is, I'll be in touch later. Do you know how much shipping is (i'm looking at about £20 worth of stuff)? I'll share with you. Will pm you.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Thanks to all who posted on this, greatly appreciated. I'll have a go with an old mora and buy some new blades via goodstuff.

I'll post my attempts erm, well, might.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE