New 'Go Outdoors'-Newcastle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I spotted this place at West Denton before Christmas, while collecting dog food. It wasn't actually open at the time, they were still swapping it over, from a Wickes diy shop.

Anyway I've been meaning to call in, to see whats what and with all the snow more or less gone,I finally had a look this afternoon.

Apart from the actual location; which is a tiny 'retail park' thing, just off the A1:yuck: First impressions are pretty good.
I wandered in, past a small Vaude tent set up in the entrance, sadly; the only tent they have bothered to try to display:confused:

Anyway the next thing I saw was a huge floor area, packed with kit. It appears to be mostly good quality, branded stuff. I am quite puzzled as to why they don't have any tents on display, given the massive floor area but, hey ho!:confused:

I quickly got my eye on heavily discounted Craghopper Kiwi's, and amazingly, they had my size! ( 32 short ) I grabbed two pairs in 'bark' as my two original pairs of craghoppers, are getting very tired after more than 10 years of use:rolleyes: These were £14.99 a pair and they appeared to have plenty of other sizes available.

I also spotted among other things; 5 litre bottles of meths! discounted price:£13.50 odd iirc ,£15 if you don't have the card.
The thing is; if you buy it from the likes of B&Q in 500ml bottles, its almost £3! so even without the go outdoors discount, its still half the price I'm used to.

Just thought I'd flag this one up anyway, its the only decent sized,dedicated outdoor outlet (that I'm aware of) in the North East of England and I suspect it might not last all that long:( (It certainly won't if no one uses it)

A point to note: You have to take their 'discount card' which cost you £4, to get the discounted prices!

I was more than happy to pay for the card too, as it would have cost more than that ,for p+p if I had shopped online:)

No connection as usual

atb

R.B.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They're great for the essentials Steve and you can pick up some good bargains sometimes.

They opened one about 5 minutes from me last year so it now saves me a 20 mile round trip.

Dec 5, 2009
jarrow
I spotted this place at Westerhope before Christmas, while collecting dog food. It wasn't actually open at the time, they were still swapping it over, from a Wickes diy shop.

Anyway I've been meaning to call in, to see whats what and with all the snow more or less gone,I finally had a look this afternoon.

Apart from the actual location; which is a tiny 'retail park' thing, just off the A1:yuck: First impressions are pretty good.
I wandered in, past a small Vaude tent set up in the entrance, sadly; the only tent they have bothered to try to display:confused:

Anyway the next thing I saw was a huge floor area, packed with kit. It appears to be mostly good quality, branded stuff. I am quite puzzled as to why they don't have any tents on display, given the massive floor area but, hey ho!:confused:

I quickly got my eye on heavily discounted Craghopper Kiwi's, and amazingly, they had my size! ( 32 short ) I grabbed two pairs in 'bark' as my two original pairs of craghoppers, are getting very tired after more than 10 years of use:rolleyes: These were £14.99 a pair and they appeared to have plenty of other sizes available.

I also spotted among other things; 5 litre bottles of meths! discounted price:£13.50 odd iirc ,£15 if you don't have the card.
The thing is; if you buy it from the likes of B&Q in 500ml bottles, its almost £3! so even without the go outdoors discount, its still half the price I'm used to.

Just thought I'd flag this one up anyway, its the only decent sized,dedicated outdoor outlet (that I'm aware of) in the North East of England and I suspect it might not last all that long:( (It certainly won't if no one uses it)

A point to note: You have to take their 'discount card' which cost you £4, to get the discounted prices!

I was more than happy to pay for the card too, as it would have cost more than that ,for p+p if I had shopped online:)

No connection as usual

atb

R.B.

are the tents not displayed outside in the back?

rancid badger

I've no idea Brian, they could well be, now you mention it.:eek:

I really didn't have much time to browse, as swmbo was in the car and its best not to leave her too long or she loses her sense of humour:rolleyes:

I'll be back again soon, for a proper look round, regardless;)

atb

R.B.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I've no idea Brian, they could well be, now you mention it.:eek:

I really didn't have much time to browse, as swmbo was in the car and its best not to leave her too long or she loses her sense of humour:rolleyes:

I was gonna say I hope you left the window down a little bit...then thought that this could be construed wrongly!!!
Funny my other half would prefer to listen to music in the car than look round camping shops.
Dave

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yup, all their tents are on display in a yard out the back of the store. They have had to keep the door closed, and the area out of bounds, for 'health and safety' reasons as the site was covered in the white stuff since just after they opened. I've been there a few times now, although I haven't actually bought anything yet, and have been very impressed with the range of stuff they carry: sections for climbing, camp cooking, sleeping bags, caravanning, fishing, and riding, as well as loads of boots and clothing. They even have a Coleman blow up one man canoe for sale at £199, a saving of over £100 on the normal price.

Stryker

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2008
Durham
Thats a really good price on the Kiwi's RB. I've just ordered some direct at £25. Think I need to investigate this shop at the weekend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE