New from Biolite

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Remember how every once in a while tou would see something as kid in the toystore and be stuck to the window like a gecko covered in superglue?
That brief longing look before tears and screaming as you were dragged away... I wannnnt it!!!!!!!

Well this isn't like that. I even triple checked the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st
Biolite-StickSnapper.jpg
New for 2016 the Biolite Stick Snapper... and bottle opener

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
That could be useful if you've got to fill a woodgas densely with 1 inch sticks couldn't it ? Im not sure how many people actually take the time to do that, i myself believe in getting round the feeding a stove problem with a bigger stove, such as the sitlbug senior. Remember if you take a pocket stove thing it only weighs 50g anyway, and chopping sticks with your knife may not be adventageous. Stick it on your keyring with a ferro and stove and sak in your pocket, and your good to go.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Wow, if only nature had provided us with something to snap twigs ourselves, we wouldn't need fantastic innovations like this. Prehensile, gripping appendages at the end of our arms perhaps?

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I want one in "tactical" with a kydex neck sheath & endorsed by the sas, & it has to be made of titanium to save weight so I can carry more stuff I don't need.

Rob

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Am I missing something? Is there anyone on here who's ever thought to themselves 'if only I could snap these small twigs but I can't think of a way to do it - if only I had some sort of tool'. If so you probably really shouldn't be wandering about without some supervision!
Looking at the tool, I can't see that it provides much mechanical advantage so you aren't going to be able to break anything thicker than you could break with your bare hands. Still I bet they'll sell enough to make it worthwhile - that's the sad thing!

jius

Apr 12, 2015
All Over
Ooooh but it's "High Strength 6061 aluminium" hahaha. From their website review ===

Save your fingers and drown some suds.
Mike G. on Feb 23, 2016

Just received 2 of these, one for our BaseCamp and one for our CampStove, since we use them in different situations and places.

Having never thought about needing a mechanized/lever driven snapper, my fingers now thank BioLite for saving them from scratches and soreness.

After years on the trail breaking twigs and branches for use with our CampStove I started packing gloves with me. I knew what the inevitable twig search and prep would bring me and it was the one gripe my wife had with the whole wood burning approach.

Now, with this uniquely thought-out tool we've got the situation in hand (pun intended)!

Thanks BioLite, how do you keep hitting all the right notes?
[Biolite website]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
Ooh shiny. I'd probably want to put a nice handle on it. Maybe a nice custom leather sheath with multi carry options. Some days I might want it on my belt, some I might want to neck carry for convenience. Maybe have one made out of carbon steel to double as a ferro striker. Ooh, could even out and edge on it and then you wouldn't even need a knife.

Maybe this truly is the multitool we never knew we needed.....

Then again, maybe not

Alex

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I had to have one of those twig breakers but it was too expensive, so made my own.

Grinder, hacksaw and a file and a bit of scrap metal was all that was needed, snaps different diameters of twigs too.

:p

ELORA_02414.jpg

Last edited:

AdeInTokyo

Feb 13, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
Am I missing something? Is there anyone on here who's ever thought to themselves 'if only I could snap these small twigs but I can't think of a way to do it - if only I had some sort of tool'. If so you probably really shouldn't be wandering about without some supervision!
Looking at the tool, I can't see that it provides much mechanical advantage so you aren't going to be able to break anything thicker than you could break with your bare hands. Still I bet they'll sell enough to make it worthwhile - that's the sad thing!
No, you need to buy two to gain the mechanical advantage snap inch thick sticks.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
OK, I agree this is ridiculous, but let me play devil's advocate a minute.

With stoves (as opposed to open fires) you sometimes need sticks of a certain length. Sometimes the piece is just a teeny bit too long, but it's short and thick enough that it's difficult to break by hand. I know; this is a very specific category of stick, but it does happen and can be annoying where fuel is limited. This might - MIGHT - be helpful in those circumstances.

Well... that's my best shot, but I haven't even convinced myself...

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
hmm - yes it looks ridiculous.

OTOH, following my little accident, I don't have any strength in my left hand. It's not likely to come back for 3-6months I'm told and my wrist will remain vulnerable to dislocating.

So this little tool could be useful for someone like me. I'd prob have my opinel folding saw with me anyway but this silly little tool could actually be useful.

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
The Bundeswehr has already got there. My old German Army pocket knife has 3 different options for snapping twigs of different sizes - the bottle opener, the can opener, and the thumb-hole on the knife blade. Plus the stealth option, a purpose-designed serrated blade. I was wondering what that was for.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
hmm - yes it looks ridiculous.

OTOH, following my little accident, I don't have any strength in my left hand. It's not likely to come back for 3-6months I'm told and my wrist will remain vulnerable to dislocating.

So this little tool could be useful for someone like me. I'd prob have my opinel folding saw with me anyway but this silly little tool could actually be useful.

I too have very arthritic hands and wrists, and snapping stuff is often impossible for me; sawing small stuff like that in the amounts needed is fiddly and time consuming.

I've been using a six inch eye bolt with a bit of leather wrapped as a handle for some years now, works a treat and cost nothing :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE