New Forests

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I guess it depends what epople want to give up for this...

Unless new land is being created it can only impact on food prices by consuming farmland or house prices by consuming building land

Everything has a price

Red

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Woodland trust in cheshire is constantly on the lookout for new land to plant on. with us having so little old woods here in the flat county they're asking for land donations as they can't afford to keep buying up land anymore :(
myself and Calibanzwei were fortunate enough to be shown some recent planting schemes by the trust and they're turning into some very very nice area's. best of all they're planted simply for being there, no conifer or lumber producing trees just trees that look natural and are there for us all to enjoy.

if we can keep this incentive going from the gov't for a few years i reckon before we know it we'll have some lovely belts of green to walk in!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
There's plenty of land in the New Forest and it shouldn't impact on farming or housing in any way, there's very strict rules on development and land use there.
I think it's great that they're doing this, it would have been nice to see more, it's jsut a pity they didn't do it 60 years ago so we could enjoy it more :D

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That's fine if they plant the right type of trees (preferably) native species in the right locations

I suppose if they are after "locking away" carbon then they should be planting broad leaf stuff due to the greater ages they reach.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I support this in principal, although establishment of native species will hinge on attitudes to grey squirrel control. Unless this creature is removed entirely from the plantations, at most the majority of native species will last twelve years!

Swyn.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I support this in principal, although establishment of native species will hinge on attitudes to grey squirrel control. Unless this creature is removed entirely from the plantations, at most the majority of native species will last twelve years!

Swyn.

that is of course assuming that rabbits or deer don't have the trees before then, or vandalism or even weather, fungus etc etc.
remember that commercial where that dude says "i want to be a tree"
well guess what? i flippin wouldn't!

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
read the article on the bbc website and they are planning mainly native broadleaves with a limited conifer planting

think its good news myself and id rather have more woods and pay a little more for food than live somewhere thats all houses and farmland

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There's plenty of land in the New Forest and it shouldn't impact on farming or housing in any way, there's very strict rules on development and land use there.
I think it's great that they're doing this, it would have been nice to see more, it's jsut a pity they didn't do it 60 years ago so we could enjoy it more :D
I think the announcement means "additional forests" Tone rather than "more woodland in the New Forest"

Red

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I guess it depends what epople want to give up for this...

Unless new land is being created it can only impact on food prices by consuming farmland or house prices by consuming building land

Everything has a price

Red

There's plenty of space up here.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Swyn, why do you think you have to control creatures for a forest to survive more than a few years, squirrels and woods have been together since the start of time, the only creature that damages the planet is us, maybe its us that should be controlled...

im sorry for ranting on, but i find us to be hypocrites sometimes, all other creatures just try to survive and go about their business will no malace, where in a few generations we can strip 1/3 of the planets forests.

I for one plant native trees to balance out any damage i cause when up the woods.

how many members are on this forum? perhaps if we all planted at least 12 native trees a year it would make a small difference for our kids....and all creatures

there endith the rant

Col.....

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
Swyn, why do you think you have to control creatures for a forest to survive more than a few years, squirrels and woods have been together since the start of time, the only creature that damages the planet is us, maybe its us that should be controlled...

im sorry for ranting on, but i find us to be hypocrites sometimes, all other creatures just try to survive and go about their business will no malace, where in a few generations we can strip 1/3 of the planets forests.

I for one plant native trees to balance out any damage i cause when up the woods.

how many members are on this forum? perhaps if we all planted at least 12 native trees a year it would make a small difference for our kids....and all creatures

there endith the rant

Col.....

I attended a leacture back in the winter given by the head forester of highgate woods. The latest thinking with the greys is that they have reached a dangerous density. The damage they do is as a result of stress from overcrowding. Apparently they don't do this bark stripping in their native lands.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I suppose their numbers are so high because the predators aint there, mmm i wonder who got rid of them? but damn them all anyway, how dare they catch planes and move over here by their own free will!!

i just believe that if you leave nature alone, she will do fine by herself, she always adapts to changes (changes that may not suit us) if the squirrels and deer and every other creature damages 1 million trees, then let them be and plant 10 million trees.....

Col....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE