Newb & background

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CaliforniaKid

Sep 22, 2020
London
Hello Bushcrafters,
I've been a long time lurker on this forum. I've moved to the UK (From California) last year and thought it's time to intro and meet some likeminded individuals.

I've been an avid outdoorsman since my first camping trips with my dad when I was barely old enough to remember. He taught me the basic skills and the value & importance of using tools (he was a builder). Over the years I got really into backpacking which lead me down the path of ultra-light backpacking = minimal gear, minimal weight, fast & light. After many years and many miles, I realized I was missing a deeper connection with the outdoors than just passing through. While I still embrace the LNT mind-set of ultra-light backpacking, I love having the skills & confidence that come with bushcraft and primitive skills. In a way, it feels a bit like I'm tapping into a primeval part of mankind's ancestral past.

The biggest draw for me has always been being able to utilize the tools nature provides and thriving with only the basics. I signed up to this forum for two reasons - The first is that I'm moving from the coast in CA (where I've spent my entire life) to the UK, but close to much woodland and the opportunity to practice & learn. The second, which is part of the first is to utilize my new found outdoor-time to learn more about "the old ways" and find a deeper connection to our ancestral past by seeing the outdoors and nature through a different lens and ultimately be more self-reliant when I spend more time in the woods.

If I was to seek one skill to improve upon in the outdoors, it would be tree + plant identification. Mostly to know what the different trees' timber could be best suited for, what plants can be useful, etc...

Also - I have about 1.5 liters of EkoFuel bio ethanol (for stoves) - if anyone is in the North London area and wants it, free for the taking.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Welcome to the forum :)

Nice intro!

I share your interest in the 'primitive past'. The study of early man's skills and methods is a particular passion of mine. I have been studying Mesolithic and Neolithic life in Britain for a few years and I'm in the process of building a native plant (here before the Dogger Bank flooded) data base of food, medicine and utilitarian use - it's a life long study but very enjoyable.

Reactions: CaliforniaKid

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Welcome from Berlin!

Although I generally appreciate the idea to think nearly scientifically about lightweight equipment, It disturbs me that in the ultralight trekking community are things in fashion that turn during a longer hike from factory new to trash.

People who preach that it's irresponsible to pick up three sticks to use them as tent stakes have otherwise no problem to throw every few hundred kilometres the entire equipment into the bin.

I didn't follow the development in the USA but in Germany the vast majority of ultra light backpackers seem to be pretty strange in that point.

Reactions: CaliforniaKid

CaliforniaKid

Sep 22, 2020
London
Welcome from Berlin!

Although I generally appreciate the idea to think nearly scientifically about lightweight equipment, It disturbs me that in the ultralight trekking community are things in fashion that turn during a longer hike from factory new to trash.

People who preach that it's irresponsible to pick up three sticks to use them as tent stakes have otherwise no problem to throw every few hundred kilometres the entire equipment into the bin.

I didn't follow the development in the USA but in Germany the vast majority of ultra light backpackers seem to be pretty strange in that point.
I agree, Erbswurst. The trade-off for weight is obviously durability or manufactured goods over natural materials. I will say though, in the USA the ultralight equipment industry has become more cottage-based and the smaller companies are making better quality goods, often with lifetime guarantee. There is still a strong sense of conservation & environmental stewardship with any outdoor community. Their motto is 'light & fast', where the bushcraft community feels a bit more grounded in the present moment and observant of the surroundings.

Cheers!

Reactions: Erbswurst

CaliforniaKid

Sep 22, 2020
London
Welcome to the forum :)

Nice intro!

I share your interest in the 'primitive past'. The study of early man's skills and methods is a particular passion of mine. I have been studying Mesolithic and Neolithic life in Britain for a few years and I'm in the process of building a native plant (here before the Dogger Bank flooded) data base of food, medicine and utilitarian use - it's a life long study but very enjoyable.
Thank you, Broch!
That sounds very fascinating. I'd be intrigued to see your database or if you have any good reference materials to share. I live right near Hampstead Heath and walk it daily, trying to identify the plants. I recently read an interesting piece on the Doggerland. It does seem fascinating to think how differently the culture might have been had the land bridge not become submerged.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE