New Fire Lighter?

leemann

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2004
In the year 2022
It's a metal match, it uses lighter fluid and in the end of the match part theres some cotton wick material that soaks up the fluid and burns if I recall correctly.

Lee

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
I bought one some years ago to try. Although the body looks metal, it is plastic, so durability may be an issue. It does work as shown though, but the "match" part gets hot quickly, so you wouldn't be able to hold on to it for too long. But to light some other tinder, it should be fine. I think the peanut lighter is more robust.

I much prefer a ferro rod though, with a lighter or two as back up and a road flare for emergencies. Plus a bunch of tinder.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Yup, got something similar on a keyring,
A "Permanent Match" IIRC. They undoubtably work well if you ensure its got fuel and plenty of striking surface before you set off, but I find the fuel evaporates (even though sealed) and the ferrocium wears pretty fast.

ATB

Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had some of these, in various sizes up to 4" tall, for review years ago. They work fine if you remember to keep them topped up with fuel, but like Zippos - use the fuel or lose the fuel - the fuel evaporates in time. The strikers wear out fairly fast as well.
I prefer the ferro stick or flint and steel myself...but then I am a Luddite!:D

Gailainne

Life Member
BCB sells them, or they used to, like the guys said, they do the job..but the fuel evaporates, even with a decent seal, if your going the liquid fuel route I would suggest your better off with a zippo, not much bigger, more user friendly.

To be frank I would buy a multipack of bic lighters, much more reliable.

NB The only time in my experience where a petrol lighter wins out is in zero to sub-zero conditions, even then the lighter needs pre-warmed. (thats years of skiing in Scotland, while being a smoker)

Stephen

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
ahh that makes sense now! Thanks for explaining how they function. Yeah I too have a expensive zippo that someone once bought me, I dont use it at all, because I dont smoke or anything I find I dont use it often enough regards the fuel disappearing, no good to me :rolleyes: My backup lighter has always been the genuine blue-flame pocket torch, expensive but does the job well and has lasted.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Prior comments aside,
If you were to carry one and a vial of lighter fuel that Zippo used to sell - anyone know if they are still available? That could be a ticket out of a sticky situation, perhaps a little "survivalist" but you never know.

Ogri the trog

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Prior comments aside,
If you were to carry one and a vial of lighter fuel that Zippo used to sell - anyone know if they are still available? That could be a ticket out of a sticky situation, perhaps a little "survivalist" but you never know.

Alternatively fill it up then seal it up in a ziplock bag.

I'm wondering if they'll hold the fuel better the fuller they are, eg like perfume bottles, the more air in the top the more liquid can become vapour and will be lost as each time it's opened.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Anyone seen these before? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiR8IJCeLXg I've never seen the likes of them. I've requested more info from the user. Im just interested in the composition of the rod that seems to stay lit so well.

Watch again and see how easily he blows it out that how effective it would be a guy of the bbs site sent me one for free to show me how c#ap the are its a novelty item as they only cost a couple of quid its not a lot to lose to give it a try..hope that helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE