New Evidence of Ancient Briton Immigration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I find this whole subject of the ancestors of Britons fascinating. Every year new information comes available, mainly from DNA studies, that show the changes of people that inhabited these islands in pre-history.

A year ago, my ancestors were the Beaker people that entirely replaced earlier Mesolithic people; today, it looks like a 50/50 mix of Beaker people and a later mass immigration :)

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
If you are into indo European /British history, then you may want to check out a YouTube channel called survive the jive..mostly based on the old pagan beliefs.. but there’s also a lot about the history of ancestry & movement of people.

• Love
Reactions: CLEM

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I find this whole subject of the ancestors of Britons fascinating. Every year new information comes available, mainly from DNA studies, that show the changes of people that inhabited these islands in pre-history.

A year ago, my ancestors were the Beaker people that entirely replaced earlier Mesolithic people; today, it looks like a 50/50 mix of Beaker people and a later mass immigration :)

I, too, find the subject of the early human inhabitants of Nothern Europe fascinating. I also really enjoy reading about the Migration Period even if it's a bit too complicated for me to remember how it went. :) It's amazing to follow how practices, customs, beliefs and languages changed and rubbed off on eachother as populations moved about and interacted with others.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I remember in junior school in the early 70s our school was split up into a bunch of 'houses' which we were all put into for competitions and so forth - Normans, Saxons, Jutes, Danes. Then, in class, we talked a lot about Angles, Romans, Celts etc. How they lived, arrived, who they fought with, where they moved to. There were badges we had to wear too. There was a surprising amount of archaeology-based work, looking back.

It had the collateral effect on me of always thinking I was European. At the time, we never did get round to talking about C20th diasporas and the more general effects of colonization on the DNA of the UK's population, though.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
TBH, the knowledge on the whole subject of people movement and the effects on the UK's population DNA is changing daily. What is amazing is that the DNA of a very large proportion of western Britain and of Ireland is very different to that of the main population!

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Been thinking of the title..Ancient immigration.. was it Immigration or emigration, or was it just freedom to roam back then?
Britain was joined by doggerland after all?

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Please inform me when they discover that we all origin from a few old Jews who settled first at the tip of the mountain Ararat. And all the animals as well.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I just had a Dupuytrens Contracture repaired. It's when the tendon working your little finger shrinks and your finger curls in. Couldn't get gloves on in the end. Wossisname's got one - Bill Nighy.

Anyway, the doctor told me that it is pretty closely identified with the UK and comes from Scandinavian - i.e. viking - genetic material. Who knows if he's telling the truth or just making bedside chat. But, it is odd thinking that Vikings had trouble holding axes or playing guitar. Did Vikings have gloves?.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Been thinking of the title..Ancient immigration.. was it Immigration or emigration, or was it just freedom to roam back then?
Britain was joined by doggerland after all?

No, Britain was separated from Europe about 6,500 years ago, well before the Beaker people and the new migration occurred. The first people arrived after the last ice age about 11,500 years ago (the Mesolithic). They were entirely replaced by the Neolithic. There is about 10% Mesolithic DNA left in Western British DNA but that is believed to have been brought in and not left from the British Mesolithic - all rather complicated but fascinating :)

Reactions: TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Anyway, the doctor told me that it is pretty closely identified with the UK and comes from Scandinavian - i.e. viking - genetic material. Who knows if he's telling the truth or just making bedside chat. But, it is odd thinking that Vikings had trouble holding axes or playing guitar. Did Vikings have gloves?.

There is a lot of baloney talked about different physical traits proving certain ancestry. Luckily actual scientific evidence is now laying many to rest. I was told, by a self proclaimed modern Viking, that I had Scandinavian heritage because of the 'shape' of one of my fingers (or something like that) - he was right; I have exactly 2% Scandinavian DNA (OK, not exactly, plus or minus a couple of % probably). I hope his own self-assessment is not as far out!

The mapping of DNA movement around the world and through time is opening up completely new stories of peoples' heritage; I think it's great :)

Reactions: Aneirin and TeeDee

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think I may possibly have Scandinavian heritage because the oldest ancestor I can trace was called John Sæulf ( Literally "Sea Wolf" in old Norse. ) and he came from an area heavily settled by the Scandinavians kicked out of Ireland by Brian Boru but that would only be a guess.

I also have Anglo Saxon and Huguenot heritage as well.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
No, Britain was separated from Europe about 6,500 years ago, well before the Beaker people and the new migration occurred. The first people arrived after the last ice age about 11,500 years ago (the Mesolithic). They were entirely replaced by the Neolithic. There is about 10% Mesolithic DNA left in Western British DNA but that is believed to have been brought in and not left from the British Mesolithic - all rather complicated but fascinating :)
Every days a school day.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think I may possibly have Scandinavian heritage because the oldest ancestor I can trace was called John Sæulf ( Literally "Sea Wolf" in old Norse. ) and he came from an area heavily settled by the Scandinavians kicked out of Ireland by Brian Boru but that would only be a guess.

I also have Anglo Saxon and Huguenot heritage as well.

That's the problem though isn't it? Taking a somewhat simplistic view, if we go back to the 1600's (I can only go back to the 1700s) we each have over 1 million ancestors (assuming 5 generations per 100 years - so it is an approximation). That means that a single ancestor (assuming they are pure blood - if there is such a thing) would only contribute 0.01% to one's DNA.

That means, that if my 2% comes from a single 'pure' Scandinavian, they are from only around 6 generations ago - and there is no trace of that in my family history. Consequently, I have to assume it comes from multiple people further back.

I know a couple of people who swore blind they had Germanic blood in their family only to find, when they had their DNA tested, that their family came from Southern France and Iberia :)

Great stuff :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I haven't even bothered with the DNA thing because it is so undefining.

I have traced both sides of my family back as far as I can with records. ( 1570 Paternal 1685 Maternal ) Looked at where they and thier contemporaries lived and how much they were likely to have travelled and drawn conclusions from there.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I haven't even bothered with the DNA thing because it is so undefining.

I have traced both sides of my family back as far as I can with records. ( 1570 Paternal 1685 Maternal ) Looked at where they and thier contemporaries lived and how much they were likely to have travelled and drawn conclusions from there.
Same here, we’re from Yorkshire

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE