New design testing

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi guys.

This should have been posted before now, just not got round to it.

So i have been testing out the new design i made recently, It performed admirably in all tasks it was put to, i have no complaints whatsoever about it.

Its been used to batten through loads of seasoned ash logs, feather stick one of em, which with the wood been so dry and hard didnt make the best feather sticks i've ever done lol, but thats on me and the wood, not the knife. I whittled some sticks for cooking some fish, used it in the kitchen for prepping the fish etc. Just general stuff really and nothing too fancy :) It strikes sparks from a ferro rod better than any other knife i have used, strikes sparks from flint well, scrapes bark really easily and efficiently due to the concave spine. The knife has been used pretty hard, its not in the same condition it was when i started thats for sure :D But at the end of it all, it still shaves hairs and could even feather some reindeer antler without bother :)

Few pics of the process... and thanks for looking :)

Still need a name for this design..... any ideas guys? :)

Before i started...it looked like this http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111725&highlight

Battoned wood

Not the best featherstick in the world, but it worked :D

Sea Bas and Sea Bream to be sorted

Some salmon sorted

After playing with the ferro rod

Couple of pics at the side of Steves Spydie bushy for a sense of scale

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Said it before I like the design, looks very usefull. My first thought was a Billy Knife. (But then I thought the older amongst us may expect something from Predator - as in "What's got Billy so spooked."):)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Haha :)

A few people have said it looks like a stretched eagles beak with my stamp as the eye... so i'm leaning towards calling it The Eagle or something similar lol :)

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
That looks very nice, I really like the look of it, its different but I really like it. Looks like its working well too, thanks :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Haha :)

A few people have said it looks like a stretched eagles beak with my stamp as the eye... so i'm leaning towards calling it The Eagle or something similar lol :)

Very nice mate, I like that a lot

Surely it has to be the EB1 (Eagle Beak 1)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think the shape looks good, but more importantly, for me, it looks as if it'll make a great carver for the tight curve stuff as well as a good all - rounder..............atb mac

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
That looks very nice, I really like the look of it, its different but I really like it. Looks like its working well too, thanks :)

Aye, it does its job well enough... thanks mate :)

Very nice mate, I like that a lot

Surely it has to be the EB1 (Eagle Beak 1)

Cheers Rich. :) The EB1 eh? :) Well, its in keeping with the rest of my knives.. :)

Its still growing on me Mark at first I wasn't convinced but I like the look of it more each time I see it.
Maybe should call it beakie?
Cheers Sam...Its an unusual design really, so it will take time for the aesthetic appeal to shine through, :D

I think the shape looks good, but more importantly, for me, it looks as if it'll make a great carver for the tight curve stuff as well as a good all - rounder..............atb mac

Thanks Mac. General purpose was the plan with it, i think it will be perfect for that :)

Having seen it in the flesh, it's a cracking utility knife.

Cheers Ed :)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
i opened this thread to look at the knife now i'm bloody starving

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I like the Eagle knife too, what is the wallet damage on one of those beauties?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I found them on your website, having an oggle as i type

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Ere mark, have you tweaked the blade shape between then and now?
Flicking between this and the one you're current sales thread it does look slightly different, the older one having more belly maybe and more pointy?

Or it may well just be the camera angle confusing my poor brain

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
As that one was a prototype, it was always open to a good old tweaking. :D

I dropped the hump at the front a little so the spine didn't rise back up. Which led to a finer point which works better with wood. Only mine was like this one is, the rest had the mod applied. The handle at the front is also a little smaller/narrower on this one than on subsequent ones.

Ere mark, have you tweaked the blade shape between then and now?
Flicking between this and the one you're current sales thread it does look slightly different, the older one having more belly maybe and more pointy?

Or it may well just be the camera angle confusing my poor brain

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah, it needed it. For my hands anyway.

All my designs have been altered slightly in one way or another since i made the first of each.... they get refined into a better tool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE