New Bushy design. (lots of pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi guys.

I've made myself another knife, a new design i've been working on.. Not got time atm to go into all the spiel, and i'll be giving it a proper work out this weekend to see how it performs. Got high hopes for this one :)

Not sure it will be everyones cup of tea, but i like it. :)

Its 3mm 01, Couple of yew offcuts for scales, so theyre a bit different on both sides, and i havent finished the handle up as well as i normally do as its just a prototype/test piece.

What do you think? Comments welcome weather you like it or not :)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Always difficult to comment on a knife that is not in your own hand. I'm not a fan of a pronounced drop point, and my overall impression of its looks is that is looks like one of those kitchen utility knives.

Looks like you would have good control over the blade though, as it is a little shorter in the blade and longer in the handle. I'm sure it will perform well, being your steel.

I love yew as a handle material.

So, looks interesting, but not for me at the moment, although I'd like to see a thorough review by someone who has used one, and to know your thoughts behind the blade design.

Always good to see people trying things.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I like the straighter cutting edge without the normal upsweep. My only preference would have been to have more of a spear point but I guess you know where that comes from.
Overall I quite like it but would still drop the point more.
also is the grind a little higher at the tip than by the handle.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Well I love it! I think it looks great I can imagine that knife skinning an animal with certain ease. Whilst also being a joy to use for your general bushcraft duties. Love the handle.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Anything that looks like a kitchen knife generally works! Has a "Wharncliffe" feel to me

I love the fact Mark that you don't produce "me too" knives :)

I'm still waiting on a longer one though ;)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I'll repeat the above really. Lovely looking. Bit of an oriental veg cutter about it, but I quite like that.

The yew and your smaller logo are stunning. Would love to see that in the flesh :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hmmmm interesting. ....
Not certain what I think but definitely interesting.

Gimme a few more looks at it n I'll decide :)
Its a marmite knife.... granted :)

How about a folder with a similar profile? It's got the lines for that.
Definately looks interesting.

Niels.... when i get started on folders, you will be seeing all sorts mate. I have nice ideas for a barrel knife that opens without all the messing about taking the inner part out etc. ;)

Always difficult to comment on a knife that is not in your own hand. I'm not a fan of a pronounced drop point, and my overall impression of its looks is that is looks like one of those kitchen utility knives.

Looks like you would have good control over the blade though, as it is a little shorter in the blade and longer in the handle. I'm sure it will perform well, being your steel.

I love yew as a handle material.

So, looks interesting, but not for me at the moment, although I'd like to see a thorough review by someone who has used one, and to know your thoughts behind the blade design.

Always good to see people trying things.

Cheers for the feedback Mike :)
I'll have to make a couple and send 'em about. I'll pass on my thoughts and the reason behind the design tomorrow when i get more than 5 minutes. :)

Oh yes, whilst I remember, I volunteer to test one for you. You already have my address ;)
Do you work a knife hard enough mate? ;) :p

I like the straighter cutting edge without the normal upsweep. My only preference would have been to have more of a spear point but I guess you know where that comes from.
Overall I quite like it but would still drop the point more.
also is the grind a little higher at the tip than by the handle.

"tis not... :p Look at the first pic or two, i have it here, and you even had me measuring the grind height. Its all square across the board.... the pics must put an optical illusion across. :)

Well I love it! I think it looks great I can imagine that knife skinning an animal with certain ease. Whilst also being a joy to use for your general bushcraft duties. Love the handle.

Its designed to be good for nearly all common knife uses :) Cheers mate :)

Anything that looks like a kitchen knife generally works! Has a "Wharncliffe" feel to me

I love the fact Mark that you don't produce "me too" knives :)

I'm still waiting on a longer one though ;)

You will get one..... eventually :)

I like the look of that Mark, can't put my finger on it but it's def' got something.

I agree Tom... cheers mate :)

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Hmmm, odd one this: personally I don't like the look of it (as you say, it's a Marmite knife). However, I will add that it looks very useful. I second that it looks like a kitchen knife, and as others have said kitchen knives are very good at cutting stuff. I also agree that it looks like a great skinner (not that I know much about that). So regardless of personal opinion, I think that it's going to be very useful bushy blade. I know how you build your knives and trust your designs so I'm sure it'll be a future classic, good luck with the design!

Claudiasboris

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'll repeat the above really. Lovely looking. Bit of an oriental veg cutter about it, but I quite like that.

The yew and your smaller logo are stunning. Would love to see that in the flesh :)
Thanks mate :) I might make a couple for a passaround :)

Like it. Think the blade could do with being a touch longer to be in proportion with the handle for my tastes.

Cheers Mike. Fair enough mate... :)

The more I look the more it reminds me of a tanto style blade. Like a tanto bushy hybrid. A banto, or..... "Tushy" maybe? :p
Haha :)

Sorry Mark , I don't like the shape of that one. I think the concave spine throws the proportions askew.
Quite the opposite imo Colin :)... i think the concave profile vastly increases the performance of it.. Narrower profile means its more manouverable in the cut, makes a better bark scraper and firesteel scraper, it gives a more naturally comfortable thumb/finger rest, and proves good pivot points for carving aswell. :)

Can't wait. And good luck with this design.:)
Thanks Niels :)

Hmmm, odd one this: personally I don't like the look of it (as you say, it's a Marmite knife). However, I will add that it looks very useful. I second that it looks like a kitchen knife, and as others have said kitchen knives are very good at cutting stuff. I also agree that it looks like a great skinner (not that I know much about that). So regardless of personal opinion, I think that it's going to be very useful bushy blade. I know how you build your knives and trust your designs so I'm sure it'll be a future classic, good luck with the design!

Claudiasboris

Thanks mate :) Its a knife built for purpose over aesthetics, and yet i find it very aesthetically pleasing, this is the only knife i have made for myself, that i have no intention of selling. It is indeed designed to be a good skinner and food prep knife, but its also a great design for a wood working knife as the constant shallow curve of the edge allows more power in the cut that a straight edge does, so it will cut through wood much easier.. All in all, a great all rounder, which is what a bushy knife is supposed be :)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Quite the opposite imo Colin ... i think the concave profile vastly increases the performance of it.. Narrower profile means its more manouverable in the cut, makes a better bark scraper and firesteel scraper, it gives a more naturally comfortable thumb/finger rest, and proves good pivot points for carving aswell.

I'm sure you are dead right Mark, it's the Marmite thing, and I guess I'm just an old traditionalist.:hatscarf: Who knows, it may yet grow on me.:)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Only njust seen this one - I think that's a very appealing design, it looks like a great workaday blade to me; I've got a very old shoe knife in my harness-making kit that's shaped similar to this and it's one of the most efficient blades I've ever had. I'd be seriously tempted to buy such a thing.........................atb mac

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I like this, I like this a lot. Nice to see a non-clone bushcraft knife. that curved spine looks like it will facilitate some great knife control and comfortable grip when say choking up or doing smoothing strokes. Also looks like it will be very clever in the game and general food prep department. Congratulations Mark, if it handles as well as it looks it should it will be stunning. It's also as ever with your work darn pretty too.

ATB,
Colin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE