New "bushcraft" hobby - Rural Fire Force....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
I have recently decided to join our local Voluntary Rural Fire Force - I though doing a bit of volunteer work might be good for the soul and life in general - and should be fun too!
Rural Fire deal with vegetation and bush/forest fires here and it's an unpaid volunteer thing, with a training night once a fortnight, and the occasional day's training on a weekend. Last Sunday I was learning about constructing a firebreak, using different pumps and how to fill up water tankers from a lake. And rolling up lots of hoses!
There will be chainsaw courses and so on so I should learn a few useful things too.
Whether it's bushcraft is open to debate, but with a dry summer forecast (so that'll be torrential flooding then..) it should be quite interesting!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh you get to play with fire engines! We had two old ones (one with proper brass bells) when I worked for Buccleuch estates, excellent fun.

Though I must admit that standing in the face of 20 foot flames with a fire beater isn't good.

Did have some fun with a bulldozer, explosives and a chainsaw trying to stop one else where though... driving through flames the lot. Really good fun. Go on volunteer.:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE