New Bowie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I've had an idea to make one of these for a while. It's forged from EN9 with a 200mm blade and a 120mm handle. The leather is 3mm veg tan. All the bits and pieces are brass, buffalo horn and leather.

bowie1.jpg

The belt loop bit (the baldrick? or frog? or whatever...) is detachable should the need arise, and is locked with a sam browne stud to stop it sliding apart. It's a tight fit, so sliding isn't really likely!

bowie2.jpg

I was going for the 'lived with' look and, probably due to my rubbish grinding skills, have given a look that suggests having been freehand sharpened since first seeing service at Gettysburg!

bowie3.jpg

bowie4.jpg

bowie5.jpg

It should make a fairly useful camp knife, or it could end up hanging over a fireplace with a family fable wrapped round it, "That? yes, that was my great, great, great uncle's, he had it with him at Rourke's Drift, I think it was..."

Anyway, what do you think, Guys?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That looks how you'd think a mountain man's knife would look... very nicely done. Love the sheath, compliments it really well.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Well, thanks, All, for your kind words! There's a few more "mountainy" ones in the pipeline, so, when they're all done, I'll have a sale!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Well, thanks, All, for your kind words! There's a few more "mountainy" ones in the pipeline, so, when they're all done, I'll have a sale!
Hi

I do like that and would love one if you're making several more. That said and if its an option, would you make one sanse the leather and horn spacers, place the guard next to the blade heel and make both the pommel and guard from the same steel or at least not brass please??

Here's hoping!

Thanks

K

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
That's pretty much what I had in mind, I'll probably do another with some very old wrought iron in it somewhere as well!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a bonny looking life & sheath there. Though it looks nice one all shiny & new I think it'll look.even better with the patina of age.
Really nice work.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
That's right, once it's been used for a while it'll develop its own character. That's yet another reason why knives should be used and not just displayed!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE