New bow saw at Woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Well I'm off for a couple of days from tomorrow so I'm going to have a go at making one. I've got a blade, cord and bolts already so I just need the wood. I think I'll do a cheap wood one as a Mk 1 and if it comes out OK and I learn by a few mistakes then I'll do a Mk 2 from some nice wood. I'll post a picture when It's done which may be a few days. Thanks for the posting Les. I'm quite looking forward to making one now. :35:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
falling rain,

Now theres a thought - remember the "pimp my firesteel" thread....

How about a "build a bucksaw" competition :D ?

Oh by the way, like the old kings nominated a "champion" to fight for them.....I nominate weaver (I've seen his woodwork) :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Tell you what - if a few people are interested I'll sort something out in the way of a small prize.

If anyone would be up for it, stick a post on here and if theres any interest I'll sort something out. If anyone wants to show a step by step guide to help us "all thumbs" guys that would be stunning! I have a few ideas for a real budget version too

Anyone up for a challenge on the long dark nights :D ?

Red

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i would love to see a small tutorial so i can make myself a buck saw
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm let me think

Do we need some basic instructions or is it "make it up as you go along"?

I'm happy to do a "show and tell" with basic instructions in a couple of weeks time (got the parents down next weekend) or shall we leave it open?

Anyonw have any thoughts or shall I just kick it off?

My initial thoughts are rather like the firesteel competition - give people some time so say....End of January or so?

Red

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Yeah lets do it........just kick it off. :headbang: :headbang: Sounds good to me, end of January. I've got my own idea on how to go about mine, but maybe for 'all thumbs folks' as you put it, a quick sort of guide maybe an idea.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It would be great if you could FR - I would be delighted if this was another practical skill that we could show people how to achieve on the forum

Red

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
British Red said:
Hmmm let me think

Do we need some basic instructions or is it "make it up as you go along"?

I'm happy to do a "show and tell" with basic instructions in a couple of weeks time (got the parents down next weekend) or shall we leave it open?

Anyonw have any thoughts or shall I just kick it off?

My initial thoughts are rather like the firesteel competition - give people some time so say....End of January or so?

Red

Oh right. I thought you were going to do a show and tell. I'm happy to do a written explanation but don't know if I can manage to post a step by step photo guide (tutorial) (because I'm really pants with computers) unless I could put them on a CD and post to someone who may be able to upload them on here. ( I can do gallery, but not direct postings into threads) :( :confused: :eek:

If you can make a blade yourself Wayland go for it mate. That'd be way way beyond my skills. Shop bought blade for me :rolleyes:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shop bought blade is fine ;)

Don't worry FR, I'll do a show and tell no problem...it'll just be a couple of weeks

Red

Rod

On a new journey
Angus Og said:
I don't see what the problem is, you don't want it don't buy it. If it lasts you a life time of use is it such a bad thing and no I didn't buy one.

It's called freedom of choice you want to buy it at that price that's up to you it's your money. I've spent more than that on booze in a night out and had nothing to show for it but killer hangover.

Iain,

The point I've been making (probably pretty badly :( ) is that I didn't have that sort of cash and made my own from an ash sapling - see earlier in this thread. It works just as well as a shop-bought one, and is in some respects easier to fix/repair should anything go wrong. I learnt a lot from going through the process and found it rewarding. It also works a treat :D I have been trying to suggest that folks considered the merits of making their own for a fraction of the cost as an alternative. Then you get something that is build specifically to meet your needs.

Please, I'm not dissing Ray, or anyone else who makes/has made for them a working tool - more power to them. But as bushcrafters we should be able to make our own tools, if needs must (as has been my case).

I guess given that a "pimp my bucksaw" idea has been mooted folks are getting the idea ;)

I wasn't intending to cause offence to anyone, or to get balshy :(

Peace

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Rod said:
Iain,

The point I've been making (probably pretty badly :( ) is that I didn't have that sort of cash and made my own from an ash sapling - see earlier in this thread. It works just as well as a shop-bought one, and is in some respects easier to fix/repair should anything go wrong. I learnt a lot from going through the process and found it rewarding. It also works a treat :D I have been trying to suggest that folks considered the merits of making their own for a fraction of the cost as an alternative. Then you get something that is build specifically to meet your needs.

Please, I'm not dissing Ray, or anyone else who makes/has made for them a working tool - more power to them. But as bushcrafters we should be able to make our own tools, if needs must (as has been my case).

I guess given that a "pimp my bucksaw" idea has been mooted folks are getting the idea ;)

I wasn't intending to cause offence to anyone, or to get balshy :(

Peace

I agree Rod, we should be able to make our own tools as far as our own individual skills allow. I know my limits and a birchbark canoe for example (although an extreme example) would be something I wouldn't even consider attempting even if I could get hold of some thick enough bark. :confused: Patricks craftwork (amongst many others on here) is absolutely sublime and if I get anywhere near to making some of the items he knocks out I'd be a happy man.
Making your own where possible, personally gives me a lot of satisfaction and an extra sense of satisfaction when I use an item I've made myself. I'm sure I wouldn't win any 'pimp my bucksaw' competition but I'll have a crack at it, and I WILL have a saw I've made myself and enjoy using it.....Well put Rod.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE