New bow saw at Woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
Has any one else seen the new bow saw for sale at the woodlore site? it looks beutifully made. I was hoping to get her in doors to get me one for crimbo, but would like to hear from anyone that has got one from them so they could let me know if it is a good buy or not.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
85 quid for a bucksaw - it should be gold plated for that money :eek: ! Have a look on ebay mate - there's a bloke selling them for £20 quid. Or make your own :rolleyes:

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Blimey. £85. :rolleyes: He's come up in the world since the programme I saw when he had a blade rolled up in the inside of his billy and he fashioned a handle as he needed it.

Looks nice though - I suppose that's the price you pay for something hand-crafted.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
As said, a lovely looking bit of kit but £85 :yikes:

I prefer my laplander...in one of rapidboy's sheaths it looks the biz...damn site more compact too :D

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Les Marshall
Though you might be intrested in the Buck Saw made by Vaude ive had mine for about six months now its a great bit of kit and packs into its own handle. Vaude also do a couple of other designs.
Sadly not many folk in this country selling them, I got mine from Island Outdoors in Portree on the Isle of Skye 01478 611073 their about £30.
Not to great for extreme cold being metal but brilliant to pack away.The blades about twice that of a Laplander and has been so far really robust despit looking flimsy.Heres the link http://www.vaude/public/hxfront/index.hbs/outdoor/en Ed :)

mikesknives

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
cornwall
barefaced bloody cheek thats what I call it. £25 quid for a laplander I was in the local ironmongers today and the laplander was £14.99 and to cap it all the un-woodland cool black and orange one (exactly the same saw) was £13.99 with a free extra blade.

And that saw lovely but if you can cut a basic mortice and tenon, getting a really nice piece of wood and a blade and a set of chisels you'd still save yourself about £50.

Or better yet getting into the woods and using your carving skills make one for the price off a blade!!

I quite like Ray but he knows how to take the **** that's for sure.

The saws at the Vaude site are the Trailblazer Products Sawvivor and Trailblazer. Prices seem double what they are here in Canada, but I guess transport costs. They're excellent products and have served me well with a LOT of use over years.
The wood framed take down saws can either be bought for a lot less than 85 pounds (I'm having trouble believing that figure) - or made up. There must be a lot of carpentry fanatics who would love to offset the cost of all their expensive tools by making up a take-down frame saw - pretty simple. you might even find someone with a saw set and files who can really tune blades for either hardwood or softwood.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Although I'd rather make my own as i think £85 is a lot of money for a saw, I have to contradict what everyone else has said about the price. Yes its expensive, but your buying a hand made item from raw materials. That means that not only are you paying for the materials but your paying for someones time to make it. Yes, there probably is a bit of mark up on it after all it does have a logo on it, but £30 for a machine manufactured bit of metal that probably cost £5, if that, to produce is also a markup.

So personally i'd say that if you have the money burnging a hole in your pocket, why not buy an item that has been made by someone with the reputation like Chris Boyton, ok its not a bow :), but im sure the craftsmanship is first class. I think it would have to end up as an art piece though after spending £85 on it.

Failing that..make one

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I like the look of it and agree that the price is a bit :eek: but as also mentioned its handmade and these days labour is the cost of everything as materials cost nawt.

The only thing that puts me off this kinda saw is the size and weight, add this to the axe, knife, folder and all the rest of yer kit its starting to get a bit heavy. I can see this being cool if you have a lot of sawing to to at home but as far as luggin this thing around or trying to find room for it in my pack no thanks.....

I allways take an axe and a small folding lap lander type of saw that was about 5 quid and weights nothing :D

That Duluth saw is highly regarded and seems like a good deal at 20 pounds.
The frame just has to be rigid on a take down saw. The place to put money or effort is in sharpening and proper setup of the blade, because they don't come very sharp any more. Just remember that while a sharp and properly set up blade is vastly more efficient, it also is capable of really wicked cuts.

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
to be fair to RM the laplander saw is sold at the same high price on nearly every other bushcraft site. RM has help to make bushcraft highly popular but he's not the only one cashing in - its quite noticeable how other woodlore knife type makers have jacked up their prices quite markedly this year.....

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
A good bucksaw can be made pretty easily. Threaded rod works great as a tensioner. This one takes down and stows nicely in a canvas bag. Very solid too, with no wobble.

bucksaw2b.jpg

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
CM Burns said:
to be fair to RM the laplander saw is sold at the same high price on nearly every other bushcraft site. RM has help to make bushcraft highly popular but he's not the only one cashing in - its quite noticeable how other woodlore knife type makers have jacked up their prices quite markedly this year.....

agreed. Its not like anyone is holding a gun to anyone's head.

Most things that are sold in shops these days are 'overpriced' - if you look around, shop around you can find it cheaper online or somewhere else.

There's a reason that some outlets can charge more - because they have a better brand name, history, reputation, whatever.

Ray Mears loves what he does, sure, but he also has to earn a living, provide for his family etc. etc. I don't begrudge him using his name and reputation to make a higher profit margin, its smart business.

I'm pretty certain he would still use his rolled up blade in a billy can if he's travelling light.

Reactions: redcollective

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE