New belt and cross-draw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Just finished a belt and sheath for 'Lupo' as i never got on with the Baldrick and fancied a nice belt sheath and a belt to carry it on. The sheath is a cross draw 'Inspired' by a gentleman from across the water that i'm sure you all know. They say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Well, i hope RB is not insulted as this is a poor imitation, but, i had to give it a go and it does the job.

I'm not sure about the firesteel loop on the top, it seem's to interfere with the clean lines. Hm not sure.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just finished a belt and sheath for 'Lupo' as i never got on with the Baldrick and fancied a nice belt sheath and a belt to carry it on. The sheath is a cross draw 'Inspired' by a gentleman from across the water that i'm sure you all know. They say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Well, i hope RB is not insulted as this is a poor imitation, but, i had to give it a go and it does the job.

I'm not sure about the firesteel loop on the top, it seem's to interfere with the clean lines. Hm not sure.

Well thisR.B. likes that a lot:D Beautiful work;)
I think your right about the loop though, maybe be nicer underneath?
Where does the firesteel striker stow? and is there a reason for not using the back of the knife?
Cheers
RaBa!

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
very, very nice indeed, I've been trying to figure out a design for a cross draw as I normally wear mine round my neck tucked under my left arm but a left hip cross draw is really what I'm after.

In my minds eye, I had the angle slightly bigger, ie not as shallow between the belt and sheath. Yours looks like about 15 degrees or so, I was thinking about 30 to 45. Can you think of any reason why this wouldn't work? Although the shallow angle seems less likely to catch on things and is definitely unobtrusive. May have to rethink that too.

What does the back look like, any photos of the belt loop? I had thought it could just loop off the top and get stitched at the bottom.

Can you tell I'm looking for 'inspiration' too ;)

Cheers,

Alan

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Thanks for the comments guy's, just to answer a few queeries.

RB, that was the first firesteel i put my hand on, not really intended for this project and more just to illustrate the firesteel holder feature.

Chainsaw, sorry mate, but i just designed it by eye. Really did not analize the angle too much, but did think that, if it was any deeper, then it may stick into my left thigh. The belt loop is the same piece as the front of the sheath. I drew the basic shape then simply extended it over the top and down the back. Before i stuck it down, i thought i'd try an integral firesteel holder, rather than an after thought as some seem to be. As it is, it's not obvious, so it can be used or not. I'm sorry, i have not got pic's of the back at the moment as i found it is a 'Snug' fit on the belt. If your going to do this, check your measurments!

Topknot, cheers mate, are you going to Glyn-Y-Mul this weekend?

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Sorry mate , I'm on standby and no one wanted to swap. My son's are gutted but have a good one .
Cheers Topknot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE