New baker tent!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Eric_Methven said:
I'm after a wild boar skin next - still with it's face and trotters intact. There's a place that breeds them for meat and they have started having the skins tanned.

If I were to go down the synthetic route I might as well just give up. It's not just looking the part, but feeling the part as well. It just don't feel right wearing man made fibres when you are portraying something ancient.

At Chopwell last weekend (where the photos were taken) I got some awful looks from a few animal rights types. But there was lots more positive interest in the skins from the ordinary public.

Eric

What would you use the boar skin for Eric?

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Abbe Osram said:
Anyhow I dont want to do the same mistake talking politic here, so we both should stop here and hand the Thread back to Eric.

cheers
Abbe

You already have. And I had already moved on. Glad you took offence m8, not as offended as the wolf or the bear though.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi,

There appears to be a bit missing off the drawing, the roof and back wall are there but the bit that sticks out over the fire is missing - is it not made out of one bit cloth?

Great tent BTW!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yeah - I second that Bill Mason plug ! This was his favorate design of tent, and iI can see why - A big picture window to look out on the world from, rather than hermetically sealed into a nylon nightmare.
Bills fantastic book "Song of the paddle" (Hmmm seen a great website of the same name somewhere.... ;) ) is all about Wilderness tripping. It has full details including plans and dimensions of the Baker or Campfire Tent. The only difference I can see is that Bill Masons has sides to the "porch" or canopy, so these can act as a windbreak. There is even a photo in the bok of it being used in deep Canadian snow, with a woodburner inside, and a plastic sheet over the front, with the chimney pased through.
I really like this design of tent, even my Wife likes it ! so maybe we have a compomise between my preference for a tarp and hers for a dome tent ?
She even suggested that we save up and buy one !
They are available from the States along with aload of really nice traditional kit from Frost River.....

http://www.frostriver.com/tents_tarps/campfire_tent.htm

Mmmmm one day....... :rolleyes:

Well done Eric -thats a fine setup ! Your resourcefulness continues to amaze me.
Cheers
Rich

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Roving Rich said:
Well I do know of an industrial sewing machine gathering dust..... :naughty:

Next we will be quilting down bags....

Cheers
Rich

always wanted a down bag ........ anyone

now this threads gone:offtopic: again :tapedshut

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I believe you can get canvas in wider widths but mine came from Afghanistan and probably passed through umpteen different countries before ending up in a small asian fabric supplier in Lancashire. I got mine for £1.75 a metre. Normally it cost around a fiver or more a metre. I got it at that price because the lady who made it up for me also makes yurts and she buys the stuff by the thousands of metres at a time.

Eric

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I can see that the Baker tent is a fantastic bit of kit once up. Obviously not a good choice for backpacking, but for canoe camping, or for short distances from the car, it looks great.

Any idea of the weight?
And roughly how long does it take to put up?

I'm also wondering how it would fare in winter. In bitter cold, a tipi type tent with stove would be ideal, but I'm wondering about a Baker with a reflector/long log type fire. I guess a lot of wood would be needed, but at recent Scottish meets lack of firewood has never been a problem. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE