Never saw that comin'...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
...apologies for the poor grammer, but the pun is very intended...

So there I was minding my own business sawing logs on the on the circular saw...(you can see it coming, can't you)...being sensible cos its sharp and nasty, when "boing"...and a log flips and takes my hand in the general direction of the 18" blade...I react swiftly, but not quite swiftly enough...Ooo!.. That smarts...:yikes:

Grabbed my thumb and applied pressure and took a minute to assess the situation. Took a peek...not pretty, but at least I couldn't see bone, and no arterial bleed...just a mass of serated flesh...

First aid consisted of tissue pad and gaffer tape...until I'd finished the logs, then cleaned it up and covered in antiseptic cream and mepore. This morning at work inadine and fresh dressing...

I'd show you a picture of my thumb, but its not pretty...

I count myself very lucky I could so easily have lost my thumb...or my hand...a salient warning...man versus metal; metal always wins...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So easily done. Too easily done.
I know folks who won't use them without wearing armoured gloves after a few near misses.

Glad you're okay.

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dont tell me that - I've just got a new saw bench!

Hope it heals okay mate. 18" is a monster too

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
My uncle was only about 4' tall and had a lovely scar on his chest and belly from when he slipped and fell onto the blade...it just clipped him but needed loads of stitches. My dad finished sawing that lot of logs on his bench, but the next lot he had to do himself. He used the same bench for the next 10+ years....he had to...it was specially made for his height.
All the family had benches and that was the only accident anyone ever had in 40 odd years of using them

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
What always amazes me is this:Oooow!!Ive cut meself!..now wheres my camera.:D

btw, your image has violated photobucket terms of use!

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
What always amazes me is this:Oooow!!Ive cut meself!..now wheres my camera.:D ...

:eek: It is a rather peculiar habit, it has to be said...tho' in my defence I only took it today when changing the dressing, and not at the time when I was more concerned with pressure application...

btw, your image has violated photobucket terms of use!

Naaah! comes under medical reference :rolleyes:

Dread to think what my deer skinning comes under...perhaps that has a sub-clause of its own...

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
Dad always used pieces of wood shaped to the job he was doing whenever he got within arm's length of the blade. Kept all his fingers for 35 years of cabinet-making until he started to go to the workshop hungover.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE