Never ending search for My perfect sleep system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I have just bought one myself.

Bought it on ebay for £78.

Only just got it so I haven't tried it yet but seems good quality - got plenty of combinational options. I want to wait until it's cold in February to find out how good it is.

It weighs about 3.8kg and will take up most of room in your ruck sack - or you can carry it externally in its stuff sack.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It has Six 1'-wide nylon webbing straps adjust by ladderlock buckles

One foot wide! Bloody hell, that's a strap to be proud of! I think they've gone and done a Spinal Tap with their measurements there!

It certainly looks the biz, but the pack size must be enormous.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I have just bought one myself.

Bought it on ebay for £78.

Only just got it so I haven't tried it yet but seems good quality - got plenty of combinational options. I want to wait until it's cold in February to find out how good it is.

It weighs about 3.8kg and will take up most of room in your ruck sack - or you can carry it externally in its stuff sack.

Have you tried it for size Jon???

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
It is quite bulky - I have taken it out of the stuff sack and just stuffed it in my Webtex ruck sack - there is some room to spare but not much. You could leave the patrol bag behind and save some room - for the price I though what the hell I have all the options I need.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
It is quite bulky - I have taken it out of the stuff sack and just stuffed it in my Webtex ruck sack - there is some room to spare but not much. You could leave the patrol bag behind and save some room - for the price I though what the hell I have all the options I need.
It does indeed look to cover all the options,that was my exact thought! Have you actually got in it and tried it for size/fit/comfort mate???

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Have you tried it for size Jon???

Actually now you ask I haven't climbed inside it yet - I must do that!

It does seem quite large - but then again I am only a medium sized bloke who is 5' 10" - but hay it is for americans!

Saying that I think they do a supersized version of it - not joking.

I will climb inside tonight and let you know

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Actually now you ask I haven't climbed inside it yet - I must do that!

It does seem quite large - but then again I am only a medium sized bloke who is 5' 10" - but hay it is for americans!

Saying that I think they do a supersized version of it - not joking.

I will climb inside tonight and let you know
Thanks Jon mate,that would be appreciated,I am a bulky build you see,not exactly fat but just beefy.I know its all a trade off,comfort,size,pack weight and so forth but getting a good nights sleep in comfort is one thing I try not to compromise to much on,if you have not rested properly then you don't fire on all cylinders the day after!

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks Jon mate,that would be appreciated,I am a bulky build you see,not exactly fat but just beefy.I know its all a trade off,comfort,size,pack weight and so forth but getting a good nights sleep in comfort is one thing I try not to compromise to much on,if you have not rested properly then you don't fire on all cylinders the day after!

I'll give you all the dimensions I can and some photos (if I can work out how to up load them) - give me a day or two and I'll get you the info that is missing from the description on the link you sent.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I'll give you all the dimensions I can and some photos (if I can work out how to up load them) - give me a day or two and I'll get you the info that is missing from the description on the link you sent.
Your a gentleman and a Scholar Jon!:)

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
CLEM

I did a quick check and the basic dimensions are as follows:

Across the shoulders it is somewhere between to 28 to 29"

Across the feet it is somewhere between to 16 to 17"

Length from head to toes is somewhere close to 78"

I got inside it - it feels quite roomy for me around the shoulders. Length is OK - feet quite close to the bottom of the bad.

Let me know if you want to take any more measurements and give you any more details. Like I say I think they do, do a bigger version - might be worth checking to see if any UK supplier does the bigger version if you think you need it.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
In what seems to be a never ending search for My perfect sleep system I came across this,seems a very good price for all what you get to me,any opinions or experience of this particular kit???

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr3008.html

Strikeforce supplies have the same kit. I tried the sleep bag for size and as I am a big chap it was way too tight for me whereas the British green maggot I settled for has ample room. That said, if you fit inside then you'll find this modular US kit of being of high quality and the sleep bag looks mighty fine in black :)
I used my green maggot with the gortex bivvy and under tarp several time last winter and was very pleased, too hot if anything and left the bag undone until the 3am chill comes. This time around I am combining it with the special forces hooped tunnel tent from strikeforce. Using the green maggot without liner or gortex outer at moment, that might change as temperature drop.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Strikeforce supplies have the same kit. I tried the sleep bag for size and as I am a big chap it was way too tight for me whereas the British green maggot I settled for has ample room. That said, if you fit inside then you'll find this modular US kit of being of high quality and the sleep bag looks mighty fine in black :)
I used my green maggot with the gortex bivvy and under tarp several time last winter and was very pleased, too hot if anything and left the bag undone until the 3am chill comes. This time around I am combining it with the special forces hooped tunnel tent from strikeforce. Using the green maggot without liner or gortex outer at moment, that might change as temperature drop.
I'll scratch that from the list then,I am of a bulky build meself,not overly tall but wide and deep through and I struggle to get comfortable in most bags Ive tried.
Ive just got one of those Special Forces bivi's from Strikeforce a couple of weeks back meself.Hope to try it out soon.

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
I
Ive just got one of those Special Forces bivi's from Strikeforce a couple of weeks back meself.Hope to try it out soon.

I found a minor amount of condensation gathers on the rubberised base, more testing needed on my part as it might have been my damp camelbak. My dog was in there with me in the bag hold area, great head warmer :lmao: I'm 6foot4 and he is a 21" tall lurcher and we had enough room, so you will find it has ample space. Defo need to peg it out to get the hoops to stay max height after a night of wiggling around.

sasbivvy.JPG

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Like I say Saffy,I really cannot wait to get out and try mine,soon hopefully too!:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE