neutralisng powder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
H

halo

could anyone tell me if useing neutralising powder to take the taste of iodene away from water would taint the 58 water bottle? :confused:

leon-1

It shouldn't taint a 58 pattern water bottle, I have used sodium thyosulphate (sp??) mixed in a water bottle before adding it to a jerry can that had been chemically treated with calcium hypochlorite. There was no noticeable taste difference.

The lifesystems ones I think you will find are citrus based and are pretty good (helpfull hint, If you can't stand the taste of chlorinated water add two or three drops of citrus to the water container and it will take the edge off of it).

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Most neutralising powders are vitamin C based (Asorbic Acid). it is important to ensure you have allowed the proper contact time before adding the powder.

I personally would only add neutraliser to my water bottle and leave my main water supply with the disinfectant working away.

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
As an aside, regarding Neutralising Tablets - try Boots "Effervescent Vitamin C Tablets". They're 1000mg of Vitamin C and do the same job just a lot cheaper. :)

Personally, I'd never "flavour" a '58, which is essentially what the neutralising tablets do, as I find the plastic retains the flavour for a while. However, with the current cost of '58 WBs there's no reason not to have a "clean" one when using tap water and a "dirty" one that you don't mind tasting of orange when you're out in the boonies.

HTH

H

halo

thanks guys,the reason i asked the question was i use a pre mac pump and hate the taste,when i flavor drinks i tend to do it in my crusader cup rather than the bottle as it saves my brew and or food tasting of orange or what ever :eek:
so if the neutralising powder wont taint anything i'll try that option provided it tastes fine and then get some of the boots tablets :) cheers guys off to the river tomorrow to try it out might even stay a few days to try my new hamock out from magikelly :D as if i needed an excuse ;) ;)

halo

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
If I remember correctly, one of the reasons the 58 bottle is black is to allow the iodine to continue working, ie if exposed to light the disinfecting stops. This provides a wound wash solution and also will clean cup etc. Frequently the neutraliser can be added too early.
I remember being trained to only ever add neutraliser to my cup not my bottles.
Hope I wasn't too pedantic! Good luck with the hammock. Can't wait to get mine.
All the best
George :)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Trying to remember my water supply training :confused:
As far as I remember, we aimed for 6 ppm FRC (parts per million free residual chlorine) at the supply point, this is a bit higher than a domestic supply (3-4ppm FRC?) to take account of contamination during/after supply.
The cleaner the water at source the less chemical needed to be added as the chlorine was "used up" on killing bugs and the residual chlorine was there to take care of further contamination
The higher concentration of chlorine did leave a slight taste and detaster tablets should be used at last opportunity as it stops the chlorine working on possible further contamination, from bottles etc.

Any water engineers out there feel free to correct me, it has been a few years since I have covered this subject!

H

halo

from what i understand the neutralising powder i've got from nomad only removes the chemical taste and colour and does'nt actualy stop the iodine from working but please correct me if i'm wrong as all i want to do is get rid of the taste :)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
halo said:
from what i understand the neutralising powder i've got from nomad only removes the chemical taste and colour and does'nt actualy stop the iodine from working but please correct me if i'm wrong as all i want to do is get rid of the taste :)

Halo. the neutralising powder will stop the iodine from working. therefore you should wait for the correct contact time before adding the powder. the instructions on the bottle should give you a rule of thumb. I wait a good 30 mins depending on the quality of the water source.

The neutralising powder does not effect the iodines chemical effect on the thyroid so people with thyriod issues should use chorine instead.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I came accross a salesman in an outdoors shop, in London, who tried to convince me that taste neutralising tablets were purification tablets ;)

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
charliefox said:
try Boots "Effervescent Vitamin C Tablets". They're 1000mg of Vitamin C and do the same job just a lot cheaper

Thats a really usefull tip. Think i'll be off for a quick trip round boots next time i'm going to need to treat some water. Nice one.

anthonyyy said:
I came accross a salesman in an outdoors shop, in London, who tried to convince me that taste neutralising tablets were purification tablets ;)

Hmmm thats almost as bad as the spotty teenager in millets in Bakewell while we were visiting the Peak District tried to explain to a couple, who were looking to treat the water at their campsite, that Iodine removed the iron from the water and that the clorine tablets removed the clorine so they should buy both otherwise it would leave one or the other in the water. :eek: talk about trying to maximise sales.

I just had to take them aside and explain to them what they actally did.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE