Nettles for an idiot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cormac

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2006
S. Ireland
if i walk up to a clump of nettles what can i do to them to turn them into edible?

do i go to the high ones, new ones..

what???

when do they stop stinging??

cooking?
easy recipies... etc,,, :You_Rock_

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
They don't stop stinging, you need to grab them firmly and they won't sting you where you grabbed them but probably catch you on the wrist or somewhere when you are not expecting it.(ask me how I know :rolleyes: ) The fresh tips are supposed to be better, and the woddy stems are bitter so get the newest growth you can.
I have made nettle tea in exactly the same way as you make normal tea, but stewed.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
well pick the new young leaves normally at the top, once you boil them they are edible i think and it removes the sting
make a sort of soup using sausages, nettles and potatoes
leon

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
No matter how many times I hear about how wonderful nettle soup/tea/etc is, I don't think I'll ever have the guts to pick them, never mind eat them :p

*fell into a nettle patch when I was wee* :rolleyes:

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
nettle soup is lovely and im not joking i was very suprised when i tryed it actually
leon

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Rays latest TV series recommended just wilting the young tips over a fire and eating them as they are. He made appreciative noises, so I guess I'll give them a try sometime soon.

Ogri the trog

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
They taste okay but they aren't sensational.

Pick the youngest leaves from the top of the stems for the best flavour.

Best to wear gloves and long sleeves IMO when you are picking them.

There are a few recipes for nettle soup around on the Net. Basically they involve boiling the leaves with potatoes and some stock. Add garlic and onions for extra flavour.

Blend the boiled results and you have a nice healthy soup.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Ogri the trog said:
Rays latest TV series recommended just wilting the young tips over a fire and eating them as they are. He made appreciative noises, so I guess I'll give them a try sometime soon.

Ogri the trog
I tried that last weekend and they tasted fine...
Cormac, firstly avoid area's where people walk dogs and farmers spray crops, like on edges of fields with crops in. Pick the tops of young nettles, before they have flowered, and use them as you would use spinach. The stings go with cooking. As mentioned, nettle tea is easy, just put a few leaves into some boiling water and leave to infuse for a few minutes and drink. It may take you a while to get used to the taste, but its not too bad at all....

rancid badger

get yourslef a copy of Piers Warren' s '101 Uses For Stinging Nettles'

its a bit of a quirky little book but for £3.50p, its worth a look. not huge amounts of detail and I think its really a collection of ' not a lot of people know that' type facts but interesting.

check out Amazon, if you put an order together for more than about £14 you get postage free.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
It's "be nice to nettle week" next week:
http://www.nettles.org.uk/

The bit about the dogs visiting - won't that all wash off once I boil them in
water (I'd also be giving them an extra wash anyway!) - or do I want to
avoid those nettles?

I'm a bit limited to parks and wastelands around here and plenty of dogs
- though I suspect they don't get too close to the nettles.

I've been browsing the nettles of late, peering at them wishing that I'd
remembered to bring gardening gloves with me, and possibly secateurs.

Jo

xylaria

Jodie said:
It's "be nice to nettle week" next week:
http://www.nettles.org.uk/

The bit about the dogs visiting - won't that all wash off once I boil them in
water (I'd also be giving them an extra wash anyway!) - or do I want to
avoid those nettles?

I'm a bit limited to parks and wastelands around here and plenty of dogs
- though I suspect they don't get too close to the nettles.

I've been browsing the nettles of late, peering at them wishing that I'd
remembered to bring gardening gloves with me, and possibly secateurs.

Jo
The woaws of a urban bushcrafter!

When I had a dog he would p on nettles, they didn't bother him. I have always presumed that the piddle would wash off. But saying that with nettles if shows any sign being a canine loo or worse, I pick the tops that are atleast a foot in from the edge. As for tools, i have found that if I put my coat on backward and my hands half way down the sleves I can pick the tops off the nettles and collect them by using the back of the coat as a bag to collect them.

My other top tip for urban bushcraft is never put knees, hands or bottom on the ground when foraging from urban hedgerows. Hypodermics and broken glass can hide really deeply in leaf litter.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Ooh thanks - that's some extremely good advice!!

I did pick some lime leaves (little ones) the other day - from a branch
so well above dog height, but they were covered in tiny crawling mites
so I decided against eating them (or even carrying them home to wash
them as then I'd have been infested ;) ) but might find another lime
tree and see if it's miteless.

By mites I mean tiny yellow things with legs.

Jo

xylaria

Jodie said:
Ooh thanks - that's some extremely good advice!!

I did pick some lime leaves (little ones) the other day - from a branch
so well above dog height, but they were covered in tiny crawling mites
so I decided against eating them (or even carrying them home to wash
them as then I'd have been infested ;) ) but might find another lime
tree and see if it's miteless.

By mites I mean tiny yellow things with legs.

Jo

Mother Nature Has Cooties :lmao: Mother Nature Has Cooties :lmao:

you only see them if you look closely enough, all wild food has crawlies. Welcome to real life, not the pesticide cellophane wrapped excuse for one. Whether it is squirrel fleas, sheep ticks, mushroom maggots, mites stuck to leaves, it is a big welcome to wild food if you find yourself competing for it with insects.

You do get used to seeing creepy crawlies, but I do try not eat them, saft aren't I?

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Aiye,

There were a couple of beetles floating on my mixture when I started off my nettle beer the other day (Harry Hill stylee) MMMMmmmmmm - beetles!

xylaria said:
Mother Nature Has Cooties :lmao: Mother Nature Has Cooties :lmao:

you only see them if you look closely enough, all wild food has crawlies. Welcome to real life, not the pesticide cellophane wrapped excuse for one. Whether it is squirrel fleas, sheep ticks, mushroom maggots, mites stuck to leaves, it is a big welcome to wild food if you find yourself competing for it with insects.

You do get used to seeing creepy crawlies, but I do try not eat them, saft aren't I?

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Dunno if this was already mentioned but the stings of the nettle are all pointed upward. So if you take the nettle in an upward movement (from down to up) you'll get stinged far less. I mostly don't get any stings when collecting them this way, and when I do get stinged, I just ignore it and it goes away quickly.

Besides that, the grandpa of my girlfriend stings himself deliberately with nettles to improve his reuma. So it ain't that bad ;)

I like to add nettles just to my normal stews.
I definately gonna try just heating them over a fire, great simple idea!

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
If you don't already have a subscription to BCUK mag I suggest you get one :)
The latest edition has some very good information on nettles and their uses e.g using the juices as a method of reducing the stinging. In fact there are very good articles in every edition, top marks to Tony.

I've never heard of using the juice before but intend to try it next time I get stung - unintentionally that is :lmao:

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I gather nettle tops with a bowl and a pair of scissors. Snip the top 2-3 inches and let them drop into the bowl. Cook them and use like any leafy vegetable. Nettle and watercress soup is a favourite

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
matt-w said:
Aiye,

There were a couple of beetles floating on my mixture when I started off my nettle beer the other day (Harry Hill stylee) MMMMmmmmmm - beetles!

I bet it gives that lil extra taste which you don't even have to pay for ! :lmao:

On a more serious note, do any of you wash your forraged greens (I know that it's not recommanded for mushrooms though) before consumption / cooking / brewing. Not that I don't fancy some extra proteins, but you know ... as a preference, I like my dishes with a minimal ammount of wild beetles :rolleyes:

Cheers,

xylaria

fredcraft said:
I bet it gives that lil extra taste which you don't even have to pay for ! :lmao:

On a more serious note, do any of you wash your forraged greens (I know that it's not recommanded for mushrooms though) before consumption / cooking / brewing. Not that I don't fancy some extra proteins, but you know ... as a preference, I like my dishes with a minimal ammount of wild beetles :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Contrary to widely held international belief the British do wash their greens. :lmao:
I wash mushrooms as well, TB infected badger might of sneezed on it.
It just when you are in the field and fancy a snack we just brush off the brush off the beetles and stuff and eat it, and joke that they eat that kind of thing in the colonies. :D
:joke:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE