Nettles and blackberries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Omega

Jul 11, 2004
UK
Hello, everybody,

I was hiking yesterday along White Horse Trail. The path was fully overgrown by nettles and blackberries in many places. I could not pass there, but when I diverted from the path I got lost a few times and could not find the path again for quite a while.

Therefore I have a qustion to you - what should I do if the path is overgrown by blackberries and nettles, I cannot divert and cannot move bushed using walking sticks? I guess I should chop them, but do you carry machettes when you walk in the UK?

Regards,

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I would have thought if there was a legitimate use for a tool, then that was it..
It's a shame when the paths are so little used that they cannot be used..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
innocent bystander said:
I would have thought if there was a legitimate use for a tool, then that was it..
It's a shame when the paths are so little used that they cannot be used..

It's amazing the difference a daily walk with a pair of pruners can make :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Toddy said:
It's amazing the difference a daily walk with a pair of pruners can make :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Your not wrong. One o the footpaths around the village became overgrown from zero traffic, and there was a complaint by a dog walker who decided to do her once a year walk along there. I volunteered to do the duty with a strimmer, and while strimming about a dozen ramblers came from the other way. You can't win.. :rolleyes:

Omega

Jul 11, 2004
UK
Yes, I guess electric pruner will do well, except carrying... Any other recommendations? I also think shovels might do the job.

What do you cary to deal with bushes? Or you do not deal with them at all? I am thinking - if I get myself GPS, I will find the trail again, as long as I have a map.

Omega

Jul 11, 2004
UK
Do you, guys, experience problems with nettles and blackberries when you walk on countryside? I am just wondering if I will have this problem all the time or it was just one rare experience, so I do not need to worry about it too much.
I would not want to have something to deal with bushes and carry it with myself all the time with little use.
Regards,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE