Net making help required

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I have been beavering away practicing my net making but seem to be having one or two teething troubles that I hope some of you old sweats might be able to help me with. I am at present getting about 50% of the knots right and the other 50% seem to turn out as slip knots. How can I perfect my tying technique to prevent this from happening? I seem to be all fingers and thumbs at the moment :(

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Sounds like the loop of your knot is slipping over the V of the mesh you're knotting onto, if that makes any sense... ;)

If that's the case, there's a few things to watch for:

1. Make sure that the working end lies between your thumb and forefinger when you pinch the knot, rather than under your thumb.
2. When tightening the knot, make sure to pull the working end sideways first, before pulling down to finish the knot.
3. Don't let go of your pinch too early.

It's really not easy to explain in words... ;)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I had exactly what Dunc describes (I agree its easier to see than describe). I found doing some practice with larger string./cord to be good till I got the hang of the position of the thumbs& fingers..

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Thanks for the response lads, all three replies have been most helpful and Gregorach you are absolutely right, my loop is slipping down over my 'V'. John C - the tip with larger string is a good one and the link you provided Red Kite, puts into good clear diagrams what Gregorach is saying :)

:You_Rock_

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
Check out the "Nets and Net Making" forum at:
http://knotical-arts.com/pineapple/viewforum.php?f=17
Gregorach has excelent suggestions. Once you are familiar with the way the knot should look try the "Tatting method" thread. There is an article under "netmaking" at this site with the same information.
Some people, especially from the UK have had trouble logging onto the above site. Try
http://www.knotical-arts.com/granthall.html
click on "Pineapple Knot Forum" and then to "Nets and Net Making" Tony

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Tony - I have been checking out some of your work and all I can say is :notworthy Fantastic site and some real food for thought. I also checked out, as suggested, the tatting method and as I now seem to have got the drop on the netting knot I intend to give it a go. Thanks to all who have replied to my original request :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE