Nessmuk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I see quite a few threads talking about "nessmuks", which appear to be some form of knife. I notice several custom knife makers making some form of nessmuk knife, but as a bit of a blade novice, I've been wondering. What exactly is Nessmuk? where do they originate from? and what are they designed to do? Why would I want a Nessmuk over some other knife?

J

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
I believe they originated from George Washington Sears, or as he's more commonly known as nessmuk. This style of blade is mainly used for butchery and skinning and not so much for wood related tasks because of the wide blade, They typically have a flat grind or a convex grind, both great for game prep but not great for wood. You might want a nessmuk style of blade If you do a lot of butchery and skinning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
It's a skinning knife pattern favoured by an old woodsman and writer of the same name. Nothing spectacular about the design but people like the lore and mimicing trends that favour old stuff.

So.. unless you want to work the meat off a moose or deer then it's not really going to do a great deal for you that a more universal knife can.

But, get one, play with it and trade it when you're bored. lol can't argue with that mentality mate, it keeps me happy anyway and I'm a miserable git.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads/pdf/woodcraft-and-camping.pdf
quote from page 8 (I could not copy the illustration) "A word as to knife, or knives. These are of prime necessity, and should be of the best, both as
to shape and temper. The "bowies" and "hunting knives" usually kept on sale, are thick,
clumsy affairs, with a sort of ridge along the middle of the blade, murderous­looking, but of
little use; rather fitted to adorn a dime novel or the belt of "Billy the Kid," than the outfit of
the hunter. The one shown in the cut is thin in the blade, and handy for skinning, cutting
meat, or eating with. The strong double­bladed pocket knife is the best model I have yet
found, and, in connection with the sheath knife, is all sufficient for camp use. It is not
necessary to take table cutlery into the woods. A good fork may be improvised from a beech
or birch stick; and the half of a fresh­water mussel shell, with a split stick by way of handle,
makes an excellent spoon."
Read the whole thing - you will learn loads ... I did!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Within reason it can be whatever floats your canoe. Here is my Alan Wood/Klenchblaize Nessmuk in Damascus and Dall Ram horn (with bolster):
179738e0-dd23-4b4e-8676-981f712b7360_zpsdf17xdob.jpg

K

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads/pdf/woodcraft-and-camping.pdf
quote from page 8 (I could not copy the illustration) "A word as to knife, or knives. These are of prime necessity, and should be of the best, both as
to shape and temper. The "bowies" and "hunting knives" usually kept on sale, are thick,
clumsy affairs, with a sort of ridge along the middle of the blade, murderous­looking, but of
little use; rather fitted to adorn a dime novel or the belt of "Billy the Kid," than the outfit of
the hunter. The one shown in the cut is thin in the blade, and handy for skinning, cutting
meat, or eating with. The strong double­bladed pocket knife is the best model I have yet
found, and, in connection with the sheath knife, is all sufficient for camp use. It is not
necessary to take table cutlery into the woods. A good fork may be improvised from a beech
or birch stick; and the half of a fresh­water mussel shell, with a split stick by way of handle,
makes an excellent spoon."
Read the whole thing - you will learn loads ... I did!
Thanks John, that makes really interesting reading.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I suspect that the hump on the Nessie was would have been rounded a little to help remove the skin from an animal and that the depth of the blade was to allow him to turn it upside down to be used as a fleshing tool to remove any meat and fat left on the inside of the hide, so it could be taken home to be tanned.

Just my thoughts though..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE