nessmuk knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
HI I had a bash at making a nessmuk knife. I was looking at some pictures in the net about it and I read a small article on them.

I made this one from 2mm thick L6 steel. Its 9inch in total length 4.5inch handle and 4.5inch blade. I made it with a saber/scandi grind so it stays strong. The handle is made from some maple wood I had hanging about and it been oil treated 2 times. The blade was hardened 75% the way up and tempered at 250°C.

757nessmuc_2.jpg

757nessmuk_1.jpg

It’s fitted with 2x 6mm solid brass pins and a 6mm brass lanyard hole all fixed with epoxy.

I have handled a fair few knifes in my time and never have I held a knife that screamed “use me” so much. The balance of the knife is draw forward so it just begs to be chopping into something. It is most defiantly the point in between a small axe and a knife. It makes short work of any branches or small trees. I made the knife with a slight lip at the back so when chopping you can catch the back of the blade with the small finger for extra snap. The handle is long enough for different hand sizes and grips and you can easily move the hand from a back chopping position to a more forward slicing action.

Thanks

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I like nessmuks alot (mines a bit thick as I only had 4mm 01 to hand). Yours is an excellent rendition. :biggthump

Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
HI l6 is saw steel its a high carbon steel it is used in allsorts of cutting blades like band saws and circular saws etc. Its a great knife steel and one of my favourites.

basically its a steel designed for cutting so it suits knifes quite well

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE