Need recommendations and feedback on my kit!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MaddogMatt

Oct 9, 2015
Suburban West Birmingham
Wild country zephyros 2 is a great little tent, available at around £120 but it is good. Lightweight (1.65kg) and roomy enough for you and your kit, or 2 people at a push.

Mountain Hardware Lamina 20 is good and around £70 but if you are tall you may want the long version. I'm 6'2" and have the standard length.

As for lighting I'd get a decent headtorch and a cheapo 9 LED 3x AAA b&m special for 99p. Scrub the solar idea, if it pisses down you could charge it but it may break, or keep it sheltered and have no power when it gets dark...

Cook kit I have a pathfinder set which both the cup and bottle can sterilise water, and I carry a small wood stove £7 off eBay, and I also take a 100g canister and a msr microrocket. I have a 14cm zebra on order and have a trangia copy but rarely carry it now as it is quite bulky and I don't really like meths. It makes kit stink if it leaks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

MaddogMatt

Oct 9, 2015
Suburban West Birmingham
As for the knife, a Mora HEAVY DUTY is the one to go for. The clipper companion is about £11 but the HD is only £15. I made that mistake and bought twice.

For a legal carry just look on Heinnie.com and select the legal carry box. Good ones include Spyderco UKPK, Byrd Tern, Boker plus XS and CRKT long mah 5 or journeyer. Spend about 30 to 40 quid and you will have a good knife that will last well.

I would go for plain blades rather than aggressive tactical looking ones with strange shape blades like the one in your link, much easier to keep sharp.

On that subject I'd also look for a small fine grit stone, some people use fine diamond to carry, but a proper water stone is often 1000/6000 grit. Then strop on leather with starkie blue or other and it'll stay shaving sharp.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE