and yet more books: Mountainman, Barry Davies, Survival etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
:) :eek: :)

First up:

The SAS Encyclopaedia of Survival by Barry Davies. Chock full of info. Hardcover in very good condition with only the slightest wear on the bottom edge of the dust jacket. Bit more expensive to post because of it's size. so bargain at:
£12 inc P&P SOLD :)

Survival by Len Cacutt. Mostly from a military perspective but still has lots of good stuff. Very good condition. Large book so more expensive to post:
£5 inc P&P SOLD :)

Adventure Trekking: A Handbook for Independent Travelers by Robert Strauss. " An ideal blend of practical information, honest writing and wisdom borne from experience in the field. It;s the perfect companion for independent travelers who want to explore the joys of trekking - let everyone else ride the tour bus."
£3 inc. P&P SOLD :)

Trail Cooking by John Weiss. American book, so info on plants not so useful in Europe. Lots of other useful info, chapters include: Planning meals and menus; Light is Right; How to tote the toughies; High energy snack foods; Wild edible plants; Nuts, berries, fruits and roots, Indispensable water; Cooking over fire; Trail stoves; Tools of the trail; Food storage in camp; Reflector-oven cooking; The versatile Dutch Oven; Sourdough Cooking; Ultralight Trail Cooking; Survival Cooking; Squeaky clean.
Hardback, Expensive to get in the UK. Dust jacket a bit battered, some hand-written notes inside so:
£10 inc P&P PRICE DROP TO £8 SOLD :)

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. "Using the true story of a young man, who in 1992 walked deep into the Alaskan wilderness and whose SOS note and emaciated corpse were found four months later, Krakauer explores the obsession which leads some people to explore the outer limits of self, leave civilization behind and seek enlightenment through solitude and contact with nature."
£3 inc P&P SOLD :)

Survival of the Fittest: Understanding health and peak physical performance by Mike Stroud. Explores the genetics, diet and exercise that enable humans to perform at their peak. Using medical science, his own experiences of crossing Antarctica with Ranulph Fiennes, Sahara Marathons, endurance races, and a descriptions of hunter gatherer life.
£3 inc P&P SOLD

Mountainman Crafts and Skills: An Illustrated Guide to Clothing, Shelter, Equipment and Wilderness Living by David Montgomery. Chapters include: Tools and Materials; Traps and Trapping; Buckskin and fir hie tanning; Making mountain man clothing,; Rifles knives and Throwing Ax; Mountain man hats; Homemade knife; Powder flask and horns; Scrimshaw; Deer and cow horn uses; Pouches, Parfleches, Scabbards; Beadwork; Quillwork; Firemaking; The Tipi; Baker's tent and Snow Cave; Willow backrest chair; Trade box; Grub box; Eating utentils and cookware; Moutain man foods; Rendevous Time; Mountainman Stories.
Hardback in very good condition:
£6 inc P&P SOLD :)

Hunted: A true story of survival by David Fletcher. British climber, ex RM, heads off alone to Alaska to climb the Hayes mountain range and accidentally kills a Grizzly bear cub. Mother bear does not dish out the porridge, instead stalks him night and day.Reads like a thriller, makes you wonder what you'd do int he same situation. Hardback in great condition:
£3.50 inc P&P SOLD :)

and added this:
SAS Mountain and Arctic Survival by Barry Davies. Paperback, can't find anyone selling it on Amazon or Abebooks Packed full of info specific to mountain and arctic regions survival.
£4 inc P&P SOLD :)

And some more blasts from the past:
The Outdoor Survival Handbook: For campers, hikers and backpackers by David Platten. 1979 edition, hardback, VG condition. More aimed at hill-walkers than bushcrafters but still useful:
£3 inc P&P

Survival Training and Techiques by John Muston. Again survival in the outdoors rather than bushcraft. Tough plastic cover, 1987
£3 inc P&P

Survival is A Dying Art by Barry Davies and Phil Benyon. Paperback, cover had a creased corner, good readable condition. a bit more bushcrafty in the survival info since it looks at longer term stuff. 1987
£3 inc P&P SOLD :)

The Survival Handbook: Learn the survival skills of the world's elite forces by Peter Darman. Looks to be deliberately similar to the SAS survival Handbook by Lofty Wiseman. Paperback in very good condition: 1994
£3 inc P&P WITHDRAWN FOR COMPETITION

Payment by paypal, cheque or postal order please

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm looking for a copy of a book called The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher. Does anyone have a copy to sell/swap? :)

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
fred gordon said:
I'm looking for a copy of a book called The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher. Does anyone have a copy to sell/swap? :)

Sorry Fred
I don't have that, although you can get copies on Amazon.
Perhaps better to start a fresh thread, with Wanted in the title?

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Justin Time said:
Sorry Fred
I don't have that, although you can get copies on Amazon.
Perhaps better to start a fresh thread, with Wanted in the title?
Just thought I'd check that you didn't have a copy secreted away somewhere!! :lmao:

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
fred gordon said:
Just thought I'd check that you didn't have a copy secreted away somewhere!! :lmao:

Good try :) . I do have Jardine's book, Townsend's handbook and his walk across Alaska as well. Fletcher's book is on my wishlist.... although buying books is not a great option at the moment... :(

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I know what you mean about buying books. We have so many in our house now that we have a rule. If you buy one you must get rid of one! :eek:

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
PRICE DROP TO £8

Trail Cooking by John Weiss. American book, so info on plants not so useful in Europe. Lots of other useful info, chapters include: Planning meals and menus; Light is Right; How to tote the toughies; High energy snack foods; Wild edible plants; Nuts, berries, fruits and roots, Indispensable water; Cooking over fire; Trail stoves; Tools of the trail; Food storage in camp; Reflector-oven cooking; The versatile Dutch Oven; Sourdough Cooking; Ultralight Trail Cooking; Survival Cooking; Squeaky clean.
Hardback, Expensive to get in the UK. Dust jacket a bit battered, some hand-written notes inside so:
£10 inc P&P PRICE DROP TO £8 and it's SOLD :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE