Kit list tips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorisTheBlade

Dec 3, 2010
London
I am putting together my camp/hike equipment that can be used from 2-7 days or so and was wondering if there are any suggestions that anyone may have in regards to what I have missing in your opinion or what I may not need. I am not all that experienced but have thoroughly researched key buys like the knife, tent, boots and heating system so I spend a bit or a lot more and buy something that lasts.

First aid and other bits:

I keep a small, flat bag in the top pouch of my rucksack for easy access and then the larger or sharp parts in the box on the picture inside the pack.

firstaidlarger.jpg

- Paracetamol, antihistamine, 2xdiarrhroea relief salt sachets.
- scissors (sterile)
- Fabric plaster strip, medium plasters and smaller. Finger bandages.
- 1 L, 1 small wound pad, 1 eye pad.
- Steri-strip butterfly stitches.
- Vinyl gloves.
- Burn gel (single use, top of bag), cetrimide cream in pack.
- Crepe bandage.
- Superglue
- Plaster roll (great to secure bandages or alone). Not sure if needed?
- Alcohol handwash.
- Small sandwich bags with ties (multi purpose). I also carry some loose seal bags.
- Insulation tape - to reseal items such as my survival tin to make it waterproof and my lighter that does not stay securely shut otherwise. Maybe I will wrap it around the antiseptic tub to be more efficient with space.
- Cable ties.
- Red bike light (here solely because it fits into the box nicely!)
- Ear plugs (good nights sleep) packed with 7 one a day cod liver oils for cases of emergency where food is scarse or illness such as diarrhroea.
- The yellow creme in the central tub is pure shea from the baobab tree. Its called Karoté by the people who I bought it from in West Africa and is second to none to treat calluses and generally dry/broken skin. It is flammable and can be used to make a candle if you so wish so multi purpose. (about £3 for a fist sized helping so extremely cost effective).

Main kit:

baghf.jpg

Beyond by Gelert Hercules 65L rucksack.

I put more important items on the right and optional items on the left.

mainkitlarger.jpg

Personal carry :
- Leatherman Blast MT with excellent blade, scissors and saw amongst other stuff. Chose it over other models as it is better suited to bushcraft with a slightly larger blade, saw and less stuff you may not need in the bush. I have rubber bands stuffed into the carry pouch as they come in handy.
- Knives are Mora "bushcraft" i think and cold steel bushman if I am going to be able to make a fire and it is cold.
41PTeRMjlML._SS500_.jpg

- Twin flame, windproof lighter. Wrapped with insulation tape to keep lid secure and waterproof.
- Compass, Victorinox S.A.Knife.

morekit.jpg

In the rucksack
- Vango nitestar 450 synthetic sleeping bag. I pack it into the smaller stuff sack (amazing by the way, Event, L sizedhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NT4FK4/ref=oss_product) that brings it down to about 3/5 it's size in the pic.
- Cheap roll mat.
31sGNWXAnTL._SS500_.jpg

- Mongoose 2 tent. 2.9 Kg + maybe 350g with 4 large pegs for the corners. I use them with all my tents as they never fail in the muddiest/wettest conditions.
- Jetboil cook system (new updated version that includes the tripod stand and the symbol that changes colour on the outer. Cheaper in the long run as you have to buy the tripod and such as extras with the older model bringing the cost higher).
- Fuel tank with Gorilla tape wrapped around for repair use and so on.
- 3L hydration pack.
- Emergency bivi and space blanket.
4820.jpg

- Fenix headlamp. Requires only 1 AA battery. V.light, durable and has 4 settings. For night reading and general use it will last 55 hours on one battery.

3754.jpg

- Classic "Trekker" survival tin package. I lubricated and bagged the cable saw inside and added tinder and such tightly into the pack. Good as a back up.
- Para cord
- Webbing cord
- The small, black tub below it contains cotton face wipes that will be good for firelighters and after use could be used to store sap or other firelighting stuff.
- Cheap/normal matches. I can bring larger ones - is this necessary?)
- Knee support - my left knee sometimes plays up a little as I think I may have injured it a few years ago hyper-extending it when snowboarding.

Optional or location specific:

- Mosquito net (this is a large double bed on in the pic I take with me when I go to West Africa, I am considering buying a diddy one especially for hiking).
- Wind up torch.
- Spare head torch.
- Sterile set (again I take with me to West Africa, would also take to S.America and such).
- Seam sealer.
- Cotton sleeping bag liner - not essential but useful to keep sleeping bag clean and for colder weather and comfort of not getting clammy.
- Sunglasses with case.
- Ipod and headphones - essential item for morale if alone.

Clothes

coldclothes.jpg

I think this part is more subjective as everyone has different needs and there are so many variables such as location, season, activities and so on so I will simply list some of the major parts that I have recently bought with hiking and camping in mind in cold weather:

31JobWKq1cL._SS500_.jpg

- Thermal Long Johns and Zippable top http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001PIJA3Y/ref=oss_product.
- 100% Merino wool under layer top, was pricey but I am a sweaty betty at the best of times so essential for a long camp!http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/microweight-tee-p161685
- Ski pants which would be great for hiking in winter I would imagine, if not it is no problem as I also use them for their intended purpose when Snowboarding and will just buy some more trousers.
- Extra large, heavy ft.of.the.loom 100% cotton T-Shirts that can be tucked into trousers for extra warmth with breath-ability (loose :).
- Not in the picture but waterproof jacket in a small stuff sack.
- Regatta "Xert" water/wind proof and breathable fleece. Very warm, would only use in conditions that get to 10C>, otherwise I would go with my heavy hoodie.
- Cheap thinsulate gloves or for 0c> conditions I would use my Montaine "Resolute" ski mitts that are on their way. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/microweight-tee-p161685
- Waterproof/breathable gaiters.
- M&S 100% cotton durable jumper. Very warm and breathable.
- Merrell Merino 3-4 season hiking sock - comfy, warm and dry as hell.
- Ski face mask (would only pack for colder than -5 conditions with windchill).
- Cheap acrylic scarf.
bootst.jpg

- Mammut Mt Trail XT GTX. Although they have had reports of problems with the sole coming apart due to the glue in the past they are the only boots that even remotely fitted my foot shape and were comfortable like a glove with room for my toes to expand when hot. Mammut have excellent customer service so will exchange or repair my boots if I get this problem.

Most Importantly what I plan to get

- Rite in the rain pad +small pencil (snap a lg one ofc)
- Haemeroid and anti-fungal cream.
- Considering a water purifying system or maybe just go with millbank bag and boiling.
- May consider small frying pan
- A better fishing kit than the crappy one in survival tin - not essential as I hate fish ans would rather eat furries than smellies.
- Reflective lense/car mirror
- Small sharpening stones. I have a high quality whetstone 1200/8000 grit for home prior to expeditions to keep blade in top condition to reduce the amount I will need to sharpen.
- Spork and light utensils
- Light/thin chopping board

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi.

Tell us where your going and when? At first glance it looks like your pack will be quite heavy, do you know how heavy?

:)

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
All of that looks very heavy ! do you know the weight ? I try to take no more than 10kilo to 13 kilo for a five day walk camp that includes food
I have taken 20 plus kilo on a seven day walk before and would not do it again ! check your weight including water!!!!!!

Jason

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
hiya, whereabouts you going? how long for? imho, i wouldn't wanna haul all that lot. ditch stuff like the wind up torch, i had that model, not very effiecient, didn't work well in the cold. take just one head torch, if taking more than one light source try and standardize the batteries so you don't have to carry multiple types. ditch that big 'ol knife, ditch the leatherman thingy unless yr going by vehicle as you have a SAK in there i see. i didn't see any water bottles, just the bladder, ditch that and get a couple of canteens instead. how long will the fuel last? can you get replacement where you are going? everything else looks good, but get some ibuprofen or similar into yr first aid kit.
also the extra stuff at the bottom, like the frying pan and rite in the rain, wouldn't bother, unless you are sourcing fresh fryable stuff on route, your food will be out of cans,pouches or packets, the lighter the better. take wet food where there is no water, take dry rehydratble to where water is in abundance. don't forget, hydrate and keep things simple..

Last edited:

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I have those boots and I think they are great. Super comfy, really supportive and the tread pattern on the sole is really grippy.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
sorry, an after thought again, you need to get all this into the bag, plus yr water and food, and go for a 10 miler with it to see what you want to take, as the weight soon mounts up, the tent and sleeping bag must be nearly 5 kilos on their own. don't get p***ed off as yr choice of kit is very good but you won't need half of it once out there. hope you enjoy where yr going, keep us posted!

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
You need to weigh everything and evaluate its necessity
Just on a quick browse you wont need all those knives whatever or wherever you are doing unless its a BB meet or a moot lol
While a survival tin is fun to make up it will involve duplication; the enemy of the lightweight backpacker
Of course it all depends where you are heading
If it helps I have similar predicaments on every trip and am often found weighing a hand carved spoon VS titanium VS Spork

BorisTheBlade

Dec 3, 2010
London
Hi.

Tell us where your going and when? At first glance it looks like your pack will be quite heavy, do you know how heavy?

Thanks for the tips so far guys, more comments/tips needed so keep them coming (and try and be specific if possible :)

Being heavy seems the consensus so far. I wouldn't bring the heavy knife unless doing a lot of heavy knife work with an open fire. The mora would soon dull if smashed through lots of thick wood I am guessing? It is pretty sharp tho to be fair.

I would not take the mosquito net, sunglasses, seam seal, mess tin and centrimide unless needed (going to Africa, especially wet like Scotland for seam seal and centrimide for if I plan on making fires).

I am attending a survival course in Feb for 5 days but other than that I am looking to do some hiking in Feb/March in the UK. I would like to go to Canada or Australia in March or the Summer. Will have to see but what I have compiled so far is a generic kit list that I can chuck together if I get the last minute decision to go camping and I can add to if I book an extended/foreign holiday.

I will see how much the kit weighs tomorrow. I am 6' 2" so I plan to be max 15kg all in - should be doable if I pack right? I am fit and have a good frame (13st with very little body fat).

ditch stuff like the wind up torch, i had that model, not very effiecient, didn't work well in the cold. take just one head torch, if taking more than one light source try and standardize the batteries so you don't have to carry multiple types.
Ya that was precisely my thinking prior, however I read in a couple of books like Lofty's SAS and Les Stroud's book that you should take a spare torch. I think I will buy a small keyring maglite or something that runs on 1 AA also.
ditch that big 'ol knife, ditch the leatherman thingy unless yr going by vehicle as you have a SAK in there i see. i didn't see any water bottles, just the bladder, ditch that and get a couple of canteens instead. how long will the fuel last? can you get replacement where you are going? everything else looks good, but get some ibuprofen or similar into yr first aid kit.
What is a SAK? No big knife. I was looking into buying some bottles - the thermos, a water canteen with accompanying mug - the army one amd finally pee bottle. Completely forgot about all of them except the thermos in the last week. Good spot! The fuel can do around 20 burns or so I am told as the Jetboil apparantly boils water in 90 secs by all accounts so will be enough for 5 days I am guessing. Replacement however is good idea for extended trip maybe abroad. Ibruprofen is also good spot. Anything else you would cut from first aid other than centrimide?
also the extra stuff at the bottom, like the frying pan and rite in the rain, wouldn't bother, unless you are sourcing fresh fryable stuff on route, your food will be out of cans,pouches or packets, the lighter the better. take wet food where there is no water, take dry rehydratble to where water is in abundance. don't forget, hydrate and keep things simple..
Good point re frying pan. Rite in rain would be useful only if abroad I suppose in a remote location (survival situation).
I have those boots and I think they are great. Super comfy, really supportive and the tread pattern on the sole is really grippy.
Thats great to hear!
You need to weigh everything and evaluate its necessity
While a survival tin is fun to make up it will involve duplication; the enemy of the lightweight backpacker
Of course it all depends where you are heading
If it helps I have similar predicaments on every trip and am often found weighing a hand carved spoon VS titanium VS Spork
Ah most of it makes sense. I think the survival tin is like a peace of mind back up that I could probably shave some off depending on the region. Most of it will not be needed in the UK I suppose.

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
SAK is your swiss army knife, and i wouldn't get rid of anything from the first aid apart from the red light, but i would add some decent tweezers. torch wise i have a maglite solitaire on a length or cord looped thru a smock pocket or round my neck inside my jacket, a triple led super bright thingy that runs off triple A's also. and the standard maglite running off double A's. double A's are the most common so are easily replaced but triple A's much more common now than they were thanks to digital camera's. so if i were on a long trek i'd now ditch the AA maglite and just go with triple A fed torches, i think u can get a head band that converts the maglite into a head torch, but you already have a good head torch.

everything in the rucksack and pockets needs to earn it's place, you need a mug to drink from, but if you use a big mug, you'll use more supplies. small mug, helps you to logically double all your servings on hot brews, nato 58 pattern flask or any decent 1 litre flask makes water purification a doddle without any maths in stressed situations, a lot of puritabs are geared around '1 litre' so pop one in yr flask and forget about it. millbank bag to filiter the big stuff. easy peasy.
things like army rations, fit army mugs well, but won't fit a small mug, army hot chocolate does 500ml! thats a lot, halve that and use a clippit to save the rest. then you might not need the extra pee bottle as not so much hot choc to vanquish!! lol

when you get to the stage that yr hacking the handles off toothbrushes to reduce weight, you've reached to right place!

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
One thing they have in good supply in many African countries is doctors. What they are short of is genuine and trustworthy medications. Have a chat with your GP and get a small stock of prescription medications. You don't need to know when or how to administer the drugs, just have them on hand for a local doc. As has been mentioned Ibuprofen is a good idea. I'd go further and ask the doc for codeine phosphate or a similar higher strength painkiller. Also some antibiotics, it’s no good stopping the bleed if you die from infection. The GP can advise you on any others that may be appropriate. Pack a few Imodium, if you do get the squirts they won’t cure the cause but will allow you to keep your dignity (and reduce your washing!). Consider including some kind of trauma dressing in case of a big slip with something sharp. The good old military first field dressing or Israeli bandage are good choices.

With illness prevention is better than cure. Where’s your wash kit? You have the hand gel but that’s not enough for anything more than an overnighter. Lifesystems wash gel is good for cleaning yourself, clothes and fruit and other foods. This’ll help you stay healthy so you won’t need the drugs. Antibiotic wet wipes are worth including. Just right for cleaning around large wounds or just to freshen up where water is scarce.

Re the vinyl gloves, keep a couple of pairs in the rucksack. More importantly keep a pair in your pocket. It's possible that when you need them you'll need them quick and won't have time to dig them out of your pack, or you may not have your pack with you.

Even more important that the first aid kit is some basic training in what to do if the S.H.T.F. If you have the time and money consider at least a basic one day fist aid / basic life support course if you haven’t already been trained.

If you need to cut thick wood a small folding saw is a better option than a big knife. With a tough basic knife and saw you can handle most tasks. Also don’t forget something to sharpen the knife. A small combined sharpening stone to maintain the edge and use the back of your leather belt as a strop.

I always have a shemagh in my pack. It has a myriad of uses in addition to the obvious head cover. It’s; bandage, tourniquet, towel, scarf, bag, light blanket, table cloth/groundsheet (useful when emptying your pack on the ground), water filter for large particulates, etc...... Well worth a £7 investment.

Second lighter, or even 3 or 4. A £1 pack of disposables spread around your pack and pockets just in case.

And finally, lots of sweets, chocolate and other goodies. Always useful for sharing with locals to get you some brownie points in case you need help with directions, heavy lifting, etc :)

Sorry this is such a long post, too much time to spare this evening. Hope this helps.

Nigel.

PS: a couple of rubble bags as cheep drybags inside your rucksack, just incase you drop it in a river or get caught in a downpour.

PPS: Add a toothcare kit to your first aid bag. Nothing worse than a cracked tooth or a cavity and your 2 or 3 days from a good dentist!

PPPS: a strip of Boots/Tesco baby bottle sterilising tablets can be carried if you need to clean/treat you water bottles. For example, use one of your canteens as a pee bottle and sterilise it in the morning before refilling with fresh water for the day ahead.

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I personally would just slim down duplicates...

Survival bag... you already have a tent as well as waterproof clothing If you come across some hypothermic person, crack out the tent and jump in with them to warm them.

Box of matches... You have a jetboil, a lighter, a ferro rod and more matches in the survival tin. It's a tiny change but you don't need the matches.

All that first aid kit... An army dressing (the ones in the brown fabric feeling pouch), some deep cut plasters, a few ampules of saline, something for a hangover and gaffa tape are plenty to get you to a vehicle with a large first aid kit or to last until paramedics get to you. Sure, you can carry enough medical kit to keep a small village healthy but it's overkill.

3 light sources + fire... a headtorch plus traditional hand torch is plenty for me.

Leatherman + 2 big sturdy knives + 2 pocket knives... I love knives carry more :p

The survival tin is weird... safety pins are in your first aid kit, snares for a 2-7 day drip seem weird... I would wrap up some fishing line rather than snares, much higher chance of getting a meal. The whistle is in the tin but I would have it accessible all the time, better to have one along with a micro led torch around your neck or on a lanyard in your pocket along with your swiss army knife and firesteel. The wire saw thing... my advice is to try and use it before you need it, there are some terrible ones around.

spare batteries AND a wind up torch?

Your kit looks mostly good quality and should serve you very well, carry what you like and only shave weight when you want to. My comments are what I would do only, there is no right or wrong.

A few things I would take that you haven't are a plastic, waterproof matchcase full of cotton wool smothered in vaseline. This is my go-to fire lighting tool and will light off a firesteel in the worst weather. I don't know how flamable your Karoté is but it's worth checking out for the few pennies it is to make up.

Gatco Arkansas Pocket Stone for keeping things honed and at a push, removing any blade dings.

Small pen and pad... like REALLY small, I use a fisher trekker spacepen thing and so far, it's lived up to the hype.

You have a mess tin, I use a primus litech frying pan... much the same but I like the non stick a lot... it means I can wash it with a tissue that I just burn after.

I carry a tooth brush, tooth paste, a (tiny) hotel bar of soap, foot powder, one of those microfibre towels and pocket sized tissues in my bag, pockets, possibles pouch, tent and anywhere else... as small as I can get but essential for anything more than an overnight.

BorisTheBlade

Dec 3, 2010
London
These posts are a gold mine of ideas! Thanks guys :)
One thing they have in good supply in many African countries is doctors.
Without going too deep into politics, where I go there are some of the highest cases of malaria with the worst healthcare in the world - Senegal, Mali, Guinea and so on so doctors are at a high premium and usually a day or so away at best - good ones being extremely rare. They are fantastic at dealing with malaria as it is common there but as you said medication (and sterile kit) is rare there. You need to be in the capitals to get propper treatment. Anyhow, I am not sure where you have been but thats location specific I suppose.

codeine phosphate or a similar higher strength painkiller.
Antibiotics - The GP can advise you on any others that may be appropriate.
Imodium.
trauma dressing - field dressing or Israeli bandage are good choices.
wash kit?
Antibiotic wet wipes are worth including.
vinyl gloves, keep a couple of pairs in the rucksack. More importantly keep a pair in your pocket.
Got the one below codeine in the paracetamol family so can pack that.
If going to W.Africa you are of course on antibiotics anyways for anti malaria, at worst I could take higher doses of the daily tablets until I get to a hospital. In other places I would consider taking some but I think I would make way points only 3 days max to avoid any probs.
Imodium - got the anti diarrhroea, neglected to put it in the list although it is in the photo above the paracetamol. What I thought was antihistamine. (adding to shopping list lol).
Trauma dressing - good idea, looking into it.
Wash kit I didn't include as its a given, however I suppose I could loose a lot of weight if done correctly.
Gloves - check.
Basic one day fist aid / basic life support course if you haven't already been trained.
Very good idea, can be handy in general life.

shemagh. It’s; bandage, tourniquet, towel, scarf, bag, light blanket, table cloth/groundsheet (useful when emptying your pack on the ground), water filter for large particulates, etc...... Well worth a £7 investment.
Good idea, however I would not dream of wrapping an open wound with something I may have used for one of any of those listed unless I am looking to loose whatever I wrap it with!

PPS: Add a toothcare kit to your first aid bag.
PPPS: a strip of Boots/Tesco baby bottle sterilising tablets can be carried if you need to clean/treat you water bottles. For example, use one of your canteens as a pee bottle and sterilise it in the morning before refilling with fresh water for the day ahead.
Toothcare kit? Have you got an example of one? How would I know how to use it? Are you a dentist or a medic by anu chance?
You dont do that do you? Really? Pee is sterile so you dont need to sterile your cup, it will just be smelly. I think I can handle the extra weight to avoid drink pee scented water :D

Leatherman + 2 big sturdy knives + 2 pocket knives... I love knives carry more :p
What do you carry?

The whistle is in the tin but I would have it accessible all the time. The wire saw thing... my advice is to try and use it before you need it, there are some terrible ones around.
Not included - waterproof matchcase full of cotton wool smothered in vaseline.
Whistle to hand sounds logical. I have cotton face cleaning budd things in the black tub and Karoté is flammable so can be used the same way. I may wrap the cotton in it prior to leaving, just thought that it serves as first aid stuff also left as it is. Vaseline is **** by the way. Its bad for your body and does not let the skin breath. You should consider something that does for any other use other than burning.

triple A's.
nato 58 pattern flask or any decent 1 litre flask
when you get to the stage that yr hacking the handles off toothbrushes to reduce weight, you've reached to right place!
My camera and new torch both run on AA so sticking with AA for sure :D. Was thinking about the nato mug with the cup that it sits in but the problem is that it is rather fat and I dont have side pockets (very big ones) so would need to think of a way to attach it and something else on the other side to balance weight.

BorisTheBlade

Dec 3, 2010
London
Updated shopping list:

-Anti fungal and heameroid
- Reflective lens
- Millbank bag (more than 2 days)
- Small sharpening stones
- Spork and utensils
- Slim/light chop board (extended trip)
- Mosquito head net
- Pee abd water bottle.
- Thermos - not yet decided on model
- Trauma dressing (yet to decide type or where from)
- Shemagh

Any suggestions? I don't do pay pal/ebay (had 3 bad experiences with them, never again).

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Vaseline is **** by the way. Its bad for your body and does not let the skin breath. You should consider something that does for any other use other than burning.

Vaseline is actually very good at protecting skin. Especially for burns (after you have cooled them properly with cold water for a long period) breathing is a two way thing and getting air to a burn soon after receiving it also can lead to it getting infected soon after.

It's handy that it can not only start a fire but protect small wounds caused by the fire.

It's a family forum so i'll keep this mostly clean but try smearing a little vaseline around your ar*e before you have a poo when out in the woods, it reduces the tissue/paper needed by 99%.

I have used it when threading cord through holes when the end frays and becomes unruly.

Basically, It's significantly more versatile than it's given credit for and doesn't colour things it touches.

What do you carry?

It was a half tongue in cheek remark but typically I carry a neck knife that stays on me at all times (along with whistle, fire steel and micro torch) and is used for eating but can be pushed into larger jobs. A regular belt knife for nearly everything else and a large heavy blade for clearing bush or the kind of jobs you'd use a hatchet for. Basically one I keep clean, one gets dirty and one gets a beating.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...If going to W.Africa you are of course on antibiotics anyways for anti malaria..."

Do you mean chloroquine?

Have you traveled in Africa before?

I would suggest that you are carrying way to much gear, and specifically way to much gucci gear.

Don't carry so many knifes, in fact if you must carry a fixed blade, something like a Mora is about as large and heavy as you should take.

Most of your gear is going to be broken, lost or stolen, the items on your immediate person at all times have some chance of making it through the journey with you. Don't let that thought get you down, its all part of the adventure.

You can buy large chopping knifes, torches, clothes etc. in Africa, do so, it helps the local economy, you travel lightly and become less hung up about your gear. When you no longer need these items give them away.

Think about something a bit more substantial than sweets for gifts. Postcards from home are nice and light, inflatable footballs (which you can buy there) are very popular.

Enjoy yourself.

Edited to add:

I never travel without a tin of vaseline, too many uses to list. :)

Edited to add:

You have a mess tin in your kit. Don't take a mess tin, when you find yourself at some truck stop waiting for the next lift and fancy dinner, buy a 500 ml can of peaches. Then find some guys who are roasting a bit of goat by the roadside, offer to share the peaches with them, they will give you some goat, sing songs with you and you finish the evening with a full belly, a happy heart and a 500 ml mess tin that you didn't carry all the way from England. :)

Last edited:

BorisTheBlade

Dec 3, 2010
London
Do you mean chloroquine?

Have you traveled in Africa before?
[/I]

Yes - I thought that was obvious in the post :) I think you are getting mixed up between the cure and prevention. I used fairly old school doxycycline, part of the tetracycline group. Chloroquine is very old school indeed like Larium. They pump you full of it if you get malaria but the side effects can be awful. A friend of mine has maybe 30% of his body covered in itchy, painful rashes that crack and shed all the time due to the treatment.

You do use anti-malarial right?

Where did you travel? I LOVE goat and especially the way they cook it in The Cassamance (not the peanut one, the black bean tasting one).

When out there I never have anything on show and tend to carry money stashed in different areas on my person so I never seem to have a lot when purchasing anything. I didn't loose or break anything in Senegal but then again I am careful I suppose. I also only carried water, a book, towel and such for going to the beach. Would only bring a little more if going in large groups and one person could keep an eye on it in turns. The gifts is spot on, especially mobile phones, they fix almost any phone there so even broken ones. I gave away my fancy sandals and traded t-shirts and stuff like that. I would give money gifts but only at the end of the trip and in private as not to cause jealousy.

After getting an upset stomach for much of the trip caused usually by thinking "I shouldn't eat this, but hey it should be fine". I stopped having these problems when I didn't eat stuff that I didn't see cooked myself and by not eating anything I couldn't peel. Salads the real kicker. NO more!

EDIT - the highlighted part - duh. I got mixed up between quinine and chlorquine. I stand corrected! I think it was quinine they pumped my friend full of around 10 years ago. My bad :D

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE