Need help with wood stove issues

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey all need some advice on some small issues with the woodburning stove we have on the boat. usually it doesnt get that hot so we dont notice it but last night had it filled with coal, compressed logs and one of those 2 hour burn crackle log things so we had flames coming out the top of the chimney and the whole top of it was glowing bright red and so i noticed some problems

around the top of the stove where the chimney is connected the sealant has come off over the past few weeks we only just noticed it the other day. we need to reseal around the chimney and around the top of the stove as you can wiggle the chimney where the sealant has come away. heres a picture to show what i mean

cimg2103m.jpg

i also noticed fair sized gaps around the door and the glass on the front, should we be concerned about this? iv tightened the glass plane as tight as it will go but there is still a gap

cimg2102h.jpg

cimg2109s.jpg

and finally inside there is a big crack in the block at the back which has been there for ages. never had a problem with it but should we replace it?

cimg2111s.jpg

so can anyone recommend a good sealant for around the top?
should we be concerned about the gaps around the door and glass?
and should we replace the cracked block inside?

we have this stove on everynight to heat the boat so its a bit worrying that we only just noticed these things and need to get them sorted asap before winter really kicks in!

we have an electric carbon monoxide detector 10 ft away and next to the stove we have one of those little co detectors that look like cork and show dark spots when co is high although im not sure how effective it is or if it even works

thanks

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I wouldnt worry too much about the gaps its just means it must be hard to get a long controlled burn. For the stove pipe I would suggest stripping it back to see how big the gap is with out filler, If large then I would get a collar made up to improve the fit. If its small then just re seal it with stove cement but check for movement in the flue which may cause it to fail again.

For the door and glass, do not over tighen the glass as it may cause it to crak on heating or cooling, best to get a stove rope kit of fiberglass rope and glue to add where possible around the door or glass to remove the gap but I wouldnt worry too much ab out it.

The crack I'm not sure about, it would worry me but if its been there a long time and nothing has happened it may be OK but I would be worried about a containment failure and the subsequent fire risk.

Hope that helps a bit

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Most decent plumbing supplies have high temperature sealant. I bought some generic stuff from a place near me. One is food grade with a 300c limit the other is non food grade with 800c limit.
Screwfix have similar things too, along with stove door rope.

sent from my brain using my fingers.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Fire cement will repair the crack in the fireback. Available from any B&Q. Just work it into the cracks with a small trowel and smooth off. It comes in small tubs like putty and has instructions for use on the back.

Atb
Colin.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I'd echo the other responses, I'd not be too worried about the gaps. Get some fire cement - as high a rate as you can - to reseal the flue.

Door gap no problem - even with the stove 'shut down' you'd still need some air getting in to feed the fire.

The blocks inside I'd assume are to stop the outside of the stove becomming too hot. I have removable fire bricks in my aga so in summer I can put them in to insulate the boiler to stop the water becoming too hot, in the winter I take them out as I need all the hot water I can get, to run 8 radiators and have enough domestic hot water for a couple of baths [I have young children who are constantly mucky]. So as long as your stove isn't backed right up to something which can burn it isn't too much of a problem - I'd believe the fire cement stuff should be ok to repiar a cracked fire brick.

[I'd bear in mind I'm not a 'heating engineer']

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Me,

I would worry about the gaps

I would use High temperature silicon on the gap around the flue, fire rope on the door and potentially replace the fire brick - certainly seal it with fire cement.

The reason to worry?

A gap around the door means the stove constantly sucks in air negating the ability to regulate the temperature by controlling air flow. This will contribute the the stove getting over hot.

The gap around the flue can stuff up air flow causing smoke leak or drawing air through the top.

The fire bricks at the back keep the back of the stove cool through insulation - you really don't want a red hot stove back near the boat hull!

Nothing too tricky to fix - but stoves work better and more safely when well maintained.

Red

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
That looks like an Aarrow stove to me...

I wouldn't use silicone, use fire cement to seal the flue - take it apart and crack the old stuff off and give it a good wire brushing.

Around the door, replace the fire rope (it's not expensive from a plumber's merchant) - you'll find it uses far less fuel and doesn't glow red hot

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Dread, i have some 1000c rated silicone sealant, yours if yo want ti just pm me your addy, you will need a silicone gun to apply it as its tubed. pound shops carry the guns if in a pickle

edit its 1200c rated

20121120_122551.jpg

seems to be intended for your use

20121120_122735.jpg

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
if you ever did want to change/replace your stove have you considered doing what Kevin Mccloud did on his show 'man made home', where he built a wood burner from an old jewelers safe. It looked really nice and was great recycling project. He did need a thermic lance to cut through it to make a flue hole though.. :)

Dreadhead

thanks for the replies everyone i knew id asked in the right place ;) i certainly dont want it overheating as its next to the bow (where all my leather is stored!) and it wouldnt take much to set fire to something. im glad they are easily fixed things and will get on it asap. PM inbound Paul. discovered this morning i can actually have mail delivered to the marina, been an 80 mile round trips to pick up my mail every weekend for the past 3 months!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE