Need help with a name

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Last Thursday saw a new little man born into our family and as he grows, the bushcraft community as well I'm sure.
Now we opted for the "surprise" with regards the babies sex at birth (not that its really a surprise as its going to be a boy or a girl, if it was a dog or an elephant, now that would be a real shocker:D), and though i had a name for a girl we hadn't settled on a name for a boy. His birth coincided with the first flakes of snow in our area and mrs marmite and myself were puzzling over winter/snow related boys names, just curious, and so I'm asking the forum for words/names that might relate to snow as we're drawing a blank (international members please chip in as well). I have to say if we're not quick his first name may have been already decided as our first (marmite girl) took one look at him and called him "woody" (all I can say is at least it wasn't Buzz or Bubbles [other names she considered])
I guess if it does stick whilst out camping I'll have to start looking for the snake in my boots.:)
Thanks for your time - a

Well congratulations! Mmm, names, tricky.

My wife's Swedish cousin called his son Hunter. That's pretty cool, and a genuine name.

My son has a Swedish friend called Wilde (pronounced "Vilda"), which means Wild. Not sure it works in English though.

I know a kid (big college American footballer) called Thor. Also cool.

Can't think of any Swedish names related to snow (snö). I've always liked the boys name Sten (pronounced Stee-an) which means "stone"

Why not just call him Jack, then have a second name Frost?

Good luck with the ideas!

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Nix - Latin for snow.
Albus - Latin for white but a bit spoiled by Harry Potter. unless you like Potter that is.

Best I got at short notice :)

I quite like Woody. It's cute
Kind of bushcraft and on here if you have a Woody, you have a very nice knife. However in the real world, he may get ripped once he's of an age when his friends know the other meaning for having a woody.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
How about Uller? He was the Pagan God of Winter...Oh! no!...
others-164.GIF
Quick someone delete that for me..
lol-043.gif

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Just remember how cruel kids in the playground can be. Don't pick anything that could rhyme with something. My ex wanted to call the boy Fox. I convinced her that it's not a good idea and Alfred is a good staunch name.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
May I suggest Brice?

To my crossword addicted mind it suggests brr of cold and ice which is a permanent reminder of the weather when he was born.

It is not uncommon in France where it is pronounced Breece. It doesn't sound odd in English they way we would say it. There wouldn't be many sharing the name at school but neither is he likely to get teased.

And congratulations!

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I quite like Kodie, as in Kodiak, but then again I'm Canadian. I thought Helmut would be a good name for my son due to my surname but my wife has more sense than that. Figured it would be a bit like 'A Boy Named Sue'. We stuck with Joseph in the end :rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I suggest not giving a kid a stupid esoteric name. My brother and I were both given real but unusual names - we would far rather our parents had chosen something more ordinary

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Gwyn is the welsh word for white until it mutates in our complicated language. It is also a boy's name. Dont mean to be picky Harvestman by correcting you. No offence meant.

Not at all, I just learned something. I'm not a Welsh speaker. Thank you. :)

Quote: "I'm not pedantic, I'm just more accurate than other people"

:D

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I suggest not giving a kid a stupid esoteric name. My brother and I were both given real but unusual names - we would far rather our parents had chosen something more ordinary

Having an unusual name is the finest fighting skills training you can receive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE