need advice on military water purifier (MWP)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
evening all,
i purchased an MWP on ebay earlier this month and it came with two sets of spare filters.
i used it this morning on a small camping trip cos we ran out of water and the bloody water that was coming out of it was murky!!!
admittedly the only water source was a small stream that was partially dried up. it was around 2ft deep but a bit silty and to be honest the 'purified' water that was in the bottle looked sort of the same colour as in the stream as we could see silt particles in it.
we decided not to use it as drinking water so we boiled it and used it as washing up water.
is this colouring normal considering the purifier uses iodine as the sterilizing agent?

madfaxman

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 27, 2007
Belfast
www.vocalireland.com
The first few times you use the filter the water will be cloudy.

I normally run at least 3 pints of water thru the filter beofe i use it in the feild. Even then you still get a lil colour in the water.

This will disapate after you use the filter for a while.

The Green course filter is designed to take out the larger particals and the small silver screen under the green filter should get rid of the smaller paricals.

You do tend to get a lil dis colouration thou it shouldnt be really noticeable.

Make sure you Shake the main filter chamber BEFORE you start to filter as the iodine can "clump" making it extremly slow.

I tend to use a millbank bag as a pre filter first allowing the water then to drain down into the MWP filter.

This removes both large and small paticals.

I have pics of the set up i use so PM me if you want to see them.

Thanks !!

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
cheers for the advice:)
being a lazy git i didnt do a search but i've just found an old thread asking more or less the same thing!
apparently in silty water another trick to employ is putting a piece of silk around the mesh filter to catch the particles and save the filter from being clogged.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE