Need a simple no weld wood burner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brettguise

Jan 29, 2012
Stourbridge
Looking for a simple wood burner for my shed that requires no welding and will do the trick. Ive searched and searched, the ammo tin requires welding and I dont have access to a welder, the calor bottle looks the best but again you need a welder. The paint tin looks good that's on here but it looks like it needs a welder for the door. Can some people post their wood burners with just simple tools that does not require a welder or other equipment :approve:

Cheers

Brett

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
more or less any joint that's welded can be achieved with drilling and bolting, although a bit of ingenuity is usually required.

you could always hire a mig welder for the day and have a bash yourself, it's surprisingly easy to do

PIC_2885.jpg

i dont own a welder either, never stopped me though

brettguise

Jan 29, 2012
Stourbridge
How about a castrol drum with the hole already at the top to attach a pipe and cut the door as the example above and hinge it? Bricks will hold it up don't need any fancy legs.

not an oil drum but similar its a 20 litre cooking oil can and exactly as saidthe old spout hole is going to become the chimney hole, i have a second tin to go on top of this one so i can use it as a smoker for food, and then it has a baked bean tin as a starter for the chimney flue and as a flue i was going to use two metres of bog standard ali tube from a gas fire installers scrap bin the bolts are all m6 by 35 mm cause as ever its all i had at home so were free

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
hi mate i have seen this stuff pop up a lot just lately, please be carefull when putting these home made stoves in sheds, as it does not take much for you to drop of to sleep, and then not wake up.
i think for what these cost, it is worth savin up and getting something that will last a very long time, i make an awfull lot of stuff for my self, but when i started to look into all this type of stuff for my workshop, i new deep down that it would not be safe if i done it my self, as not only do you need the fire to be safe, its the flu system that you need to work well to, as you dont want chimney fires, now if its for out side when camping then make your own, but when its for shed, which is built out of the stuff that you are feeding the stove, i think that you are better to save the money, and get something a bit more substantial, than knocking something up, with a bit of scrap and a few bolts.
these are not that much, and since i have had mine i have not looked back.
http://www.campingsolutions.co.uk/stoves/frontier-stove/
i think if you are an engineer, or a competent welder, and are that way minded, then maybe making your own is not so bad, but it send shivers down me spine when i think of a stove full of wood, in a wooden shed, held together with a few bolts, made out of an old tin can.
maybe i worry to much, but would hate to see one of you great lot, dying, or read in the paper that he went from carbon monoxide poisoning.
take care.
lee.
here is mine it did not take long to put in, i used the existing 60 mill tube, at the bottom, so that i could still use the damper, but then i extended the rest of the flu with 120mill twin wall grade a stainless steel flu. even when its on full blast you can stll touch the pipe, which is great because it means when you cut the hole for the flu system, and can go very tight to the flu pipe.
from what i read, if i had just used the 60 mill strait out the work shop, when the cold air hits the pipe, its this that contributes to the tar build up, which is what causes the chimney fires, by using a piece of twin wall this helps with that, also but putting the twin wall up through the shed roof, it will get no where near as hot as if you went strait up with the 60 mill that the stove comes with, that gets so hot, its unbelievable, as soon as i changed that to the grade A stainless twin wall, all that stoped.
take care.
lee.

005 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
when i get chance ill take a pic of what i looks like from outside, you can then see what i mean about the flu system.
take care.
lee.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You could attach a flue with pop rivets & seal with plenty of fire cement but as Lee said, is it worth taking the risk?

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
You could attach a flue with pop rivets & seal with plenty of fire cement but as Lee said, is it worth taking the risk?
i think if its for a lavvu, or out side then i would be the first to make my own mate, but there are a lot of people dye every year from stuff like this 130 quid, for peice of mind, was money well spent for me, i ran strait at this me self untill i done some research, on wood burning stoves, and then i changed me mind rather quick.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Regardless of what you do, always install a carbon monoxide detector. I have one in my own house and in the flat I rent.

Then of course you can make one and if it is leaking, you'll get a warning.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
looks like he took the top, chopped a stove like hole out of the lid instead of using the whole lid. The slice is just part of it. It makes sense in my head... more difficult to write down.

brettguise

Jan 29, 2012
Stourbridge
Ye the slice is part of the lid that he cut off and put back onto the lid section to secure the larger piece to to act as a door creating a straight line for the door to be hinged to. If that makes sense it does in my head as well ;) but how would the slice hold in place. Would it clip on and stay strong enough or was it glued in some way or something? I cant imagine it holding without some kind of weld or glue.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
See the door how did you secure the side slice of metal before you screwed the hinge onto it?

I used the paint can lid and cut most of the flat center part out leaving a half moon section to attach the hinges to. Then I simply pushed the lid on like you would normally. I hope this helps. I will do a tutorial as soon as I make another one.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
I found Lee's really cool stove on fleabay with free delivery which makes it £10 cheaper. May be tempted meself when I am a bit flusher. Unless of course, someone in our great community could make one and I could barter :D

I am not a company rep and I don't own one but does seem pretty good value so here it is STOVE

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
they are great, and im just a happy customer, no affiliation, my work shop is 12foot by 12 foot, and it heats this up no problem at all, i have to have the window open, as i start sweating, when its on full boom, it burns the wood great very affisiont all you are left with is just dust, i find i use it most with the door on the first latch, i also added some of that fire retardant rope to the door, when closed.
i have not yet tryed using it with the top opened out, as i have found no need when cooking or doing a brew, maybe out side you would want the flames licking the pan, or kettle, but in me shop ther is no need.
like i say when i get me teepe, i'm gouing down the do it your self rout, proberbly the ammo box one, but indoors, i wanted to be safe, and i'm not confident in my welding skills enough to take the risk.
take care.
lee.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE