need a project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
can someone suggest a "goal" for me next time I go to the woods please (probably tomorow).

I'm really enjoying having a wander in the woods lately, I've got really good with the firesteel even in poor conditions - mainly because I enjoy making fire :D I'd like to try friction methods but would rather something completely different for a bit.

While I'm wandering round I test myself mentaly, I look for tracks and places I'd set a trap if I had to, I look for edible plants too or generally anything I can think about as I move through the woods.

Frankly though, I need a task - a purpose.

I got a folding saw today and sharpened my knife, so if it could include those it would be even better.

Any suggestions?

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
can someone suggest a "goal" for me next time I go to the woods please (probably tomorow).

I'm really enjoying having a wander in the woods lately, I've got really good with the firesteel even in poor conditions - mainly because I enjoy making fire :D I'd like to try friction methods but would rather something completely different for a bit.

While I'm wandering round I test myself mentaly, I look for tracks and places I'd set a trap if I had to, I look for edible plants too or generally anything I can think about as I move through the woods.

Frankly though, I need a task - a purpose.

I got a folding saw today and sharpened my knife, so if it could include those it would be even better.

Any suggestions?

A SPOON!
Every other bugger does.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
what I do if I feel like a challenge is go into local woods (early-9 am say) and try and build yourself a shelter plus cook yourself lunch (fry up some of the plant roots you know etc-maybe take some salami and roast over a fire !) , see how you get on, it's good fun!

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
What about finding a dead twig and a bit of rough stone,then you can abrade it into a needle for sewing.
Or make one of these
deadfall4640x480.jpg

deadfall3640x480.jpg

Or what about abrading a stone arrow head using some soft stone like Slate.

Or collect some resin if you have conifers in your area, then turn it into pitch for attaching
the arrow head to a shaft.Just for starters.

Cheers Stuart.

Halfdevil333

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2006
On the Banks of Loch Lomond
What about finding a dead twig and a bit of rough stone,then you can abrade it into a needle for sewing.
Or make one of these
deadfall4640x480.jpg

deadfall3640x480.jpg

Or what about abrading a stone arrow head using some soft stone like Slate.

Or collect some resin if you have conifers in your area, then turn it into pitch for attaching
the arrow head to a shaft.Just for starters.

Cheers Stuart.

Right Stuart what is it ??????

Scott

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Scott,hows it going,long time no see,anyway its a figure four deadfall trap as used by the Paiute indians,its different from the normal figure 4 as it uses cordage and its alot more sensitive.Hope that clears it up abit.:D

All the best Stuart.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
a deadfall trap, but I'd've said the slab'll stop when it gets to the upright stick?

good and simple though.

edit: beat me to it & no offence intended

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
a deadfall trap, but I'd've said the slab'll stop when it gets to the upright stick?

good and simple though.

edit: beat me to it & no offence intended

None taken:D

As for the the slab sticking yes it can occur when using the normal figure4 trap,usually with the normal trap the upright stick is underneath the stone and when tripped the stone falls onto it thus allowing your quarry away and sometimes breaking the trap.But if you look at the photos you can see that the upright stick is at an angle and when sprung the trap is flung clear leaving bait bar and hopefully your meal under the stone.And because your trap was flung clear you could reset it without having to make a whole new trap.Rather clever those Paiutes:cool:

Cheers Stuart.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
think I get it, is the upright stuck in the ground then or is it just held under tension?

Yes its just tension,ideally you want it to be on a stone to stop it sinking into the ground.
Ps if you are going to try this trap don't leave it unattended or set up as it is very affective and indiscriminate.So please use with CAUTION.

Cheers Stuart.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Find a suitably straight stick, about as long as from the ground to your nose or to the bottom of your ear, and make yourself a walking stick. The diameter should be just big enough to "feel" right in your hand. Best to peel the bark off if you want your handiwork to last. Make it out of the hardest best wood you can lay your hands on. You won't believe how useful it is. Once you hike with a staff, you won't leave home without it. If you cross streams, climb up or down steep hills, etc. it is just like a third leg.

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
How about making a sling and practising on passing trees etc.
find a bit of flint for firestarting knapping
look for fallen birch and grab some bark to make containers.
pine needle tea
nettle soup

have a good time!!

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
...I'm back! bloody miserable weather.

What did I get up to? Well, I opted to have a go at making a bow - again, I'm not sure what wood I used, I need to learn tree i.d. It all went really well, makes a real mess though!

Unfortunately, either the wood wasn't up to it or I got something very wrong as it snapped when I first drew it.

The next idea was to make a fire - poor conditions again. I had a quick go with the bow and drill but the string I had really wasn't up to it. So I opted for my lighter (I already know I can get fires going with my firesteel, and want to save it). I did learn a couple of things though -

Pine (dunno which,) burns well - plenty of heat, little smoke and burns fairly slowly BUT it spits and crackles and is noisy! And it's difficult to split with a knife and batton.

And the best news of all is - There's a lake in the woods :D so possibly some fishing - even if there's no fish in it, there's a chance there'll be eels in there hmm, skewered eel.

I also saw a deer, a kingfisher and a pair of mallard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE