need a map case - what do you recommend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Folks

Need a new map case/ cover for hiking etc & I could use some recommendations etc what do you all think??

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Go for the Ortlieb range, they are fantastic. I use a smaller version for my wallet, I can see everything that's in it and when the missus washes it, none of my kit gets wet!!

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
My Explorer Scouts use Highlander ones like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HIGHLANDER-DE...hZ004QQcategoryZ72895QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem and at that price I think they are good value.

You can get 6 sections of an OS map visible at once, although mine tend to have their route plan (A4 sheet) in there too which works nicely.

There is a pocket at the back for a notebook or second OS map covered by a velcro flap and a holder for 5 pens! (Who ever needs 5 pens?)

However there is no compass pocket so I remove the stiching between the three middle pen holders and its just the right size for most baseplate compasses :)

If you go that rout then I recommend that you check the width of the pen holders first as they are not completely consitent and on one I had to merge three holders off to one side in order to get the compass in, either way its a 5 minute conversion, if that :)

See later post - these things let me down badly on an autumn expedition, I have replaced them with Ortleibs.

By the way we remove OS maps from the cardboard cover (carefully pull them off) as it makes it easier to fold into a case. We still keep the covers, and stick an A5 enevelope inside so that you can put the map back, fold the top over and they can then sit nicely in a box with the spines sticking up for easy access. They sem to last longer that way too!

I can bring one back from the HQ next week and photograph it if that helps.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I sure like my Ortlieb mapcase, durable and totally waterproof. I had to work at getting one here in the USA, but finally found a source. Worth the effort!

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Another vote for the Ortlieb, it rolls & folds up to stuff in pockets, gaiters etc and is big enough to cover a useful area of a route. Much better than the military-type ones I've had in the past.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I own a ortleib too! - though to be honest i prefer laminated maps;)

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Ortileb. A4 size. Fold in half and fits into trouser leg pockets or jacket. Mine has lasted five years and has just come a little unstuck on the flap. It is still 100% waterproof and I dont need to replace it.

Be wary of the camo type ones. often they are stitched or the backing camo material is not waterproof. It is more important to have a dry map then a case with pen holders. I also hate carrying all of that stuff in one big bundle. It is like having breasts- too bulky.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I have one of these

meridian.gif

homepage here

its and outdoor designs meridian map case and it flipping brilliant its the best case i have ever had its taken a right beating and it as good as the day a bought it

all the sharp edges are covered with sewn taps so you don't get any hot melted edges snagging or sticking you. The top rolling flap is very secure and very water proof. The strap is fixed securly and has a decent adjusting length it is also made of relativly soft tape so it resonabley comforatble against the skin of you neck but the best thing about it in my opinion is that you can fold the hole thing in half so you can only see one pane of the map and the case can be held in this possition by the attached velcro tabs

now i've just looked at this cases homepage and it says its water resistant not water proof which i am quite dissapointerd by now i've never had a problem with maps getting wet in this case and it's been out in all weathers the only thing i have'nt done with it is dunk it in a river and try and drown it that i now gather would probabley be pusshing it too far

hope you find what your looking for

James

Shankly

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
Cambs
I have to second everything that JDLENTON has just said. I have had one of those outdoor design cases for a few years now, and its "solid", if I had to replace it, then it would be with one of the same, thats just my 2p worth

Shankly.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Thanks guys - really useful feedback - the ortlieb is popular i know but the highlander is possibly more useful when in a vehicle as it seems to show more map without refolding. On the other hand the ortlieb is more waterproof?? oh god here i go!!!

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
so get the outdoor designs one you don't need a case in a vehicle and if its getting that wet then your case should be inside your jacket anyway:D James

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Go for the Ortlieb every time. I also use one of the smaller ones to keep my tinder dry. It's been out in torrential rain, fallen out of the canoe etc. but always kept things dry. Expensive, but well worth the money.

leon-1

Another vote for the Ortlieb range, I have a few of thier documents pouches which serve pretty well.

What scale map do you intend on working from, I know here in the UK 1:50,000 1:25,000 and 1:10,000 can be got quite easily, but some places abroad you will be lucky if you get 1:50,000 and this will have quite a large effect on the size of the case that you will require.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
i guess mostly 1:25000 & 1:10000; thats what i meant about doing some of the trip in a vehicle - you can drive off the edge of a 1:10000 dead quick and then you go through this gymnastic event trying to refold in a confined space. Still i suppose you can say that good prep will aviod that problem

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
ive been through a whole heap of cases including the highlander and arktis, and like a few others here have gone back to the ortileb range tho' I just went out and got their largest document case as i found the purpose made mapcase just a tad too small and needed to be opened to refold every once in a while.

Dec 25, 2005
UK/GERMANY
Ive used the whole range too overthe years, blackhorse, highlander, arktis, plastic bag and as above the orlieb case allways comes up trumps. Its 100% waterproof all those who have had maps leaked on in torential rain will agree go orileib. Another bonus like most survival/bushcraft gear should be dual purpose you can also use it as an emergency water carrier. The rubber case itself is so much more flexible and durable than most other brands too. Just my 2p worth.

Aug 9, 2005
jdlenton said:
I have one of these

meridian.gif

homepage here

its and outdoor designs meridian map case and it flipping brilliant its the best case i have ever had its taken a right beating and it as good as the day a bought it

James

This case is about as watertight as O.J. Simpson's...

I have one - and it let me down badly on the waterproofing side of things while on a swimming - sorry hiking - trip in Scotland in May this year. The look "da bizniss", but wet-weather performance leaves a LOT to be desired. The problem is the material at the edges - it just doesn't make the case waterproof in the event of sustained exposure to moisture. mine leaked on the halfway fold where the 2 bits of plastic are kept together by the seam of material. My gf & I got a proper soaking on the shores of Loch Ness (we love it really...): day 3 and the map was a soggy blur. I am not conviced that even treating the material with a proofing would work - the seams MUST be hot-sealed to ensure no damp gets in. Back to the drawing board with you, Outdoor Designs.

Grrr.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE