need a map case - what do you recommend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
i'm contemplating putting some silicone down those seams to make it a little more water tight but as it says in my orgional post i found out there not water tight bummer really as its a great case

Jul 30, 2006
Sunny Bournemouth
I always spend the extra few quid an get the weatherproof, tearproof, rewriteable ones from OS. Even if i do put it in a case.
They will out live us thats for sure. Only problem is, roads do change. So maybe we should use a paper one, and when it dies, at least its a good excuse for a new (updated) one.

- mind you, not to good if it dies on expedition...

Personal preference i guess.

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
Not a map case but another idea...when i am going walking i tend to buy the map i need and then at work i colour photocopy the area of the map i am going to be using on either A4 or A3 depending on the length of the walk. Then i laminate the photocopy and it can then be folded down to a really small size that you can keep in your hand if necessary and 'thumb' your position whilst on the move, or store eaasily in the small map pocket that some jackets have.

I know that not everyone has access to these facilities but if you do i would recommend giving it a try.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I withdraw everything I said about the Highlander map cases. :sulkoff:

We were out last weekend on expedition with 16 year olds in appaling conditions and they leaked to the extent that the maps are write offs. :rant:

Luckily I only had one team out so it was only two maps, and one of those may be rescuable as a wall chart, but he other one has come to bits, the folds are abraded and its already in the bin.

I am about to order 4 ortleibs. :notworthy

As for maps, I tend to replace them every 3 years anyway but these two were only bought in April. :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE