Need a Light Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hobbit on a String

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2009
Aberdeenshire (Turriff)
Interesting thread i got going, Several stoves out there for us guys to use, the main thing about me getting a stove, is price if i am buying, and materials if i were to make it, as i live out of a pack, all year round, i dont carry tin snips, or have access to those kind of tools, and i am not using my GFB for cutting metal.

After looking at the reviews for the honey stove 08, and then there is the new 09 model, i think i am probaly best going for that, it flat packs, can use a meths burner, or hexi, and of course wood on its own.

All i have to do now is find the address of where they come out of, go there and buy one.

I embrace technology with my outdoor living, hence the reason i am able to respond to these post, A lightweight laptop powered by a sunsilk folding flexible Amphaourus panel.

But interested to hear more from the members of the site on stoves, interested in the coke can stove,

Yours
The Hobbit

S

skoper

are there any reviews on meths burners on this site, the whit box stove is the toughest meths burner, theyre welded now they used to be riveted, so yes the new ones are great, unlike the self destruct pop tins,its very miserly on meths too, and the burners 18 holes once lit burns great

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I use two stove. First of all I built several Pepsi can stoves and I finally got it right. Google "Zen stoves" and it will take you to a great site. Download the Pepsi can templates. I started out with the semipressurized versions and they are good. However, I have come to prefer the open topped, double-walled sideburners. You cannot buy a stove that is anywhere near as light. This same site will have the templates for the Nimblewill stove that durulz recommended. I made this stove also. As durulz says it is not hard to make, although there is a lot of cutting of the metal. I made mine in about two hours. With the templates it is very easy. If you know a machinist get some of the blue dye they mark parts with. It makes laying out the template easy. I didn't have any and it involved a lot of pencil work that was hard to see on steel. The Nimblewill goes together very easy, works wonderfully, and comes apart easily and stores flat. There is only 5 small pieces. I really prefer it to my Pepsi can unless it has been raining a lot and dry twigs might be problematic.

Urban_Dreamer

Jan 8, 2009
Rochdale
If you know a machinist get some of the blue dye they mark parts with. It makes laying out the template easy. I didn't have any and it involved a lot of pencil work that was hard to see on steel..

I can easily get marking blue, but there is an easy method that I used instead. Print the templates and glue them to the steel (or Ti) with wall paper paste. I STRONGLY suggest buying a dremel slot cutter from ebay (if you have a dremel or ilk). It makes some of the chores a breeze. The money is well spent. The alternatives are cheaper (ie chisel then grind or large access hole and jigsaw), but you won't be happy. Functionally it makes no difference, but as I said, you won't be happy.

Soapy water will remove the template when you're finished. Don't expect it to burn off in use. Some areas don't get hot enough.

The honey stove looks good though. If I hadn't made a Nimblewill out of Ti (125g weight) I'd buy one of them.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Urban dreamer, thanks for the tip about the slot cutter. Wasn't aware of its existence. I cut mine out with a Dremel tool with a flat diamond abrasive wheel, but it was a bit slow and tedious. Pasting the templates on sounds like a good idea. Tell me, how hard was it to cut the titanium? I think I might make another one out of aluminum. Wasn't the cost of titanium prohibitive?

Urban_Dreamer

Jan 8, 2009
Rochdale
I cut mine out with a Dremel tool with a flat diamond abrasive wheel, but it was a bit slow and tedious.
Sorry, that's what I meant. Mine was advertised as a slot cutter for restoring the slots in screws. I only used it for the tab slots. The outside edges were cut with aircraft snips.

Tell me, how hard was it to cut the titanium? I think I might make another one out of aluminum. Wasn't the cost of titanium prohibitive?

It's hard, no question. The trick is to pick the best method. The snips made short work of 0.4mm Ti, but the same material wiped out more than one drill bit. The stuff work hardens so Q max punches, shears and abrasives are the trick. I'd avoid aluminium, it's far too likely to melt given that it'll get a LOT hotter than a pan with food or water in.
Cost? Well when you included postage there wasn't much in it over stainless. My ti stove cost me £16 + tooling costs (like blue I have access to quite a few metal cutting tools). Granted if it would have been easy to spend a bit more on the ti, but I wouldn't expect to pay more than £20.

However given the cost of the honey you really do have to ask "why make your own"? I only discovered it after I'd made my stove.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Regarding the Pepsi can stove, I meant to say in my earlier post, but forgot, that the amount and size of the holes around the top, particularly on the side burner, is critical. After a lot of experimentation, and a couple of 12 packs later, I came to the conclusion that 24 holes around the side was ideal and that the best size hole was the one made with the smallest drill in the Dremel drill assortment package.

Also, You do not need any glues, cements, epoxies, etc. Just press fit them together. I have never had one leak. Furthermore, you do not need any "vermiculite" or fiberglass insulation or anything else in the inside of the can. Totally worthless and unnecessary. Most people who say these are crap, either never used one or built one following someone's poor instructions and poor examples. Most of the ones you see people demonstrating on the internet are absolute rubbish. There are however some good ones out there. Pick carefully. If it looks like a piece of trash it probably is.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Broach, It looks like it should work fine. If it is burning too fast (you seem to be implying this but i'm not sure), try closing off some of the holes. Possibly start with the top 3 rings of holes. Get something simple, like the aluminum duct tape used by heating and air-conditioning guys. I have bought it at the big home service centers. Experiment and see how shutting off some of the upper air flow helps or hinders. Then, you could perhaps do something more permanent. You might want to cut a small open doorway up near the top to drop twigs into. Otherwise you will have to lift off the kettle every time you need to add fuel. Just a thought, but I have tinkered with these quite a bit. One nice thing, you could use the upper ring of holes to run some skewers through to form a cooking grill. You wouldn't have to drill any holes and they are already equidistant apart.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Elines, by all means check out the Zen stove site i mentioned above. You can easily make this stove if you only have a pair of tin snips. Tin snipes and a dremel tool would be better! I think you will like it a lot.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Chinkapin - yep, that's the kind of thing I was thinking of - it just seems too good a starting point for pence (cents) not to try something with it :)

There's also a stainless coffee tin that this fits snugly inside - I may try drilling some matching holes so the two can rotate to open and close the air ducts. I'll have a play and if it works post some pics.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Chinkapin
Thanks - looks interesting - I am determined not to buy any new kit (Crudader cup lid excepted) until i have had a thorough go at using my existing kit to see what works (or not). My next aim is then to have a go at making rather than buying so the Zen site looks great for that.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I have a project in mind, that I would like to get some other people interested in to see what they could come up with. Some of you guys might want to give it a try. What I want to do is build a small, and I mean backpacking small, Winariski "rocket" stove. I am currently trying to gather appropriately sized tin cans for the project. If you are not familiar with the rocket stove, there is a lot of information on the internet about them, unfortunately a lot of it is just crap. Some of the websites show stoves that are not even closely resembling true rocket stoves. There are a lot of videos on Youtube that really are pathetic. However there are a few that are very helpful. So far, I think the best one is on Youtube and posted by "ravrekcom" It is in two parts. Unfortunately, he is building rather large one for family or group use. A large one would be very easy to build, but shrinking it down is going to be difficult as there are no very small chimneys that are ready-made. The chimney would have to be fabricated out of small tins such as tomato paste tins or something similar. Anyway check out ravrekcoms videos and you might want to give it a try. These are the absolutely most efficient wood stove that can be made. Large versions are in use in many third world countries, refugee camps, etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE