Need a Light Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hobbit on a String

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2009
Aberdeenshire (Turriff)
Hi Brothers and Sisters
I am in need of a (new) Stove, and am looking for ideas,suggestions or even if you have one.

I live outside all year round, and use the buggering things all the time, dont do gas, and meths is ok at times.

So any help is very much apperciated

Yours
The Hobbit

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
If you want light then have a look at backpacking light site. They have vargo stoves and the whitebox stove too. I can vouch for the whitebox as a seriously good bit of gear.

Hobbit on a String

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2009
Aberdeenshire (Turriff)
If you want light then have a look at backpacking light site. They have vargo stoves and the whitebox stove too. I can vouch for the whitebox as a seriously good bit of gear.

Cheers Treemonk, have heard alot of the guys talking about the whitbox, will have a look.

Cheers
If you get up to the Grampians, come and join me for some Brew ups.

Hobbit

Jan 28, 2009
get a length of hemp and twist it into cordage the width of the bottle you use then fill the bottle with veggie oil and shove in the hemp leave 1/2 inch out and light for 30 sec. use a short wide opening bottle. sometimes I make them small out of small salt shakers- last 4 hours. big flame.

Mario

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Another vote for the Honey stove '09 here.

I've used mine a lot over the last few days, both with wood and with a Tatonka burner and it's great with either. It's been pretty cold,wet and windy in the woods where I've been camping.
A massive weight difference to my Woodland Edge firebox too so that's another big plus for me.

HTH
Stuart.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
What about the "group buy" Swiss Army Aluminium Volcano Stove.
I have two of them and they work just fine. can be used a number of ways and also modded easy for other pots?

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
gotta say I prefer waylands hobo stove, but the honey stove looks great, but if you want MEGA light go for a coke can stove, great tutorial on heree somewhere........

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Another vote for the hobo stove :approve:
I do like my Swiiss army one but that's really only for a brew up or an 'instant' type meal. The hobo stove cooks everything from boiled veggies or rice to a fry up.
Lots of 'how to's' on the site, mine's a Warthog 1981 version........even came with a blow poker, mug and bowl, as well as the billie :D

cheers,
Toddy

Hobbit on a String

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2009
Aberdeenshire (Turriff)
Gents, after having a look at all the makes arounf, i have chosen the Honey Stove.

Looks like a good build, might be a bit tricky at first with cold hands , but i am sure i will get the hang of it,

Thanks for all the help in finding a stove for me.

The Hobbit

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
What about a Nimblewill stove?
I recently made one and think they're great. Very easy to make, but a lot of work cutting out sheet steel. Best of all is the fact they're collapsible and pack flat.
Just do a Google search under 'Nimblewill Stove' and you'll find them with pdf plans to download and print out!

Jus_like_that

Forager
Apr 9, 2008
burton
www.jltknives.co.uk
I have the swedish army trangia, Its the stainless one so not that light but its also available in aluminium, Which makes it about a third lighter! Whether using the Meths burner or to contain a very small fire its perfect, stable, simple and compact! The 2 pans are more than substantial too! I can't fault it!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... might be a bit tricky at first with cold hands , but i am sure i will get the hang of it ...

From first hand experience I can say that the '08 version can be assembled with almost numb hands and also whilst wearing thick fur lined leather mitts - I can't vouch for the '09 Honey Stove but I can't see that it'd be any different.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE