Neck Sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
I've recently asked this question on the Britishblades website and didn't understand the answer!

Can anyone describe how best to thread the cord through the Woodlore neck sheath? I shall receive my knife at the end of January (a second Christmas!!!) and I don't know the best/most comfortable way of doing this.

Cheers, and have a great Christmas everyone.

Andrew

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
When you say that you want to thread the cord through the neck sheath is it to create a loop for it to go over your head and wear around the neck, or are you wanting to store some cord on the sheath by wrapping it around and through the split between the fire steel holder and the main sheath?

Cor - I started this 2 hours ago and got distracted!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Mine is a fixed loop that I made from braided cord and I used a single piece of it to go through the slot between the two parts of the sheath. So, mine can't be removed and slid through ( iwll try to get a pic up!)

Stuart has a good way of doing it STUART answer the man!

I have found a few considerations, the cord needs to be something that does not trap the hairs on your neck (can get very aggravating!)

The loop has to be just the right size, except for the way Stuart does it which is adjustable.

If you creatively make it yourself it is much more personal and gives you a greater attachment to the knife. This shows a little detail of my sheath setup

http://www.britishblades.com/pics/awood/DSCF0061.jpg

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Andy easiet way is to thread cord through the belt loop - it you do it that way and leave the cord long enough it will allow you to wear it under you arm as Ray Mears often does on tv - this is a good style as it keeps knife safely against body.

Another way (how i used to do it) is to whip para cord around the sheath (horizontally) and then feed several lengths up the back to create vertical loops and it was through these I'd thread my neck cord.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i use a dual purpose method. take a length of cord twice as long as is needed to hang the knife round your neck. slide it through the belt loop, pull a load of it through and go through the belt loop again. then tie the two loose ends together.

you now have a neck loop that is twice as thick to spread the load. when you want to hang it baldric style, (not the blackadder baldric) you simply lift one loop only over your head and shoulder, the other loop pulls down to nothing and you have instantly adjusted your lanyard to suit going over your shoulder to hang under your arm.

the other advantage of this system is that you can wear your knife very comfortably and withing easy reach, if you come across some other walkers in the woods, it only takes a second to pull the shortened loop up over your head and the knife is tucked discretely away under your jacket where it won't scare anybody.

once upon a time, suffering from an aching neck, i thought it would be a good thing to use bungee cord with it's built in shock absorbing properties to hang my knife on. all well and good till the lanyard got caught on a branch where it stretched longer and longer. i turned round to see what it had caught on, just in time to see the branch give way, launching the handle straight into my gob at a hundred miles an hour. :shock: something best ovoided. many production neck knives are sold with ball chain lanyards so you can't hang yourself if the lanyard gets caught on something. jst a thought to bear in mind.

cheers, and.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Andrew, My setup looks very like the one in Tony's post up above but I added a trick to keep the knots to the very minimum:

I figured a way to make up a three strand plait out of a single continuous length of paracord, with single strand tails at each end. It's quite cute and lets me wrap the long tail round the top half of the sheath just like Tony, and have a thicker plaited shoulder/neck strap but still have only one knot to close the whole thing.

I wrapped the bottom end of the sheath too. I'll see if I can find some way to post up a picture, but can e-mail one to you if you're interested.

I used 3mm thick cord for this. 4mm fits better in the slot, but I think it's a bit bulky as a plaited neck strap.
Cheers, Alick

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
Thanks Guys,

There is some excellent information here. I'll have a play around and see what suits me best. I particularly like the sound of Sargey's adaptable system (not the catapult in the gob part though!).

Merry Christmas to the lot of you.

Andrew

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
sorry i've come in late on this

the ajustable neck cord wich tony refures to me having, is attached to the sheath the same way as garys (by whipping)

the ajustable part is achived by having the two free ends attached togeather with a double fishermans knot

this knot if free to slid under tension so i can make the loop long enough to wear around my waist or short enough so that it hangs under my chin

not that this is going to make any sense without pictures!!!!!

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
you could do the same thing with a couple of back to back hangman's knots, no real advantage apart from less slipping than you might get with fishermans knots. but you do get extra style points. i wouldn't attempt to explain how to do it though. :roll:

cheers, and.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
well, am i sorry i broached the idea of style points :shock: the pics below (hopefully) are of alick's most stylish lanyard. :cool: very cool indeed.

sargey_Woodlore-lanyard.jpg

sargey_Woodlore-lanyard-close-up.jpg

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE