Neck knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Just got myself one and I'm curious what other people think.

Do you carry one?
Is it on your neck?
Do you put extra bits to it like a fire steel or whistle for a necklace kit?
Anything to be cautious?

I found it a big convenience around the camp for various small jobs without the need to carry my main blade all the time.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Hi Matt
I will carry my Cold Steel Bird and Trout knife around my neck
Only when I intend to prep meat though so not really a true necker in the sense that you mean
No other attachments on it
The main problem with neckers (and some others) is the need to use both hands to remove and re sheath which can be a problem at times
Would there be a tendency to try to use it for bigger jobs than it's intended for rather than get up and use the correct tool for the job?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a scaled down Bison Bushcraft Knife that I use as a necker... The bottom one.

attachment.php

I do wear it around my neck and along side it I have a little Inova light like this: Link

I did have a whistle and fire steel but while they are both useful things, I use them infrequently and they got in the way so took them off.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I occasionally carry a No2/0 mora around my neck, no ther gadgets with it though as I don't like too much weight

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Absolutely love my Mora 510 and pancake kydex necker rig, would not use anything else when i'm shooting rabbits (the kydex is a recent addition)
Lays flat against my chest, weighs in at less than 4oz, and can easily be taken out and re sheathed with one hand.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I prefer neck knives as they are unobtrusive to carry, they can be put in a pocket or pack and take up next to no space. Sometimes I even put it round my neck for ease of use. Having small hands seems to help though. I don,t carry anything else on it , that goes in my pockets. Less to get tangled in.
And lets be honest, larger knives are frowned upon in Britain these days when seen by the plod/bystanders etc.
bison bushpal.jpg
Bison bushpal 2

new 017.jpg
Izula 2 and Enzo necker.

All of the above are small very capable little neck knives.
Riven.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Do you put extra bits to it like a fire steel or whistle for a necklace kit?.."

Have a look at this vid from Colhane (a member here), for some ideas for what to attach to a kneck knife.

[video=youtube;9BwUydd2JKo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BwUydd2JKo[/video]

Last edited:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I have a Bison bush pal or bushmans pal (I forget it's name now) and another that a friend of mine made for me. I love neck knives and often go out with just a necker and a saw and/or axe if the need arises. My bison knife has a separate fire steel holder on it that Roger gave me and my other has a peanut lighter with it.

I like all my blades to have a fire lighting source with them, even if just a length of para cord around the sheath for use with a bow drill :)

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Neck knives are often considered a dangerous way to carry a knife, and this is just not the case with the right set up.

They can be difficult to employ, but that is because most people make the mistake of using handle up carry, whereas handle down, in a securely fitting sheath, makes one

handed operation easy.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Have a look at this vid from Colhane (a member here), for some ideas for what to attach to a kneck knife.

[video=youtube;9BwUydd2JKo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BwUydd2JKo[/video]

That is a great vid, some great ideas, and very well thought out especially the little LED light which would also work for seeing to re sheath the knife.

Sent from somewhere?

Cordhound

Jul 16, 2014
Mere, Wiltshire
I have two neck knives.
My first is a Boker Gnome, minus their leather sheath, as it doesn't hold the knife too well, so I made my own.
151dbb49d0e9059da722606379b30691.jpg

My second I made today from an old Zwilling(J.A.Henckels) kitchen knife and a dear antler. I used the diss regarded Gnome sheath to wet form the sheath. Ok it's not a professional job, but it sure makes easy work of fire sticks and carving.
a2ee0aa32e4d2b76695ee6f08aabed42.jpg

Ahrroooo !!

Jun 10, 2014
United Kingdom
Absolutely love my Mora 510 and pancake kydex necker rig, would not use anything else when i'm shooting rabbits (the kydex is a recent addition)
Lays flat against my chest, weighs in at less than 4oz, and can easily be taken out and re sheathed with one hand.

I have pretty much the same setup my self and use it in the same way, although my kydex sheath also has a fire steel loop (currently empty).

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Just got myself one and I'm curious what other people think.

What neck knife did you get?

I carry a Condor Sapien and often wear it as a neck knife. Probably a bit bulky for most peoples tastes, but after trying a few smaller alternatives I decided I wanted a slightly more substantial blade and handle.
I also carry a firesteel with it :)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If by a "neck knife" you mean "do I wear a knife around my neck", then no, I wear nothing around my neck. I do though carry a similar style of "field scalpel" / bird & trout / small utility knife. The bottom two in this picture are my favourites

Knives by British Red, on Flickr

One has a purpose designed sheath for pocket carry, the other a more traditional sheath

Knives in sheath by British Red, on Flickr

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
What neck knife did you get?

2uz7yw3.jpg

http://www.heinnie.com/condor-knives-fidelis

Condor fidelis. I found it invaluable around a "base camp". Once you have set up and curved all the tarp stakes, sticks and tripods. All you need on you is a small blade to open a rat pack or sharpen a stick for marshmallows.
I think the full survival kit would be too much and it would defeat the whole idea of a light handy blade on your neck. But a small fire steel is tempting. And it would be easy with a wide ranger band around my kydex sheath :)

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
"Neck" "Knife" just doesn't set well with me, I am immediately mindful of heading swords. The very idea of a razor sharp knife, suspended from my neck, and being jerked from its sheath, seems,,, uncomfortable,,,

I thought the same thing, but:
1. Not a problem with a good sturdy sheath. You would be as uncomfortable with a knife in your pocket or on your belt if you didn't trust the sheath. Mine is areally thick and well fitted kydex. No chance of the knife going through the "stitches" or coming out.
2. If you have it dangling handle down than it's the most convenient and safest way to draw a knife. Just grab and pull AWAY from your body. Much more simple than getting it from your hip or leg.

Try it, it really is handy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE