Neck knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
Is a knife any more likely to come out of a safe, secure and correctly made sheath if it is hanging round your neck, than in your pocket or on your belt?

Have you ever tried it?
I'd have to say yes. Where most neck knives I have seen are carried upside down gravity is working on the knife to drop it from the sheath. On a belt gravity is actually helping keep it in its sheath. Yes I understand friction is keeping it in there, but over time with lots of sheathing and unsheathing at some point it will become looser. At what point you reach that stage is another matter, it could take years.

I'm neither advocating for or against, just pointing out that for 2 sheaths of the same quality it is more likely due to pesky physics. ;)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
netmyth - hundreds of it could post but not a single it has

might as well not go outside...

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
On occasion I have worn my Mora around my neck, tucked under my shirt or jumper but I have never worried about the blade somehow being pushed through the sheath and into me, it would take quite an impact I'd think.

mora_sm.jpg

(Sheath made by rapidboy of this forum)

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Still quite happy to wear my necker under any circumstances.
My main stalking rifle, optics + bipod weigh in at about 11.5 lb, and my rimfire set up a shade over 7lb.
When i'm walking around with all that gear on my shoulder and usually my binos, i am hardly going to be doing the hokey-kokey, and i am 100% confident that i am not going to lose my knife, or the crown jewels.

Last edited:
i recently got myself a ""schrade extreme survival"" neckknive
the skeleton handle is not very comfortable for longer use, so i'm planning to add some flat scales (maybe with tweezers a la SAK) asap. i'm also toying with the idea of converting the sheath from "handle down" to "handle upwards""... . but it's very flat(==unconspicious in public) and -unlike pocket knives- does not fall out of my pockets!

I used to carry a Boker Gnome as a necker for quite awhile, but lost it in a bad auto accident a few years ago.
Loved that little blade, but not enough to replace it as I normally have 2-3 pocket (or fixed blades) knives on me routinely anyway.

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
I don't have many neck knives, but I do enjoy the Izula 2's quite a bit. This was the first fixed blade knife that I've pocket carried, now and then.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I've been using this for a few months now.

iwrynq.jpg

Good old Enzo necker. Cracking little knife. I've used it more for cutting up food more than anything.

Nice for making cop sticks too. I prefer them to spoons as I use the to cook and eat with.

Also very easy to keep shaving sharp with just a strop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE