Naturism

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
To be honest i don't really understand how or why being naked in a museum environment would make the whole experience better. Any naturalists I've seen at Brighton or on the small screen are generally lets say 'mature' and i would suggest its more to do with exhibitionalism than being at one with nature, but that's just my own pov, no offence intended or implied
Can't really see that either unless they are supposed to empathise with all those nude models, however they(the visitors) are being stared at are they?

Reactions: Ozmundo

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I initially read the thread title as nasturtium and was going to say I like the pods pickled and would like to try and eat them a bit more of them...

I've known people in my life who just hate the sensation of clothes, it's a tactile thing. They'd happily go about in the buff if our culture and our weather made it an option XD

As for naturism I've never been to a nudist beach or whatever but can agree with this comment. I don't always like clothes, I was just paddling on our local beach yesterday and as we were the only people on it I'd have rather jumped in naked that worn trunks that get a bit horrible when wet.

The only problem was people overlooking the beach, people do like to stare or take pictures these days. A few weeks back I was fishing on the same beach and again it was empty when I started. After half an hour I looked round to see a bloke with a couple of cameras right behind me for some reason when the rest of the beach was still empty.

• Haha
Reactions: Ozmundo

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I can sort of understand in any situation where one is sunning or potential water sports etc - But what prompted my question was watching the news last night to see that they had shut a Museum so that naturalists could wander through nude.

Now , I'm not saying its wrong and I'm not saying its right -but I just wonder if its a case of the clothes once worn just feeling 'wrong' ?
Naturalists or naturists? Naturist naturalists visiting the museum surely part of a Venn diagram centre section. You have changed the focus of the thread there so not being a naturalist I feel I can no longer comment here. ;):):)

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Surely it’s just a load of old bullocks? ;)

I have no problem with people skinny dipping, and I’m not offended by nakedness in general.

But I don’t like it in my FACE! :O_O:

Sorry I find the subject rathe laughable. Mainly because the self appointed naturist spokesperson is always a wrinkly old guy saying how “once everyone is naked no one is”…… errr no.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Surely it’s just a load of old bullocks? ;)

I have no problem with people skinny dipping, and I’m not offended by nakedness in general.

But I don’t like it in my FACE! :O_O:

Sorry I find the subject rathe laughable. Mainly because the self appointed naturist spokesperson is always a wrinkly old guy saying how “once everyone is naked no one is”…… errr no.
Well they don't come much more wrinkly than I, but naturism does have it's fanatics, I can remember once upon a time in the Coventry precinct going about my honest business when I came accross Vincent Bethel in his prime, starkers up a lampost, pretty it was not!

Mojave Eric

Sep 30, 2024
Las Vegas, NV, United States
While I don't particularly understand wanting to bare myself to anyone I'm not intimate with, when I'm out in wilderness by myself, its another matter. When I've been out in the desert for a couple of days sweating and with limited access to water for bathing, letting the air into the right places adds a considerable amount of comfort. I'll run around all day wearing nothing more than a sling with my water bottle and knife attached. This is in areas where I've never seen another human and I of course have to watch out for sun exposure;)

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
While I don't particularly understand wanting to bare myself to anyone I'm not intimate with, when I'm out in wilderness by myself, its another matter. When I've been out in the desert for a couple of days sweating and with limited access to water for bathing, letting the air into the right places adds a considerable amount of comfort. I'll run around all day wearing nothing more than a sling with my water bottle and knife attached. This is in areas where I've never seen another human and I of course have to watch out for sun exposure;)
Factor 1000 !

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
In a broadleaf paper (before they too went small) I once read about how naturism is popular and accepted in Germany. It was a long, hot summer and silly season so you can imagine the article in the paper. They gave an example of a trend for stripping off in their lunch break in a certain park in a big German city. The naturists get into a river in the park, swim downstream, get out and catch a bus back for their work clothes drying on the way. Apparently the bus driver lets them on without money to pay for the journey.

No idea if that was true but it was used to show how natural naturism is to Germans.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I once knew a few police women, no idea why the walking group was popular with policewomen but not policement, but it was a friendly group and I got a few tales I can not repeat. One I can was a good friend and police officer told me about her friend and colleague's experience with the naked rambler. The female friend and officer was left looking after the naked rambler in the station on one of his arrests. There was deemed no risk so he was in the room alone with her and not handcuffed or anything. The tale I got told was that the guy was iffy to say the least and the female officers who might have dealings with him got a distinctly uncomfortable feeling. I could tell you more but it is third hand.

Needless to say, after hearing the tale I am more convinced by the idea that naturism is not all innocent and healthy. There are some practitioners who are not safe. As indeed in rest of human existence. I just have this feeling that you can not give all naturists in public places a free pass, you have to be criticical and if you feel something is not right with them take action. Move away or report if it is serious. However just baring you body is not necessarily wrong but it can be. Where is the line? intent I guess which is hard to know.

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I think it's unfair to tar naturists as more likely to be sexual predators. Sexual predators seem to operate whilst clothed more often than not - they don't seem to let the fact they're wearing clothes stop them.

Reactions: TeeDee

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Long ago I was working in Matlock Forest and on weekend patrol. I left my then girlfriend at a gate and took my motorbike around the rides.

When I got back she asked if I’d seen the naked man who had approached her. I hadn’t and asked what happened.
Oh he propositioned me so I lit a cigarette and he went away!

I have very mixed feelings about naturists which is hardly surprising as they seem to be a very mixed bunch.

The threatening ones are obviously unacceptable even if they do not intend to be - a bit like openly carrying a knife. The perpetrator may not intend harm but it can be inferred.

Also I will not tolerate the evangelists. Be naked on private property if you wish. Do it in public and I shall avoid you but you won’t intimidate me. Try and sell me nudity and I shall assume that you are insecure about your nudity. I may well say something and it might be rude.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
For clarity - My OP was not to poke fun at those that enjoy getting nak-ed - but more to understand the ' why ' aspect.
I kind get it - if in full sun , dry environment - just not so much the more urban enviro
nment - but that is on me

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@Herman30
You might wanna make an appointment to a podiatrist.

Why? Is it fun to gross them out too?:)

I am what I am and have long passed the time in my life where I want to impress anyone.
I am very reluctant to go to clinicians or doctors as they will put a label on any condition which means it needs treatment and appointments. I’m in my seventies and my natural form is not a condition requiring treatment but neither is it anything that I choose to share.

An old Industrial nurse was doing a factory check up and said to me: “You’re upright, what more do you want?” That has been my morning mantra for more than twenty years.

My comprehensive pajamas mean that I can climb out of my pit and get straight on with the morning: mantra, flute, coffee, equipment check and breakfast.
Getting changed can wait and anyone can approach me without concern to either party.
That’s just my culture, I wouldn’t impose it on others but I’m not about to change it either.

Last edited:
Reactions: beachlover

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think it's unfair to tar naturists as more likely to be sexual predators. Sexual predators seem to operate whilst clothed more often than not - they don't seem to let the fact they're wearing clothes stop them.
Not what I was trying to say. I was trying to explain that in among naturism activism, such as the naked rambler there are some iffy characters of which the NR was one of them. However he was going against society and confrontation of that kind IMHO is over the line a bit too far (add in questionable charaacter in his case - as explained to me by a copper friend).

Naturism is outside of most societal norms and acceptability outside of certain settings such as naturist locations or private property. I have no problem with it personally but there has to be give and take. Textiles and naturists need to I guess agree a way of existing. The likes of NR seem to ignore that and goes straight for confrontation. It is why when I last heard about him he was just rearrested coming out of jail for previous offences. It looked like he had 10 years of previous offences yet to land on him. Plus he walked out of jail naked again! It is this questionable approach of confrontation that I find questionable.

Reactions: Pattree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE