Natural Shelter and leaving no trace (Small Rant)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Just an observation:

There is a bus shelter in the village, it often has empty beer cans left in it (amongst other things). That doesn't imply that the person who built the shelter left them there. :)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
In this chap's vid, he comes across what resembles an old American Indian reservation, I doubt they had beer cans tho'. :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk1G3vKsHVM" target="_blank">[video=youtube;Xk1G3vKsHVM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk1G3vKsHVM[/video]

Pretty much the type of thing i've come across, only there seems to be a lot less rubbish there than the ones i've come across.

It's not much of a stretch of imagination to think that someone lazy, selfish and arrogant enough to leave a POS like that up in a forest aren't going to worry about leaving fag packets, beer cans and rubbish after them.

Absolutely disgusting that someone would leave those monstrosities up, right near a path as well.

If it was up to me they'd have 1 month community service, working 50 hours a weeks going round picking up everyone elses rubbish, perhaps maybe after that they'd learn some respect and work ethic.

Just an observation:

There is a bus shelter in the village, it often has empty beer cans left in it (amongst other things). That doesn't imply that the person who built the shelter left them there. :)

This is exactly what i mean.

Even IF the person that built one of these monstrosities was the cleanest person in the world they STILL attract these dirty drunkards, youths and folks that don't know how to behave in the countryside.

Any shelter that's even slightly off the beaten track is like moths to a flame for these folks.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman, any remains/dwelling of the Pueblo People near you, caves, houses etc, the pictures I've seen are stunning.

Unfortunately no Rik. The pueblo were much farther West than Florida. The Pueblo built hogans of logs and adobe. I believe you may be referring to the "pueblos" built by the anasazi (the multi story cliff dwellings) and unfortunately those too were much farther West (in the same general area as the Pueblo Indians) I hope to visit those one day. I missed the opportunity while stationed out West (a mis-spent youth)

Here in Florida we had the Seminole and Choctaw who both were very good at building solid log structures and/or chickees roofed with woven palm thatch; not to be confused with the temporary lean-tos we're seeing here.

Here's an example of a chickee www.tribalhealthyhomes.org/chickee.htm

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
We almost crossed posts, I'd taken time to have a look, your right of course, my locations are a couple of thousand miles out lol.

Nothing much to do with shelters, but the trailer for one of my favourite 'classic' movies located nearer you perhaps?

[video=youtube;LJWSX9EVc1E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJWSX9EVc1E[/video]

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just an observation:

There was two really well put together shelters in a country park where I used to live. They were useful if the weather turned a bit and wanted some where dry to sit. One day the smaller of the two had a pile of tissue paper and bad smell, it was taken down next time I went.

The whole subject is very dependant on individual cercumstances, varing from kids being kids to stuff that is actually a useful improvemnt to litter and recking the woodland.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
There was two really well put together shelters in a country park where I used to live. They were useful if the weather turned a bit and wanted some where dry to sit. One day the smaller of the two had a pile of tissue paper and bad smell, it was taken down next time I went.

The whole subject is very dependant on individual cercumstances, varing from kids being kids to stuff that is actually a useful improvemnt to litter and recking the woodland.

There is a shelter in a woods near me that has been there for two years at least. The wood is owned and managed by the local wildlife trust and the contractors are regularly working there. If they did not want the shelter there it wouldn't be. There are also numerous piles of sticks, they are not shelters but the products of coppicing. I did once see (in another part of the woods) a bunch of guys helping themselves to wood, with axes etc. to build a fire. I have no doubt that they were not legit, and I reported what I had seen. I didn't interfere, would you if you were on your own?

This year the woods have become more overgrown than they usually are in summer, I think that may have discouraged the two legged rats from wandering off the beaten track anyway.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I seriously wish that abandoned shelters were the major problem on public land. But it seems over here that the criminals like to use State or National Park land for their marijuana farms. I suppose even that wouldn't be so bad if growing was all they did; however, boobytrapping the area around their plants with fish-hooks suspended at eye level is their preferred way of protecting their crops from legitimate outdoorspeople.

Sep 16, 2012
chippenham
i dont see any huge issue with leaving them in fact one time on a escape and evasion exercise me and my mucker hid in one :) saved us from the weather and a foot patrol so thanks goto the kids or cadets that built it ! as long as it is not dangerous or uses man made bits and not in anyones way leave them be

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE