Natural cordage options during winter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Long whippy briar roses are brilliant. Rushes (the little green ones in tussocky grass, up to three feet long) withered iris leaves (see the basket I made) retted barks, from willow to lime, intestines, honeysuckle, and sometimes clematis and hops too.

cheers,
Toddy

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
For me I use inner bark from willow or lime but chestnut comes a close third boiled in a lye solution and then split then a standard twist weave does the trick image.jpg

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
nettle is very good and when turned into cordage correctly is very very strong, you can use grasses too, well, any thing with long fibres really....:):):):):)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Tried making some cord today with the stuff I boiled but it wasn't very strong. What width strips should I use per strand?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm really surprised. Willow bark twine is very strong indeed, and especially so when damp.

Ehm, usually I strip it down to 2 or 3mm thick and either make string or use multiple strands to make bootlace thick cordage.
If I want thicker I ply that up.
I wouldn't go more than 5mm for spun and laid, though that might just be me, iimmc. It plaits quite well too.

I strip it and soak it for a day or so....it kind of goes sweet, certainly tastes sweeter when you nip off the sticky out plys (yeah, my dentist gives me hell :eek: ), and I don't boil it.
I've got some here that I made ten years ago and it's still sound.

cheers,
Toddy

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Nettles are really good, but lime bark is simple to do. It can be Don in any size pretty easily. You can make a tow rope strong enough to pull a landrover, out of grass.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE