Native American Programme Tonight BBC4 21.00

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't watch these programs any more, They usually just swap the Hollywood stereo type for a modern idealized one. They completely ignore that there were hundreds of different, separate Indian cultures ranging from farming cultures in the east to ritual canninbalism in the southwest.

This programme may be different...but you'll never know will you lol

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I bet America won :)

Nope. Not the American League but the National League team. Slowly I watched each of my chosen teams eliminated during the playoffs. Last night was no exception. LOL. San Francisco won.

That said many of the players on all the teams are actually Caribean born. And at least one team is Canadian (the Toronto Blue Jays) though they've never won a World Series. I was dissappointed that baseball only stayed in the olympics for one session. I'd also like to see the champs from last night face the Japanese leagues, the Philipino leagues, and the Mexican leagues.

CORRECTION!!!! The Toronto Blue Jays have won not one, but two World Series! 1992 and 1993.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks. But it won't play outside the UK.

It'll be on youtube soon no doubt.

One thing I noticed, people like Ray Mears insists on referring to American Indians as 'first nation' and yet they themselves use the term 'Indian' how very un-pc of them, they should have a good telling off.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

One thing I noticed, people like Ray Mears insists on referring to American Indians as 'first nation' and yet they themselves use the term 'Indian' how very un-pc of them, they should have a good telling off.

Unfortunately both terms are inaccurate. Most people know the term "Indian" came about because Christopher Columbus mistakenly believed he had reached asia. What most don't realize though is that the Indians actually displaced an earlier people so they're not truly the "first" nations.

A more popular term here is "Native American" but that's still misleading as technically so are those of us of European descent who have been here for generations.

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
One thing I noticed, people like Ray Mears insists on referring to American Indians as 'first nation' and yet they themselves use the term 'Indian' how very un-pc of them, they should have a good telling off.[/QUOTE]

My Canadian friends always ue the term "first nations". Is this just a Canadian term?

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton

Times change Rik, a lot of things that used to be acceptable aren't anymore. Not sure about America but in Canada First Nations seems to be used and acceptable amongst themselves.

Wow, you had radios and everything back in the day eh? :lmao:

Ya we'd just got electricity so we thought we'd try the wireless out...amazing times they were!

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I read something lately which basically said that the ancient prejudice that American Indians were bloodthirsty savages was wrong, but so is the modern myth that they were ecologically sound woodspirits in tune with nature. The reality is they were neither saints nor sinners, but somewhere in-between.

Apparently much of their eco-friendliness stems from their small population, rather than anything deliberate. A quick googling of the term "Buffalo Jump" will reveal that the Native Americans were quite capable of being both highly wasteful and harmful to the environment.

The modern predilection for romanticising and idealising tribal cultures has a lot to answer for. As much as I like Ray Mears, he is particularly guilty of this. I saw one episode of his where he was interviewing a guy who claimed to be a member of some tribe or another, and he was obviously 7/8ths Caucasian if ever anyone was. I guess he thought that part of his heritage was more "exotic", probably because of the aforementioned idealising and romanticising.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE