National Trust land

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
im my experience National Trust are not the most helpfully fellows in the land. The only time i have tried to wild camp on NT land has caused me grief. Eventhough i pitched a small one man tent on moorland at dusk. was polite and professional. I still got moved on. Perhaps approaching the regional offices with a request to use their land might be the way to go. I wish you luck.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Hmmm...I'm a bit torn here. I'm a long-time member of the National Trust and I believe that without the National Trust, many amazing areas and buildings would have been developed or would not be accessible to the public. However, some of these areas are the perfect places to go bushcrafting!

I understand that NT wardens can be somewhat draconian but if they let one person do something, then they technically have to let everyone do it, on all of their sites. I think I can see where they're coming from.

Having said that, I have bivvy'd on NT land (by mistake!) and wasn't moved on. Probably because I didn't have a fire (a huge NT no-no), I usd a bivvy bag and sleeping bag, and cooked on a gas stove. I was up and oving on early the next morning and it was only then I saw the sign! Oops...

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
So no camping and no fires... oh dear :oops: one very guilty person here.
Round here we just have a few small plots that I imagine don't see a ranger from one year to the next... but I suppose there is always the risk.
In that case, where is it legal to camp and have fires? Surely everyone here doesn't own huge tracts of private land? :?: And how do I tell what's public land that I can do most anything on and what's not on a map? :?:

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I grew up on Exmoor and NT and Forestry Commission land was our playground and we learnt all our bush craft skills on this land. We built huge shelters, tree houses and even an underground bunker. We hunted, fished and set traps, cut down trees and had fires but we did all this out of sight of praying eyes, in areas that were out of the way with few people around and difficult access. It was the local farmers we were scared of getting caught by as they may shoot you with rock salt and then tell your dad were as the wardens would just move you on after giving a stern talking too.

I only ever make camp at last light but only after having a bit of a nose about to see if there is any other sign of life, if there is I move on. Once in camp if disturbed by anyone I will move on. That is just the way I do it because it works for me, I do not cook my main meal were I intend to spend the night and will only boil some water after being in camp for a couple of hours before getting my head down and first thing in the morning, I am always up at first light and back my gear whilst the water boils. After that first hot brew of the day I will move off down the trail a little way before stopping for a spot a breakfast.

During the winter I like to get out in to the field during a really cold snap and I don’t I don’t worry so much then because firstly there are far fewer people about and those that are about have to be out for one reason or another so they don’t kick up a fuss. Back in 1991 whilst out on the Southdown in some very rear snow, I was caught by a notorious land owner whilst still in my pit with some water on the boil. After some panic I said good morning would care to join me for a coffee, to my surprise he said yes. He was amazed that I had spent the night on his land with so little kit and had not caused and damage or left any rubbish lying around and the only space I hade used was the space of my sleeping bag, poncho and rucksack. He explained to me that his experience of people staying on his land was tents, fires, damage and rubbish. Saying that though I think the harsh winter weather had something to do with his attitude, if it had been a summer’s morning with hoards of people crossing his land on the public rights of way I think I would have just got a mouth full or even worst.

My advice is be sensible and don’t attract attention to yourself and you might just get away with it,

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
arctic hobo said:
And how do I tell what's public land that I can do most anything on and what's not on a map? :?:

National Trust ground is marked on the OS maps (purple border with an oak leaf or castle in Scotland) as is Forestry Commission land (purple border with tree sign). Otherwise it's best to check with SNH/English Nature etc. or the Wildlife Trusts to see if it's designated ground e.g. SSSI, Nature reserve etc. Best way to check on local ownership is to drop into the nearest farms (phone first) or enquire at the local village or town. You must have the landowners permission to pick/uproot wild plants.

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
If I'm going to camp on any 'public' / NT land I carry a section 6 (squatters rights) notice with me, any hassle I tell them I'm there under those rights, have a right to use the land 'as if it were mine' in order to disposess them and that usually convinces them to give me license to stay for a couple of days. I've even had the police, called by the 'owner' tell the owner they had to leave as I was in the right.

OK it's not the most subtle way but as a back up for when, all attempts to be inconspicuous fail, it can be useful.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
pardon my ignorance, what's a squatters rights notice?

not sure it applies in scotland anyway but it would be useful for others wouldn't it?

cheers mate

Tant

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
R-Bowskill said:
If I'm going to camp on any 'public' / NT land I carry a section 6 (squatters rights) notice with me, any hassle I tell them I'm there under those rights, have a right to use the land 'as if it were mine' in order to disposess them and that usually convinces them to give me license to stay for a couple of days. I've even had the police, called by the 'owner' tell the owner they had to leave as I was in the right.

OK it's not the most subtle way but as a back up for when, all attempts to be inconspicuous fail, it can be useful.

thats hardly painting the bushcraft community in the best possible light. :nono:
10 out of 10 for cheek though

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
R-Bowskill said:

How to annoy people in one easy lesson.

Burnt Ash

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Burnt Ash said:
How to annoy people in one easy lesson.

Burnt Ash
Yeah, I agree. You may not agree with land ownership issues but I've always found you get much further if you approach people in an open and friendly manner instead of trying to wind them up.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
R-Bowskill said:

Try that with some of the land owners on Exmoor and most other parts of the country and you will only start a lot of trouble for yourself. I do not know of any farmer/land owner being prosecuted for shooting someone with rock salt.

To be honest with you, I don’t think you have ever been to a wild part of the country because if you have you will know that there are not that many police officers around and they just don’t turn up when you phone them.

I would also like to say if that’s bush craft for you, then you should keep it to your back garden because there is no place for that sort of attitude.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE