National Insurance Contributions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im trying to find out how many I have got.

The online system is unusable.

So I wrote to the Tax office -before Christmas.

No reply yet.

What Do I do? I though of using the local tax office. But that closed some years ago.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I found the online system to be very good once you are in to the government gateway or whatever they call it.

Can you get to this page? https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record There is a section there which says

Other ways to apply​

You can request a printed National Insurance statement:

You’ll need to say which years you want your statement to cover. You cannot request statements for the current or previous tax year.

You can also write to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

National Insurance contributions and Employers Office
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AN

Reactions: Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ill try that.

Currently I am attempting to use the online system

For verification they want my passport details (havent got one)

or credit card application date. (I havent one of those either)

Im awaiting on online chat...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Alan's right; and they will send you a printed statement. I found that the statements from them were very clear.

We changed banks and the system mucked up; I paid twice for one month. The tax folks sorted it out before I even noticed.

M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ill try that.

Currently I am attempting to use the online system

For verification they want my passport details (havent got one)

or credit card application date. (I havent one of those either)

Im awaiting on online chat...

Regardless of what one thinks of a credit card or more aptly how one may use it - they are a very useful tool for building up ones credit identity.

You may not feel this is an important thing for you at this time - and maybe it isn't - but down the road you may find out it was time well spent to invest in managing a CC to build up your Credit history.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Regardless of what one thinks of a credit card or more aptly how one may use it - they are a very useful tool for building up ones credit identity.

You may not feel this is an important thing for you at this time - and maybe it isn't - but down the road you may find out it was time well spent to invest in managing a CC to build up your Credit history.

Easy enough if you manage your money correctly too. And super useful for things like hiring a car abroad too

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Totally agree on the credit card front. Went to Canada a fair few years ago armed with my debit card to an account that was healthy enough for my trip, and some cash..hotels freaked out, hire car companies didn't want to know...

All sorted in the end, but it was harder work.

Got a CC a few years ago and always pay it off in full, it accrues history as well as some "free money" too (via the rewards side of things).

Reactions: FerlasDave

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I think I might need some money first.
You might, but equally if your credit rating is already "ok" enough to apply for the card you could do so and apply for the ones that don't charge you any sort of annual fee, when it arrives chop it into a billion pieces and throw it away... that way you'll have zero ability to use it if the temptation arises and you'll automatically start accruing the "I've owned a credit card for X years and never not missed a payment" brownie points...

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
2021 was the year I applied for and was given a credit card. Up until then I had no use whatsoever for one but buying stuff on t’internet requires a way to pay that has some protection from scammers and there are still a good number of companies, unfortunately, who do not offer paypal.

IMO a poor credit rating is an asset as you can’t borrow silly amounts of money!
S

Reactions: BumblingAlong

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
2021 was the year I applied for and was given a credit card. Up until then I had no use whatsoever for one but buying stuff on t’internet requires a way to pay that has some protection from scammers and there are still a good number of companies, unfortunately, who do not offer paypal.

IMO a poor credit rating is an asset as you can’t borrow silly amounts of money!
S

Surely thats a case of self discipline being the issue not the credit card or rating?

Bit like blaming the existence of fast foods restaurants for being fat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It came today.

14 years. I am depressed.

You have time on your side. Have they given you a kind of payment schedule ? or advice on how to build up your years ?

Imagine how bad those ladies who worked and paid in, believing they'd be given their pensions, only to be told they had to work another seven years, feel about it.

I honestly believe that even handedness is absolutely fair, for men and women, but it totally screwed up life planning for many, especially those who were/are ailing enough that they just kept working knowing that it had an end date....which they shifted from under them.

My Grandpa worked full time until he was 82, by his choice and his employers' I hasten to add, and even after he retired they kept calling him back to fix things (engineer) but there's not many want to work to that age.
I have a horrible thought that the govt. will stretch out the pension date for both as far as they can :sigh:

M

Last edited:

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
I've worked best part of 51 years,retired last year,i still do a bit of odd jobbing,neighbours gardens etc,and there aint no way i'm ever going to get a fraction of me contributions back.Unless this elixir i'm working on works.:coffee2:

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I retired 23 years ago, I get a service pension and my Government wrinkly pension. I've started getting telephone calls from the Government, such as..
" How are you feeling?"..." You're very well!! Oh! dear that is ba.. I mean good news."
I was almost run over the other day..by a black car which didn't stop, it had a Ministry number plate...:roflmao:..:roflmao:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
JOB is Just Over Broke and pays the daily needs and bills..

Its always been the side hustle that tends to put one ahead to allow for investing.

Reactions: FerlasDave

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
It came today.

14 years. I am depressed.
Tengu
you need to look at the exceptions from paying contributions, and getting credit for such as caring for someone, raising children, unemployment, low income, full time education possibly, etc, etc.
A lot of people do not fully understand the pension system, the cost to someone for a new pension, 30 years contributions, is actually a little under £27k, a lot less in some cases, so it would only take you less than 4 years to recoup this amount after starting to collect your pension, for missing years it costs £880 to buy another years entitlement, each year you buy gets you £5 extra per week,(up to the maximum full pension) for earlier years you pay at the rate for that year so it costs less. For self employed people with low profits its £2.60 pw.
Although the pension is not enough to live on, in most cases, it is probably the best investment you will ever make, providing you live long enough to collect it, and survive for a few years after.to get the same pension from a pension pot you would need to have in the region of £150,000.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, they have suggested I buy years; but I have only until this April to do so, and that is £800 per year; plus the years a long time past are out of date.

Im currently trying to pay for my Uni course...SFE are not helping.

Ill try and sell some kit and maybe scare up enough cash for one extra year.

Dad says I should be working.

He doesnt understand what a predicament I am in; He has a full state pension and several private ones.

Plus, of course, he has me and several relatives looking out for him.

I am the baby of the family. There will be no one to look after me, money or no money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE