Nanok v Snugpak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
I am thinking of investing in a new sleeping bag. I am currently considering the Nanok Endurance -10C or Snugpak Softie Elite 4. Both are around the same price.

It will be mainly for year round hammock use, with some tent use in the winter. I will also use it for canoe camping, which is why I have opted for a synthetic (it is also a bit cheaper than a decent down, I am trying to keep the costs down)

Does anyone have any experience of the above (positive or negative) or any helpful advice?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I find a central zip works better in a hammock, the Nanoks have side zips, not sure about the Snugpak. I have several Nanok bags, they are well made and I would recommend them, just not for use in a hammock, I think a member here has a company which sells them, possibly with a discount for BCUK members.

:)

Last edited:

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
AFAIK the wood lore bags are made by Nanok and have a centre zip but there is quite a premium. The Nanok Sf has twin side, slightly higher, zips. The Snugpak Elite is has one side zip and a built-in expander. At the time I was looking Elites were made in China with panel whilst Softies are made in Blighty with optional zip in panel that is extra. The Antarctica has a centre zip.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...the wood lore bags are made by Nanok and have a centre zip but there is quite a premium..."

The Woodlore range work well in a hammock, they are more expensive, but the center zip isn't the only difference compared to the Nanok range, the Woodlore bags are superior in every way (other than weight). :D

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
The Snugpak Special Forces Combo (or the individual bags as well) have a centre zip. You can add the two together to make a four seasons + bag, whereas individually one is a summer bag and the other is a three seasons bag. Very good, but I've moved over to down to keep my pack light.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
The Snugpak Special Forces Combo (or the individual bags as well) have a centre zip. You can add the two together to make a four seasons + bag, whereas individually one is a summer bag and the other is a three seasons bag. Very good, but I've moved over to down to keep my pack light.

i have The Snugpak Special Forces Combo bags very good bags

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had the Snugpak Elite 4 for a while, great bag, nice and toasty down to -9*c. The only down side was the weight and bulk, not an issue in a canoe though.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I'm happy with Snugpack SF1 as a summer, & SF2 as a winter bag. SF1 fairly small but SF2 is a big old bergan filler! Not used a Woodlore centre zip bag, but agree that quality will be first rate. A friend of mine has one & I have noted it has a quite big pack-size too. Email Woodlore if you want any details not on the web, they'll get back to you I'm sure. I'm away fri-mon and have a busy couple of days this week, I can answer any further questions about the Snugpack bags when I get home if you like.

Both the snugpak Antarctic and special forces have centre zips. I think they also have a side zip which you can use the expander panel in. Elites are made in China but last time I checked their catalogue the Antarctic and special forces are made in the UK from memory.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i prefer nanok to snugpak, i haven't used expensive ones, just couldn't get on with my elite 3 and felt a bit claustrophobic. got a nanok comfort i think it is, 2 zips and more spacious. pay for 'comfort' with extra weight and bulk tho. however, my good old 58 patt down bag is very comfortable!

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
hi rabbitsmaker i own the snugpack special forces combo system and i am a lager lad and have no problems with being claustrophobic..i still have room to move in it cheers shogun

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Snugpak, Snugpak,Snugpak

As you acn probably tell, i'm a Snugpak fan.

I have used my 3 season bag in a hammock down to zero and was plenty warm enough. If it gate really cold i put a Snugpak 1 season inside the 3 season and a bivvy bag.

No worries

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE