Naked Rambler Lock him up or let him roam free?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I think it a good policy to give people the benefit of the doubt. If he says he means no harm I see no reason not to take him at his word without some actual evidence to the contrary.

And at least with a nudist, you know he's not concealing a weapon so random violence is less of a worry ;)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
You said he had no right to waggle his penis around anywhere near your kids, as far as I can gather he is protesting his right to not wear clothes, not to waggle his penis. It has very different connotations, and your efforts to be insulting just because you have been questioned are very funny :)

So you think it should be ok for everyone to have the choice not to wear clothes?

Think about your answer as it sounds great at first, until you see the type of people that participate in these activities.

As i say i'm pretty open minded, but i don't think many will disagree that eating your dinner while having some 22 stone 67 year old bloke sit at the table opposite you stark bollock naked doesn't do much for your appetite.

What about during a school swimming event, is it ok for guys to sit there naked?
How about on public buses?
Hardly hygienic is it.

Nobody in their right mind would want to walk around naked in public, so the conclusion must be drawn that this guy has obvious mental illness problems.
That being the case why should we as a society accept health and predatory risks for 1 mentally ill guy out of millions?
What gains are there to walking round naked?
What does this guy gain, if he had some rare skin condition i could perhaps cut him a little slack, but there is absolutely no gain to be had.

My efforts were aimed towards humour not insults, so i'm glad you didn't take offence.

P.S.
You still didn't answer my question.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
Can you prove he is mentally ill? The criminal services obviously don't think he is else he would be sectioned.

Point of info, he needs to be a danger to himself or others to get sectioned, not just mentally ill. With resources being short it's bloody hard to get sectioned these days. Even then if the condition is classified as a personality disorder, rather than an illness, he wouldn't get sectioned.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I can't answer your question untill the situation presents itself, it would be the demeanour of the person approaching
, the enviroment we were in that would be responded too. No assumptions. So is it. Would you react like this to a woman breast feeding her child ?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I think it a good policy to give people the benefit of the doubt. If he says he means no harm I see no reason not to take him at his word without some actual evidence to the contrary.

And at least with a nudist, you know he's not concealing a weapon so random violence is less of a worry ;)

I agree that giving people the benifit of doubt is usually a good thing.

Only time i refuse to is if the health and protection of my kids is in doubt.

Can you prove he is mentally ill? The criminal services obviously don't think he is else he would be sectioned.

Can you prove Anders Breivik is mentally ill?
Of course not, there are still questions today about his sanity after hundreds of hours of analysis by some of the top experts.

So i have no entitlement to judge anyones mental health to the point of it counting as "Proof"

I am entitled to an opinion though, and my opinion is that for someone to want around naked in public they have to have mental health problems.
There is no other logical explanation for it.

Last edited:

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Well point taken, although I seriously doubt a weapon "concealed" ;) on a naked man would be what one might call "readily available".

I thought prisoners used sharpened toothbrushes for weapons......

In any case, as I say, I see no evidence that Mr. Gough is a threat to anyone save the income of clothes manufacturers - so he really doesn't bother me.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I can't answer your question untill the situation presents itself, it would be the demeanour of the person approaching
, the enviroment we were in that would be responded too. No assumptions. So is it. Would you react like this to a woman breast feeding her child ?

A fair enough approach. Unfortunately the comparison to the breast feeding works both ways. True logic says one should be as acceptable as the other but----the fact that you even bring it up goes to show that there is a different level of public acceptnce. That's the heart of the issue isn't it? Is what he's doing acceptable to the public? Or not?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece

Your very good at questioning other peoples views, which i commend you on.
Only fly in the ointment is you seem to put more effort into enkindling up reactions than you do putting your own opinion forward.

It's great that my views and opinions are questioned, it helps me solidify, change or completely discount them.
It's very disappointing though when no thought or conviction is put behind their own opinions though.

To answer your question.
Breast feeding a child is feeding it the nutrients it absolutely NEEDS to survive, that is the polar opposite of a guy walking around the countries public footpaths totally naked.

How many people would fear for their children's safety if they say near a breast feeding mother?
Very very few.

How many people would fear for their children's safety if a naked man approached their kids on a public footpath in the middle of nowhere?
Majority of parents IMO.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well point taken, although I seriously doubt a weapon "concealed" ;) on a naked man would be what one might call "readily available".

I though prisoners used sharpened toothbrushes......

In any case, as I say, I see no evidence that Mr. Gough is a threat to anyone save the income of clothes manufacturers - so he really doesn't bother me.

They use a variety of weapons. The most common toothbrush weapon involves stealing the blade from a disposable razor and melting it into the toothbrush handle; that's why we were so strict about accounting for those items. Home made guns are also popular as are weapons made from something as innocuous as toilet paper (it hardens like plaster after being wet) They can make rather good rope from garbage bags by cutting it into strips and braiding it (it's as good as any commercial polyester rope)

But as you and Southey pointed out, a nudist isn't going to be able to quickly deploy a keestered weapon.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
She could express the milk at home an bottle feed the child.

As indeed nursing mothers were expected to until recently. And a good thing too that such anti-breastfeeding sentiment is on the way out.

If she's not hurting anyone what the mother does is none of anyone else's business. The same goes for the naked rambler.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
The point is in societies of the world we have limits on what we class as social decency.

For a guy to walk around in public is not socially acceptable.
Does that impede on his human right?

Don't know and don't care to be honest, he shouldn't be allowed to walk around naked in my view.
It's not as though we're asking him to do any sort of hardship is it, the vast vast majority of our race cover up to some degree, even if he had a rare skin condition then putting on a pair of speedo's is hardly a hardship is it.

This guy wants to do what ever he wants, if the papers hadn't caught on about it he'd have lost interest and faded back into obscurity.

Maybe this guys intentions were innocent, but if you let him walk around naked in public where does it stop?
Will stopping someone urinating in public detract from their human rights?
How about allowing them to masturbate in public, should we allow that?
How about a person masturbating in front of a school playground?

May sound far fetched, but once a precedent is set then even if this guys intentions where innocent it still opens the door for everyone else to enter and abuse it.

You see there has to be a line drawn in the side as to what we consider acceptable behaviour.

Who's to say that if this guy is allowed to walk around naked some scumbag paedophile doesn't jump on the bandwagon.

As i say if you walk towards my kids naked on a public footpath in the middle of nowhere i'll do anything within my power to get you as far away from my kids as i physically can.
You can talk about human rights and intentions after.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
She could express the milk at home an bottle feed the child. I did answer your question with my view?

She could, but the act is still natural.
My experience shows that mothers are usually extremely discrete about it as well.

A guy walking towards my kids naked is not discrete.
If he was wearing speedo's it'd be discrete.

For the record though.
I see no correlation between a mother breast feeding and a guy walking round naked in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE