Naked Rambler Lock him up or let him roam free?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Different country, different culture and you note someone complained :rolleyes: :D

M

Different attitudes, different level of tolerance......

Similar laws though so not an inappropriate comparison.

Yes there was a complaint. We have the odd curtain twitcher in NZ too. Perhaps we should send them all to Scotland? :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See there's the point; the police only respond if someone complains.
Someone only complains if they are worried, concerned or offended.

For all the opprobium heaped on us, both England and Canada had reports about him too.
It's just that here he's being stubborn and come up agin folks who are even more stubborn than his ego :rolleyes:

By the sounds of it New Zealand tolerance is also strained by their home grown iijit. Builder it says....bet that's fun :rolleyes: :D

If it bothers no one, there's no issue. Clearly his behaviour does bother folks.

Ex royal marine......thirty+ years ago, and he didn't like it and got out asap; claim to fame when in reality he's an irresponsible social drop out.

Big world out there :) but we share it with others.

cheers,
M

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Where's my human rights to have a dump in the street, I hate using the toilet inside. :( The man's a barmpot and that other bloke on his bike? not an exhibitionist? my a***! :rolleyes: as some have intimated, there's a time and place for it isn't there?

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Where's my human rights to have a dump in the street, I hate using the toilet inside. :( The man's a barmpot and that other bloke on his bike? not an exhibitionist? my a***! :rolleyes: as some have intimated, there's a time and place for it isn't there?

Possibly but in the end it is a matter of opinion. In New Zealand most people don't seem to find Lowe's behaviour offensive. I don't either but you and Toddy obviously do. As far as I can see Gough isn't that different he has just been handled differently by the Scottish authorities. Is he an idiot? No idea but nothing I've read so far makes me think so. Personally I think he is deliberately pushing the system He wants to change things. Personally I wish him good luck with it as I'd rather see things move the way he wants than the way those offended by casual nudity want.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Ignorant as well as stupid. No party I might set up in England could influence affairs in Scotland and why would it be necessary any way? You will have to explain infiltrating the system as a requirement for change when our democratic processes are available which include free discourse in the media apart from boards like this which have certain limits freely entered into.

Parliament has no influence on Scotland? Their own legal system is not an absolute you know - or maybe didn't...............

But good to see you actually agree with democracy. Pity you don't agree with the laws passed in that democracy, and clearly haven't done anything to change those laws (apart from whinging of course:) ).

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I read the first couple of pages of this thread and then lazily jumped to this page.

Let's put things into perspective, and apologies if this has been asked already, but to me it's quite important;

Is his rucksack a Vulcan?

Liam

p.s. damn, beaten to it in post #278

Last edited:

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Sounds like the system may have finally broken him. Years of waging a one man war without an ounce of outside help will do that eventually.

Mr Gough said he believed he was not guilty of breach of the peace because he felt much of the evidence was based on opinions rather than facts.

Fiscal Brian Robertson asked Mr Gough if he accepted that a number of people would get alarmed at seeing him naked.

Mr Gough said he would not use the word ''alarmed'' but he could understand that people might get angry or upset.

Breaking down and crying, Mr Gough added: ''There is nothing about me as a human being that is indecent or alarming or offensive ... this is coming from deep inside."

Sheriff Williamson said: ''During the trial there were points when I was concerned about your emotional behaviour and a bit concerned if you were in control of yourself.

"I want someone to look at your mental health to see it is all it should be otherwise you will keep serving prison sentence after prison sentence.''

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Fi...ssessment-of-naked-rambler-stephen-gough.html

I'm sure the courts will be delighted if they can finally find him insane as he will stop being their problem.

Last edited:

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
You know, this trot out the kids thing is a known killer of conversation and debate and it should be seen for what it is, adults using kids to get their point across, when it is mostly adults are the ones with the problem. But we are a prudish country there is no doubt about that and to say although we are in the twenty first century, most still hang onto Victorian attitudes when it comes to issues of appearance, but it is a thing with the Victorians, although they were all prim and proper on the surface, they got up to all sorts when they thought no one was watching, so it could be said Victorian attitudes were about deceit.

Now we have an issue in this country regarding nudity and numerous sex crimes that don't seem to be going away, could it be the reason we have so many problems with sex crimes is influenced by the fact we are so prudish about the human body, sure we have no problem seeing other animals in the buff, even mating, that is seen as perfectly natural, but we get all prudish when it comes to the human animal in public at least. We are part of nature too, not something separate from it and in order to be natural and there perhaps relaxed we should accept the nature of ourselves. But as to the naked rambler, I wonder would the attitude be the same if it was a nubile young woman that was doing it, or is it women are allowed to be seen au natrel but men aren't ?

Does anyone understand it is legal for a woman to be seen in a state of sexual excitement but not a man, where would life be without what we are so prudish about.

But take other countries that suffer less issues with sex related crimes and then look at their attitude towards nudity, it proves something, we have it wrong and we really do need to lighten up. As to children, they understand a lot more than we think they do and it is a fact children when they see nudity, it tends to be something to find fun in and giggle at, so where is the offence in that.

As to naked rambling in this country, it's too cold even in summer and just think about the nettles en route, and the brambles, in that case there is a reason for clothing, as protection from nature.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Cornwall population = 535,300, and has an area of 3563 km2

Central Scotland = 70% of the 5.2 million population, about 3,655,400 in an area of 9872 km2

Tell me again that there's no reason he shouldn't wander naked here ? Seven times the population in less than three times the area..........and it's urbanised.

Civilisation has it's roots in the behaviour acceptable of full citizens living in the urbs.
Basically enough of the population don't consider his behaviour acceptable where they live.

cheers,
Toddy

There is something else, the Cornish are a bit more laid back than other parts of the country and to understand although the population might be such, it is a popular tourist destination where in the holiday season, the numbers of toursits actually strain the population and those who visit come from all over the UK and beyond, yet this man was not hassled in Cornwall.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know this thread is a pain :sigh:

He was arrested this time for refusing to dress when in the vicinity of a children's playground. That was what he did to cause enough distress that parents called the police.

In this country, prudish or not, it's not acceptable behaviour. That's the bottom line (no pun intended) if it's bothering no one, do as you like; but when your behaviour is inappropriate to the place and the people there, then be courteous about it.
It's not rocket science.
If he wants to get his kit off there are plenty of places around where he can do so without upsetting anyone.
A children's playground, where no one knows him, or how he's likely to behave, is not the place.

Tbh I'm pleased the Sheriff has asked for medical health reports on this fellow ( and Santaman he's been a lorry driver a heck of a lot longer than he ever was a marine :rolleyes: ) if he'd simply go home and settle where he's known that surely would be an improvement on a life in solitary interspersed with brief forays into fresh air.

Time and place, and company appropriate to his behaviour.
No fuss, no bother, world at peace :)

Toddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE