Naked Rambler Lock him up or let him roam free?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
93 year old retired Colonel Carruthers and 90 year old Colonel Smythe were sitting on a bench in the garden of the retirement home they lived in. Just then, 91 year old Miss Davies went jogging past stark naked.

Carruthers "Smythe was that Miss Davies running past then"

Smythe "Not sure old boy, not got me glasses on; tell you one thing, whoever it was needs to get their clothes ironed"

I'll get me coat.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Just seen this thread and I wonder who he has offended as there never seems to be a witness brought into court to say so. Incidentally offending isn't a criminal offence. Alarming people and that sort of thing might be but nobody has ever said he has so I am puzzled how he was convicted. Interesting if an Indian Fakir who believes in Holy nakedness was wandering around Britain, small bet that he wouldn't be prosecuted, religion being an acceptable excuse but not someone's own inner feelings.

Official prudishness is bizarre, there were calls for women running in aid of breast cancer research not to wear bras over their clothes because, according to some councillor "children might see them"

Last edited:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Incidentally if the information allegedly given to a poster on here by those whose responsibility he isis true then he should be released because he could not get a fair trial with such prejudicial matter being published and there should be disciplinary action taken against those who so breached their professional and legal duties as to make public such information and opinions.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Incidentally offending isn't a criminal offence. Alarming people and that sort of thing might be but nobody has ever said he has..."

In Scotland causing offence may be considered to be a 'breach of the peace' a kind of catch all offense which is defined as "conduct which does, or could, cause the public to be placed in a state of fear, alarm or annoyance. He may not have annoyed anyone, he may not have alarmed anyone or placed them in a state of fear, however the judicial system has, after some discussion, decided that he his nakedness might cause such and thus he is repeatably charged with a breach of the peace whenever he is released from prison and attempts to walk back to England in a state of undress.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I don't care, either lock him up or let him amble about the countryside with his chull hanging out. As long as he's not harming anyone or pulling the head off it in public.

Seems a bit of an attention seeker though. Meh.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
In Scotland causing offence may be considered to be a 'breach of the peace' a kind of catch all offense which is defined as "conduct which does, or could, cause the public to be placed in a state of fear, alarm or annoyance. He may not have annoyed anyone, he may not have alarmed anyone or placed them in a state of fear, however the judicial system has, after some discussion, decided that he his nakedness might cause such and thus he is repeatably charged with a breach of the peace whenever he is released from prison and attempts to walk back to England in a state of undress.

What discussion? The decision of a lone person in judgement. Sounds like judicial pomposity and I would agree he also is being pig-headed.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If he walked naked through the villages round here, it's breach of the peace.....if he was lucky :rolleyes:
Inciting public disorder would be a distinct possibity :D but wasting police time would be reason enough to have him up in front of the Sheriff Court.

He's being incredibly discourteous. He's literally walking through the areas that folk consider to be their home and he's doing it with two fingers up in the air, not giving a damn about the annoyance or irritation or upset that he's causing.
Prize pillock really.

cheers,
Toddy

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...What discussion? The decision of a lone person in judgement. Sounds like judicial pomposity..."

If you were to peruse the linked article I resurrected this thread with earlier today you will discover that it wasn't quite so simple.

"...Twice Scottish sheriffs found in Gough's favour that no had been committed, both in him being naked in public and being naked in court. "Both times the sheriffs were elderly females,"....Eventually Gough's case was heard at Scotland's appeal court, where it was found that breach of the peace should indeed be interpreted to criminalise his behaviour..."

I am indifferent to his behaviour, however I appreciate that others are not, that alone should be reason for him to cover up in populated areas, he disagrees with this point of view and is willing to spend years if not the rest of his life behind bars for what he believes in. He may not be the full shilling or just really really bloody minded.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thing is though, that while he moulders away in stubborn stupidity, his mother's ageing, his children are growing up, the sun's shining.....and all he needs to do is put his clothes on long enough to get home..........where he says he won't go naked again anyway! :rolleyes:

If it were for some humanitarian cause, for the betterment of mankind, for any redeeming plea, then fine; but it's not, it's just his personal satisfaction.
As a nation we don't go about naked on a daily basis, he admits that he wore clothes at night, when no one could see him, so it's really about his desire to be seen to be naked, that's the issue.
Scottish Sheriff's are busy enough, they won't have much patience with an idiot.

Funny thing to choose to waste a life over, tbh.

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

What I find most disturbing is how much steven gough has aged during his inprisionment. I feel like I am watching a man get imprisioned indeffinatly for not conforming, I dont agree with that at all . It is cruel. That says more about our legal system than him. He could live in tipi valley and never wear another stitch again for the rest of his life and no-one would notice. I am far more offended that we live in a society that inprisons a man for a decade in solitary for not wearing clothes than i am by a naked man.

He tried to walk around scotland!!! conditions only come in two sizes , midgefest or blooming cold, he doesn't disearve what we have done to him for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE